Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Dream Theater Cover Artwork

grimreaper36

heh, I like that cover, more simple. I also didnt think someone would post something bout Dream Theater before me, I guess im not the only big fan round here.

ntotoro, I think the album may be heavy proggish again, may even be more metal sounding. I liked Awake as their heavy album, I didnt like Train of Thought as much though. Looking at their concert tour lineup for the summer, seems like it may be more heavy again, or a random mix.

To answer your questions.....

Asked how "Octavarium" differs from its predecessor, DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci recently told Billboard.com, "The album before this we wrote in the rehearsal period, constructed all the songs and then went into the studio and recorded them. The style from song to song was pretty consistent; that album was pretty dark and heavy and very riffy, sort of metal [or] progressive metal-sounding. This one we wrote in the studio, and I think that stylistically from song to song it's more diverse."

"Octavarium" track listing:

01. The Root of All Evil

02. The Answer Lies Within

03. These Walls

04. I Walk Beside You

05. Panic Attack

06. Never Enough

07. Sacrificed Sons

08. Octavarium

Link

I know Dream Theater is popular with older people, as is Megadeth, but I really hope that the venues for their upcoming tour have floors, I dont really think Dream Theater is something to mosh to, but, i still like a floor atmosphere more for metal shows.

btw, who thinks that Petrucci should grow his hair back?

I just want to see them headline. I've seen them twice as support acts, once opening for Deep Purple and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer..., and once opening for Yes. They were great both times but as headliners they play for 3 hours. If you haven't seen it check out their Live at Buudokan dvd.

Crappy photoshop work for an album cover. You can see where they used the same ball three times (both ends of the three on the left, and the one with the logo) and just flipped it once or twice (depending on which is the original). It wouldn't bother me so much if it were not so damned noticable. Worse, it would only take a minute to touch it up so they all looked unique. I could never let something like that slide. :doh:

Originally posted by Mr. S

ntotoro, I think the album may be heavy proggish again, may even be more metal sounding. I liked Awake as their heavy album, I didnt like Train of Thought as much though. Looking at their concert tour lineup for the summer, seems like it may be more heavy again, or a random mix.

I always love Awake, but A Change of Seasons is really up there for me. While Train of Thought isn't one of my favorites, I don't think it's as bad as some of the repetitious fan-boys who love to pile it on in the message boards make it out to be. It's heavy progressive rock, plain and simple. A lot of people are happy with just them wanking song after song. I don't mind that live, because James is pretty pitchy, but I want to hear more tunes on the albums... ;)

The one album I just did not like was M2:SFAM. They either blatantly ripped off or used elements from so many bands it wasn't funny (Tool, Queen, Queensryche, etcetera). Also, I didn't like the idea of a nine-minute instrumental on what's supposed to be a concept album because it really didn't play out the story at all. The lyrics were poor enough as it was, so a nine-minute instrumental didn't exactly help things for me.

GR36... anyone ever say that one pic with the profile kinda' looks like Derek Sherinian? :laugh:

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

GR36... anyone ever say that one pic with the profile kinda' looks like Derek Sherinian? :laugh:

Nick

wow, that guy looks pretty similar. However, im surprised you didnt like M2: SFAM, thats generally acclaimed as one of their best albums, and their largest fan support booster since I&W. I used to think its my favorite album, but I sorta like I&W and Awake more, and the song A Change of Seasons is awesome as well. Metropolis Pt. 2, I think it was done well, the lyrics did sorta sound lame, but thats cause of what the story was, a relatively redundant story. Bands always take riffs from other bands though as it is, I dont think thats uncommon, unless they do it too much.

For annoying instrumentals, I think Train of Thought was a bit weak there. I like As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, and Stream of Consciousness, but the solos throughout the whole album sounded a bit unnecessary, llong, and tasteless. Oh well, I hope this albums rocks!!!

Saw them open for Yes at Nissan Pavilion last fall. They held their own and then some.

Became a fan through their work with Tony Levin in the two Liquid Tension Experiment albums. Loved the technical wizardry and musicianship ... and the fact that nobody felt the need to sing over it. :)

Hope they revisit that combination at some point. I'd buy it without hesitation on spec.

Originally posted by Mr. S

For annoying instrumentals, I think Train of Thought was a bit weak there. I like As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, and Stream of Consciousness, but the solos throughout the whole album sounded a bit unnecessary, llong, and tasteless. Oh well, I hope this albums rocks!!!

So do I. Forgot about the instrumentals on Train of Thought. Must have been a subconscious thing because they were either full of movie samples or ripping off Orion too much... ;)

Guess that's why I like LTE so much more. No vocals, just unashamed ripping for the sake of ripping. I didn't like M2 that much just because it sounded too derivitate (sp?) of way too much stuff to me. I mean... I can technically appreciate it and the work that went into it, but it just doesn't sit as one of my favorites. I will say that it's my favorite album as JP's guitar sound goes. I don't like his Road King tone and hope he goes back to the MarkII's on the next album.

Nick

For those who like the instrumental side....

John Petrucci is proud to announce the release of his first solo CD, Suspended Animation, on the Sound Mind Music label. John is considered to be the foremost up-and-coming solo instrumental guitarist and composer on the contemporary music scene, as well as the founder of the rock band Dream Theater.

(PRWEB) April 18, 2005 -- John Petrucci is proud to announce the release of his first solo CD, Suspended Animation, on the Sound Mind Music label. John is considered to be the foremost up-and-coming solo instrumental guitarist and composer on the contemporary music scene, as well as the founder of the rock band Dream Theater. John will be performing tracks from Suspended Animation on the forthcoming May 2005 G3 Tour of Japan with legendary guitarists Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

Suspended Animation features eight instrumental tracks written and produced by John, recorded by long-time Dream Theater engineer Doug Oberkircher, and mixed by Kevin Shirley, whose studio credits include Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Iron Maiden, and Bon Jovi. John has co-produced many Dream Theater albums and his highly evolved production skills are evident on Suspended Animation. John’s debut effort takes the listener on a journey through musical soundscapes with his signature shredding combined with melodic compositions that are sure to delight his Dream Theater fans, as well as new listeners. As one reviewer stated in describing Suspended Animation; “Adjectives escape me.”

Suspended Animation spotlights the brilliance of Dreg’s bassist Dave LaRue and drummer Dave DiCenso who lay down an incredibly thick rhythm foundation for John’s guitar acrobatics. The track Tunnel Vision features a special appearance by drummer/remixer Tony Verderosa, who added a distinctive progressive/electronica vibe to the tune. After a few listens, one is hard pressed to recall other such brilliantly composed, performed, and produced power trio studio efforts.

John’s mix of insanely intricate guitar riffs, brilliant songwriting and instinctive sense of melody has earned him praise and respect in the international guitar community. John’s influences fuse the speed and dexterity of Steve Vai and Steve Morse with the melodic phrasing of Joe Satriani and the esoteric flair of Alex Lifeson to create his own unique, identifiable signature guitar style.

With legions of rabid fans that consider him the new guitar icon for the 21st century, John’s compositions and playing on Suspended Animation represents a razor edged rediscovery of the limitless boundaries of the electric guitar. Additionally, Suspended Animation is sure to have aficionados of brilliant guitar playing hitting the back button on their CD player, time-and-time again, wondering, “cripes, how on Earth did John do that?”

To order Suspended Animation or to find out when John will be coming to your town with G3 or Dream Theater, please visit: http://www.johnpetrucci.com

Tracks:

1 Jaws of Life

2 Glasgow Kiss

3 Tunnel Vision

4 Wishful Thinking

5 Damage Control

6 Curve

7 Lost Without You

8 Animate-Inanimate

Link

Archived