Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sprowles in the 3rd round????

skins84

does anybody else think Darren Sprowles would be a good pick in the 3rd round if he's slides that far down and is still available?

i like him as a 3rd down back, portis has very suspect hands, and betts is not a 3rd down back.....

We have more pressing needs. But the guy can play football. Who ever gets him has a chance at drafting a special player. The only thing that stops this guy from being a first round pick is his size. And with that said we already have a 5'7 RB, and he's the Rock. I hope Joe uses him this year.

That guy is going to be good. How many guys become excellent football players despite being a bit undersized.

Let's see, Zack Thomas, Coakley, Joe Morris, Sam Mills. D. Green. W. Dunn.

I really like Sproiles. And think he's going to be a special player

However, I just don't think we will go there come the thrid.

everybody keeps talkin about other "pressing needs" but nobody is mentioning the needs or what other possible player could possibly be taken, i know depth at lb is needed but that could be filled in 4th and 5th rounds....

sproles is much more than just a kick returner and is going to be a special player in this league im looking for playmakers too help this offense who we all know lacked big plays last year, that's what i see as a "pressing" need....

You're reaching Skin284. This guy is good, but time will tell how good he'll be at the next level. I know he had a break out season and ran for 2000 yards one year in college. But to me he presents us with the same problems CP does. He is not a durable back that can grind out the clock, and keep our D off the field. That is a pressing need. We need a durable work horse at back to spell CP, not his clone. Big plays are great, but consistently getting first downs wins ball games. If we traded CP I would take him.

i like him as a 3rd down back, portis has very suspect hands, and betts is not a 3rd down back.....

Portis has suspect hands? He caught 70% of the passes thrown his direction. To compare Cooley only caught 59%. Does Cooley have suspect hands?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

Scroll down the page to receiving stats. (They have Cooley listed with the Running backs)

Originally posted by VaSkinsNut

Portis has suspect hands? He caught 70% of the passes thrown his direction. To compare Cooley only caught 59%. Does Cooley have suspect hands?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

Scroll down the page to receiving stats. (They have Cooley listed with the Running backs)

i dont need to look at any of those pointless stats to know that portis has suspect hands

so by telling me that stat, are u trying to imply that portis has better hands that cooley????????????

then obviously that was pointless, cooley led all tight ends in receptions his senior year

obviously running back routes are much easier to catch, running routes out in the flat, dump off passes, screen passes, would obviously have a high completion percentage.........

Originally posted by skins84

obviously running back routes are much easier to catch, running routes out in the flat, dump off passes, screen passes, would obviously have a high completion percentage.........

This comment is correct. Comparing Cooley's catch percentage to Portis' is a fruitless endeavor, because the situations are almost always different.

However, you are incorrect otherwise. Portis has fine hands, you can spare us the dramatics.

Originally posted by TheDane

This comment is correct. Comparing Cooley's catch percentage to Portis' is a fruitless endeavor, because the situations are almost always different.

However, you are incorrect otherwise. Portis has fine hands, you can spare us the dramatics. [/quote

im just trying to make my point here but IF Portis has fine hands then why doesn't he use them to catch the ball, i can remember plenty of times when he has caught the ball with his chest and plenty of other times when he would let the ball get to his body and bounce right off....

Originally posted by boobiemiles

Clinton hands are fine. You would be singing a different tune if that phnatom call in Green Bay went the other way. Clinton had the game winning or tieing catch if I could recall. Down with Green Bay.

im not tryin to bash clinton he has avg. hands

but since u wanna bring that up, he caught that pass with his body, which is the problem when they bounce off of his chest

im not tryin to bash clinton he has avg. hands

but since u wanna bring that up, he caught that pass with his body, which is the problem when they bounce off of his chest

If he has avg hands, that's why he's a back and not a WR. Not everybody is a faulk.

im just trying to make my point here but IF Portis has fine hands then why doesn't he use them to catch the ball, i can remember plenty of times when he has caught the ball with his chest and plenty of other times when he would let the ball get to his body and bounce right off....

I'm not saying Portis has the best hands in the league, but they are fine, particularly for our every-down back. 40 catches last year isn't too shabby, and ranks pretty well for Gibbs-coached pass catching backs such as Joe Washington, Kelvin Bryant, and Earnest Byner. You seeing a few drops doesn't mean he has bad hands. And hell, I've seen highlight reels of Mike Williams that show him making all his catches with his body. Does he have bad hands?

Again, I'm not disputing the fact that Sproles has good hands, but, we don't need him. Particularly not in the 3rd round.

Not to many RB can catch the ball with their hands. They aren't trained like that. There are only so many Marshall Faulk in the world. Either way, nice hands isn't enough to convince me Spowles is a bigger need than CB, LB, WR. We need to stock up. It's predeicted we're taking Terrence Murphy or Chris Henry in the 3rd. They will give you all the game breaking and hands you want, and sure up a position that is a pressing need.

everyone's points are well taken and all i was trying too say is that i believe sprowles is gonna be a impact player in the league and i believe he would be a good addition to the team as a third down back and return man

a 3rd. round pick is usually a starter or someone recieving considerable playing time, and at LB that would be a backup and at wr and de there isn't going to be anyone left in the 3rd round that is going to come in and start so therefore i figure that sprowles would be the best player possibly still available with the most upside that could be drafted and succeed at a position where he is comfortable....

Archived