Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newport News

Doozinbrah

Originally posted by Doozinbrah

My wife and I will be moving there in Sept. or Oct. Anyone have any suggestions on good areas to move, schools, and or a different area (i.e. Williamsburg or Hampton). Thanks in advance:)

I lived there about 20 years ago. There are a lot of areas you want to avoid living, like near the shipyard, but I really have no idea how the different areas are there now. I know it has changed a lot. My parents own a house up by the Air Force Base in a pretty good neighborhood. You'll probably be best off looking around first.

It will depend where you work and if you don't mind driving far. Until about a year ago I lived in Chesapeake but I only had to drive to Norfolk everyday. Cheasapeake is nice but too far for you probably.

It's been almost 20 years since I lived in the Hampton Roads area but just like most places in this country, everywhere has it's good and bad areas.

My suggestions would be to contact a local Real Estate agent and talk to them about what you want and they can help you. They know what are the good areas and what are the good schools.

I've lived in Hampton for 20 years and I think Hampton is a nice place to live, Newport News ain't bad but stay away form downtown Newport News aka (Bad Newz).

As far as High schools, PHOEBUS is the Best- Rock the BLUE & GOLD (just joking)

My wife and I will be moving there in Sept. or Oct. Anyone have any suggestions on good areas to move, schools, and or a different area (i.e. Williamsburg or Hampton). Thanks in advance:)

I would ask you first, what are you looking for in the area? Price range, neighborhood, schools ect...

I've worked in Newport News' school system and currently work in Hampton's so I know both areas well.

In general, I prefer Hampton, it's not as congested and doesn't have as many really bad areas. (both, as anywhere, have their spots.)

If you are rolling in money, you should check out York County and Poquoson.

Give me a little more info and I'll be glad to help you. A family friend is a very highly regarded real estate agent as well, she has helped us with both of our home purchases. I can give you some contact info as well if you like.

That would be great Im looking at renting probably 3 bedroom under 1500 a month. I have been told to go to Poquoson because it is nice and not that expensive. Schools are important but we are looking more towards a private school in Norfolk that my child attends now.But, I really am just looking for a safe(low crime area) at a decent price.

That would be great Im looking at renting probably 3 bedroom under 1500 a month. I have been told to go to Poquoson because it is nice and not that expensive. Schools are important but we are looking more towards a private school in Norfolk that my child attends now.But, I really am just looking for a safe(low crime area) at a decent price.

I was born and raised in Poquoson, which now live just

across the border in York County (Tabb Section).

Poquoson and Tabb section of York County are extremely

safe. The Sheriff of York/Poquoson is a guy that I grew

up with and we graduated together.

PM me and can help you in many ways. If you need the

name of a good real estate agent, I know several.

York County may be a little cheaper than Poquoson.

Like Code, have been raised in the area all my life. Between

the two of us...you might want to talk to someone else! :laugh:

Are you opening an art gallery over here?

Definately talk to riggins44 about York co and Poquoson, he's a great guy.

As for Hampton, there's alot of places that are safe and good areas with good schools, but there are also some rough spots.

PM me if you want any specifics.

Good luck. :cheers:

Originally posted by riggins44

Doozinbrah, between Code and myself...you're in great hands.

If we get you in any trouble with your wife, we will disavow

any association with you and this thread will self destruct.....;)

I concur...:laugh:

Cool thanks for all the info......I wont be moving till the Fall( Sept-Nov.) But, once we get more serious about it I will definately pm you guys. As for not knowing about NN or Hamton Ive never had any reason to go there except for maybe the occasional concert. But, I am pretty excited about moving there.

• 1 month later...

Update, we found a place in Hampton. Its called Lake Ridge Apartments. Its fairly new and really nice. We wont be moving until Sept. so I wont be out that way tilll then. We will all have to hang out sometime and catch a game together.

Update, we found a place in Hampton. Its called Lake Ridge Apartments. Its fairly new and really nice. We wont be moving until Sept. so I wont be out that way tilll then. We will all have to hang out sometime and catch a game together.

We'll have to work something out.

Archived