Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN NFL Insider: Rumor Central 4/18

jjcskins

I don't think Buchanon helps our cause (on the build a team approach) any and anyway Turner prolly doesn't want anyone from the redskins (Gardner)... He prolly still in F' -Snyder mode too!

I think the best way to build this team back to where it should be is to trade down, take a lesser known, more affordable CB and use the extra pick on DE depth to develop. And yes I think as long as Moss gets a contract he'll be OK for now, we can try to address WR next year.

I really don't think that we're going to further our newer team minded approach by signing Rolle, Williams, Merriman or anyone esle with a name right now. I could be wrong and Jones could really be great but if we could get value in a trade down for #9 I would take it in a heartbeat.

In light of recent events, I have decided that my opinion from this point forward is to trade down because we need more Cooley's and less Lavar's, Taylor's, etc..

If we get stuck with #9 and have to pick, I would rock the board and take Rogers or Maybe Clayton. Then tell him and his agent that he was not a top ten pick, we MADE him a top ten pick because we couldn't trade down..

Originally posted by Oldskool

Id give them Gardner and a 3rd round player and maybe a pick next year for Buchannon. That way we arent forced to take Rolle/Jones/Rogers.

Gardner, another player and a pick? Sheesh...I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you as well...

I think trading for a corner would not be a good move, seeing how deep the CB talent pool is in this years draft. Plus, as stated by someone else, we don't need another player from the U!!

i would be thrilled if this happened. first we get an experienced vet with good talent for which can flourish in g williams schemes, then we wouldnt be forced to draft a corner and could go offense and take troy williamson. he is going to be a big time playmaker and this way we will fill 2 positions with quality players

Ok first, we were OFFERED by the Raiders a deal for Buchanon. Cerrato said no, meaning the offer was crap.

If a trade were to happen, people really need to stop thinking we will trade Gardner to them, because no way in hell does Oak need another WR. They want a D player. They need help on D and thats what they will want. We dont have much on D except at the Saftey position. Maybe Lott and our 3rd, Clark and our 3rd, or possibly Bowen and our 3rd. Then we trade Gardner for a 3rd. That way it balances out.

This allows us to trade down to maybe the 12-15 range and get Troy Williamson. Also with a trade down we get maybe another 3rd or a 2nd.

So what is the (+) (-) of all this?

We gain:

12-15th pick (Troy Williamson?)

Buchanon

2nd/3rd rounder (from trade down)

3rd from Gardner

We lose:

9th pick

and Gardner

Not to shabby in my opinion

I can't believe you guys want this guy. Just what we need, another first rounder from the U. I'm sure Gibbs wants another guy that won't come to workouts and wants a bigger contract. Here's what he said about wanting a trade:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955338

Updated: Dec. 29, 2004, 7:23 PM ET

Former first rounder fed upAssociated Press

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Cornerback Phillip Buchanon is so frustrated with the way the Oakland Raiders are operating that he wants to be traded.

Buchanon, the Raiders' first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Miami, said he spoke with team personnel chief Michael Lombardi to express his desire to go elsewhere.

"The way I am feeling about the Raiders, I am not happy," Buchanon said Wednesday. "I am just not happy with the organization right now. I am looking forward to a possible trade with somebody else."

Both Lombardi and Buchanon's agent, Terry Williams, declined to comment after learning of Buchanon's statement, made four days before Oakland (5-10) ends another disappointing season at home Sunday against Jacksonville.

If Buchanon leaves, there's a possibility the Raiders will lose both starting cornerbacks this offseason.

Four-time Pro Bowler Charles Woodson, making nearly $9 million this season as Oakland's franchise player, could earn as much as $10.5 million next season if the Raiders kept the franchise tag on him -- an expensive move that seems unlikely, especially after his arrest last week for public intoxication.

Woodson has said for months he wants to be the highest paid cornerback in the league, a distinction currently held by Champ Bailey of Denver. Bailey signed a seven-year, $63 million contract with the Broncos last offseason that includes an $18 million signing bonus and $5 million in other bonuses.

Buchanon has 59 tackles -- 50 solo -- three interceptions, nine pass deflections and a fumble recovery this season, but has been consistently poor returning punts. Coach Norv Turner has stuck by him despite the struggles.

Buchanon refers to himself as "Showtime," and arrived at training camp in 2003 as a second-year pro in a limousine and wearing a fancy pajama suit.

"I mean there is a lot of stuff that goes on here and it ain't right," he said. "I am not feeling too good here. I am not happy with the organization. Things ain't good right now. I know that."

Archived