Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who can cover our 4 wide set all you WR corps haters???

Moss - Mccants or Hot rod - Jacobs - Patten shotgun 4 wide. There has to be 2 mismatches at all times in this set. In case you all have forgotten about taylor jacobs he has tremendous upside and is about the quality reciever we would have recieved at pick 25 if thats the route we wouldve gone. We are very deep and solid at WR. This isnt madden 05 where you throw it 50 yds. down the field and let R. moss run under it (which is probably all the experience 99.9% of user on this board have) THIS IS THE NFL. TEAMS win superbowls not Mike Williams, B. Edwards, M. Williams, L. Coles, TO or Randy Moss.

:point2sky

I can't comment on this formation and the success of it until we actually run it.

"On Paper" it sounds good....but "On Paper" has been used here too much the last few years.

It also depends on how the O-line pass blocks, how Ramsey plays and how the play is run/written up (ie route running) and whether Portis/Betts is used as a blocker or sneaks out for a screen or underneath pass.

Remember, this (except a non-shotgun formation) was Spurrier's idea to use multiple WR sets and it failed (for multiple reasons).

But, by using a 3-4 WR set it can spread the field for Portis/Betts as long as the WRs can make their blocks and give players who haven't got a shot yet (McCants and Jacobs) their shot.

Originally posted by 3rd Generation Die Hard

Moss - Mccants or Hot rod - Jacobs - Patten shotgun 4 wide. There has to be 2 mismatches at all times in this set. In case you all have forgotten about taylor jacobs he has tremendous upside and is about the quality reciever we would have recieved at pick 25 if thats the route we wouldve gone. We are very deep and solid at WR. This isnt madden 05 where you throw it 50 yds. down the field and let R. moss run under it (which is probably all the experience 99.9% of user on this board have) THIS IS THE NFL. TEAMS win superbowls not Mike Williams, B. Edwards, M. Williams, L. Coles, TO or Randy Moss.

Ummm..the better question is who can provide pass protection long enough when sending four guys out?

C'mon...every team has an advantage running a 4 WR set if they get the time....

Minnesota, Detroit, New England...could all run out better 4 WR sets than ours...having depthis nice, but you're not going to see the 4WR set make a huge difference for us.

Just a question....

What 4 WR shotgun set?

That set doesn't exist in Joe Gibbs offense.

And to answer your question....virtually every team in football.

Our QB won't have any time to throw, and we don't have the physically overpowering recievers who can get open quickly on their own in man coverage....

I agree with you 3rd gen DH to an extent.

Very fast corps this year and with some schemes involving FB blocking in addition to O-line upgrades, and maybe even shotgun to gain some time, could actually happen.

Those that call out that "they suck"

back it up with some facts please, I'll always listen to facts and never to pure conjecture based on ignorance.

You're up!

Originally posted by fdarugar

I saw a 4 wide set maybe a hand full of times last year, if that.

They were all at the end of the year and Gibbs is adjusting and he will continue to adjust. The new QB coach (from JAX) is already practicing the shotgun. It will be implemented.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Were not a 4 receiver shot gun team. Were a jumbo package rough running team. That's why we drafted the big full backs we will power run this year with Jansen back.

I think you'll see the hybrid combination of both. The new contact rules will open up long threats with enough speed.

I think the trick will be to gameplan the right way to capitalize.

I agree though with some of the negative clan here that that is also an option with many teams and not just ours.

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

I agree with you 3rd gen DH to an extent.

Very fast corps this year and with some schemes involving FB blocking in addition to O-line upgrades, and maybe even shotgun to gain some time, could actually happen.

Those that call out that "they suck"

back it up with some facts please, I'll always listen to facts and never to pure conjecture based on ignorance.

You're up!

What facts did you bring up in support?

The fact that our WR's are fast? :rolleyes:

To begin with D-Mac isn't fast as a WR's go anyway, and as we've seen Ramsey isn't the best at seeing the whole field..which is the primary advantage of the 4 set...4 options.

Also, a liability for us in the 4 set would be Ramsey's or Brunell realtive lack of mobility, with only a handful in to block not having a QB all that great at sidstepping the rush could leave us very exposed.

We need A qb that can master the 2 & 3 WR sets before we go running 4 guys out there in any given direction.

These 4 Wr's aren't even that particulary menancing as a 4 when you consider the speed or talent of what a team like Detroit or Oakland could run...and those teams don't even use them that much.

i hope this team is like the Ravens SB team. A top D, let Portis run or catch passes for about 90% of our offensive players, watch him approach 2000 yards, and have enough of a passing threat to keep D's honest. I'd be happy with that!!!

good post skn-n-vegas, thanks for sharing my openeess to new formations to make this thing work. The 4wr set was a small idea to be thrown out as a wrinkle when teams are ready with 8 in the box again

Thanks!!

We really could be in for witnessing an entire new scheme that isnt in place with any other team this season.

I share your disdane for those that pigeon hole our O into what was always done before.

I have really no facts to make that claim beyond the off season moves and the brilliant offensive minds (some who were responsible for the Coryel based systems on many teams today) on our team's coaching staff.

Many of the coaching minds already are credited in the past for huge amounts of adaptation and new found methods of offensive success. I didnt expect them to be able to come in with a team roster that was built by someone else and make those adaptations right away, it wouyldnt have been a realistic expectation. After a year of study, planning, additions of their own, why shouldnt we give this group the benefit of the doubt and assume major adaptations are coming?

Have the Lil Skin tonight by myself and I'm feeding her as we watch Sesame Street...so not a lot of time to do in depth receiving/YAC/Drops...etc stats.

However.....I believe that our WR corps is one of the most glaring problems this year. It is what I believe. I hope I'm proven wrong. We had no chemistry last year w/ people that had been on the team playing together for some time. Frankly, I think the WR corps was better last year. A couple speedsters is great....but all speedsters, a headcase and a never was does not a WR group make.

If we send Rod down the road....like I think we will....we take the top 2 receivers from last year - replace them w/ lesser WR and don't add. If someone has time to put stats together on our group now vs our group then.....catches/YPC/YAC...etc - I'd love to see it......and be proven wrong.

Nothing would make me happier than having Moss show up.....oops - I mean have a 1,000 yard season along w/ Patten and Jacobs......WR by committee - it can be done - just don't think so w/ these guys.......

Time shall tell.

I love people with 17 posts informing us of the experience we have on this board. :rolleyes:

Our receiver corps is not really more formidable than most around the league. Some would say that because we lack a true #1 we're going to draw double-teams less often which will leave more defenders open to cover the rest. Going 4-wide we're not much (if at all) better than any other team, we're just more familiar with our players and they potential they have. Potential is great, but production wins games.

Don't misunderstand me though. I agree with your thinking, I just don't think we have a dominant receiving group that will produce "2 mismatches at all times". There's evidence we'll be running an offense this year with significant changes from last year, and it should involve spreading the field a little more. Not only will we hopefully draw a few mismatches but it should provide Portis with room to run and opportunities to catch passes out of the backfield or even split out to slot as he was in Denver.

I think we may see the shotgun or 4 WR's occasionally, but they won't be a featured part of our offense. Even with Bill Musgrave on board, Joe Gibbs isn't going to discount 20 years of his coaching history and call plays he otherwise wouldn't call.

That being said, I think our WR corps will be OK. We have very good depth, which mitigates our lack of a true #1. With 3 WR's in the game (lets say Moss/Patten/Jacobs), one of those 3 should be able to get open agaist a nickel corner. And Cooley/Portis out of the backfield aren't to be scoffed at either.

This isn't Playstation a passing attack like that more bad will happen then good. It's not our style Musgave came in and what do we do? Move up to draft a qb that means we didn't have someone smart enough to make the right decisions with the ball. So 4 receiver set is out of the question unless were behind by 20 with 5 minutes to go.

Archived