Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Player Profile : Wil Beck

Mickalino

Browsing thru our undrafted free agents I found an interesting prospect in Wil Beck, DT from Idaho. As far as size, he weighs in at 329, and only Big Daddy tips the scales higher. Here is 2 different Scouting Reports on him. The first seems kind of contradictory tho - on one hand it says his 'play recognition' is weak, but then says he's usually in the right position to make a tackle.

Wil Beck

DT

6'2 329 lbs.

Idaho

Strength:

Footwork

Balance

Weakness:

Play recognition

Technique

Assessment:

Beck is a project for a few reasons. He is a small school product so there will be questions about the level of talent he had to face. His play recognition is very weak and he can be neutralized by going low, doesn't show the leg drive to fight through blocks or get around double teams. Wil Beck has decent strength and carries his weight well. He has great balance and is normally in the right position to make a tackle. Strongest asset is his footwork which is what he should showcase to make sure he gets drafted. Moves laterally almost as well as the top prospects in the spot

This one is older - it was done when he was a Sophomore :

#91 Wil Beck

Defensive tackle * 6-2 * 305 * Sophmore * 2L

Central Washington * Veradale, Wash.

Wil Beck

1998 · Honorable mention all-Big West

1999 · Second team all-Big West

When you think big, strong, menacing defensive lineman, think Wil Beck.

First, there is his size – 6 feet, 2 inches tall and loading the scales at 301 pounds. In Beck’s case, that’s 301 pounds of muscle, grit and determination.

"His power and quickness are as good as a lot of guys I’ve been around at some of the bigger schools," Idaho coach Tom Cable said after spending one spring watching Beck. "He has great intensity, great power, great quickness.

"He has the ability to grow into a dominant lineman."

Hence, Beck will continue to be a major contributor to the Vandal defensive effort on the heels of 1999’s 42 tackles, nine tackles-for-loss, 5.5 quarterback sacks, one fumble recovery and two quarterback hurries. Beck found himself in a starting role as a true freshman and adapted quickly to the college game. As a true freshman, he had 32 tackles (15 solo, 17 assists), two tackles for loss, one fumble recovery and 2.5 quarterback sacks.

Beck’s best outing was last fall’s 10-tackle effort against Boise State. In that game, he also had two tackles for losses totaling five yards.

High school: Beck had a stellar career at Central Valley and wound up the Washington 4A Player of the Year. He was a first-team All-State selection as a senior and a second-team choice as a freshman. A three-year starter at Central Valley, Beck was a first-team all-Greater Spokane League selection all three years.

Personal: He is the son of Susan and Will Beck and was born Nov. 10, 1979. He plans to major in Secondary Education and wants to coach.

Career statistics

Year Tackles Assists Total For loss FR Sacks

1998 15 17 32 3 (-17) 1 2.5 (-12)

1999 31 11 42 9(-48) 1 5.5(-38)

Beck_Wil.JPG

A more recent report.

Defensive tackle Wil Beck and linebacker Brad Rice join wide receiver Chris Lacy as NFL free agent signees out of the University of Idaho. Beck goes to the Washington Redskins after a senior year that saw him register only three sacks. Opposing lines were able to routinely double-team Beck because of the weaknesses elsewhere in the Vandal defense.

Okay his stats went down in 2001 due to double-teaming stated above and probably due to this injury :

IDAHO SCOUT DAY March 13,2002

Was happy to see hometown boy Wil Beck, was healthy again. ,recovering from a shoulder injury that left him

at points in the 01 season, seemly fighting with one arm tied behind his back

(Editor note:, I do have a factor built into my database that adjusts scores of my homer, if I'm not objective I not ......) Beck came at 6-1.1 324 (down 20) with 5.15 on the Kibbie Turf, surprising 31 VJ., 28 reps ( 2 arms) , nice work on the cones. The kid's a team oriented competitor

Prior to the draft I thought that this guy would have been drafted on size alone. He looks to be a good fit as a 3-4 NT, but I've love to see him develop and get some PT at the DT spot. I know that its a long shot, but this guy could help out.

Well, he gives a good read.... nice size, it's apparently not flubber like what Mario monds was carrying.

sounds like definate practice squadder. Unless he can beat out Cowsette.

Then again, all he has to do is beat out Cowsette....... that shouldn't take a miracle to do. :D

Archived