Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skaggs Sets His Standards High for 2002

skaggs.jpg

Skaggs Sets His Standards High for 2002

06/17/2002

By Tom Mackie

Redskins Insider Correspondent

In the realm of professional football, there’s nothing more refreshing than a player who exudes confidence. Someone who is full of candor, but not boastful. A player who despite steep odds, refuses to hide behind clichéd answers.

Redskins wide receiver Justin Skaggs is such a player. And without his intense resolve, he likely wouldn’t be lining up against stars like Darrell Green or Champ Bailey.

Last year after a productive career at tiny Evangel University in Missouri, the sleek 6-2, 200-pound receiver knew a pro career would never happen unless he took matters into his own hands. While last year's coaching staff poured over tapes of potential top receivers before the 2001 draft, Skaggs spent endless hours in Evangel’s film room making highlight tapes of himself to send to NFL teams.

“I sat in the there hour after hour dubbing tapes, cutting tapes. I made about 24 tapes and sent them out to teams just hoping someone would take an interest,” says Skaggs. “The Redskins were the only team that did.”

Charlie Brown, the former Redskin great from the Joe Gibbs era and last year a team scout, noticed something special about Skaggs. Maybe it was the fact that Skaggs never took a play off. Or that he not only led Evangel in receptions his senior year, but also he played safety, returned kickoffs and even kicked field goals when they were too far for their regular kicker to attempt. What Brown found was a throwback football player.

“All the other teams said things like, ‘He doesn’t look fast enough on tape’ or ‘The school is too small.’ But Charlie Brown was the guy,” says Skaggs. “He kept encouraging me and took my tape and watched it. Usually coaches won’t pick up an unsolicited tape that just comes in the mail. But he watched it, liked it and passed it on to the receiver coach then, Richard Mann.”

Skaggs, who says he’s run a 4.36 time in the 40, was invited to camp. Most undrafted free agents keep to themselves given such an invitation. Not Skaggs. He made such an impression at the first mini-camp that his feats made highlight reels on local TV news sports segments. During that minicamp he made fingertip catches and seemed to be all over the place. He even won most of the wind sprints, a drill that normally takes place at the end of practices when players are drained.

By the time camp rolled around in July, Skaggs guaranteed that he would make the team. He did, securing a spot on the practice squad for the first 14 weeks before being elevated to the active roster for the last two games of the season.

“I’ve got dreams I want to fulfill and I set the standards high,” says Skaggs. “Last year my goal was to make the team. This year it’s not only to make the team but to earn a job and to help this team win a championship.”

Every word that comes out of the mouth of the young man from St. Charles County, Missouri, teems with enthusiasm. He exudes confidence, not false bravado.

In truth, Skaggs didn’t even have an interest in football until high school, when he was thrust upon it.

“I liked soccer for the longest time, all the way up to my sophomore year in high school and never even thought about playing football,” recalls Skaggs. “Soccer was my thing."

Skaggs explains that he changed high schools and that the new school didn't have a soccer team. He puts it this way: "So I did the next best thing and played football. I found I really enjoyed it, I was pretty good at it and it took me through college.”

Skaggs is only the third Evangel player to make the NFL. Derrick Clark, an Evangel running back, played one season with the Denver Broncos in 1994. And Tony Dollinger, another back, played one season with the Detroit Lions in 1987. This year, another Evangel receiver, Dimitrius Breedlove, is a rookie with the Cleveland Browns.

For now, Skaggs is concentrating on a new coach, playing special teams and possibly returning kicks.

“This year, with coach [steve] Spurrier and his new staff, it's a whole different kind of coaching and offense. It’s going to be exciting,” he said.

In workouts at Redskin Park over the past few months, Justin Skaggs is doing everything he can to become a part of it.

there are spots open as a kick and punt returner on this team and if Skaggs is serious about a roster spot I hope his versatility lends itself to special teams because that's where he is going to separate himself from Thompson and McCants, who don't seem suited to that role.

Someone with that kind of attitude you just have to root for. You got to think in an even battle, he beats out Derrius. And if the reports on Anthony are right, him too.

If (when) he makes it, I don't think you will see him turning into a Westbrook, Albert Connell or Randy Moss.

Now you see why some of us rooted for the kid.

It would be great to have Skaggs and D Mac wow the coaches and fans in the preseason and win the final spots on the team.

That would give us two young big speedy guys that are cheap and at worst resignable as EFA and RFA so a great Cap savings for both

aw come on, guys....did you see where we just root for Skaggs cuz he's a white WR? it has nothing to do with his work ethic and his heart or the fact that he played college ball at some place called Evangel. it's cuz he's WHITE! some guy in the another thread said so.

I was news to me, too, as I've been pulling for him since camp last year when the first article came out about him in the local paper.

:shootinth

Archived