Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok, from the Times....

Art

I'm not one who finds anything they write in the Times all that compelling and mostly I find it angry, envious ignorance. But, Daly has a point in his lead.

"If, indeed, Marty Schottenheimer coached his last game with the Redskins yesterday, give the man his due. He remained Marty to the bitter end. Forever Marty. Eternally Marty. He was still calling running plays on third-and-8 in the red zone and throwing five-yard passes on third-and-6 and punting on fourth-and-less-than-1 near midfield (after crossing everybody up by going deep on the previous play).

Even in a game that meant nothing — except as far as next year's schedule is concerned — Schottenheimer was unable to loosen up, unable to break out of his Marty mold. He stuck with what, for him, has been the tried and true; only this season — as in 1998, his last year on the sideline — it left him short of the playoffs."

Marty IS what we see offensively. It's not necessarily Raye, though, I believe you could be a power running team with more imagination, like Pittsburgh, even with a limited quarterback, like Pittsburgh, if you had a coordinator who coordinated it better, like Pittsburgh.

Still, Marty NEVER broke the mold of what he does and believes in. Win or loss. Ahead or behind. We are the same team we are likely going to be. And it has nothing, really, to do with Banks. Marty doesn't believe in a QB. He's said so. He's said he can win with a lot of QBs. He was never down on Banks or feeling that Banks was limiting to the offense. Banks was running his offense.

THAT has to change. I don't care that Banks blows and even within this offense more could have been witnessed, but, we NEED to make a change offensively to succeed. I'm hopeful you people see it.

Actually Orange, against Seattle we did almost nothing deep all day. That was the game we hit like nine different receivers. The longest pass of that day was 18 yards or so to Gardner down the left hash on a nice reaching hands catch by the rookie. Against the Giants, we did hit the big deep one to Westbrook.

Against the Giants we did have a few more intermediate passes. A couple of big plays to Lockett for 20 yards or so and a pass to one of the tight ends for 15 or so.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Archived