Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT - Tonight just wasn't my night.

Brave

Went to the Carolina/Toronto Playoff game. Had a great time before the game ... then things took a turn for the worse.

- Canes lose 1-0. No offensive game (obviously). They just didn't have it tonight.

- After the game in the parking lot we're tossing the football around waiting for the traffic to lighten. Some girl, a Toronto fan no less, heaves the ball long. I go for the catch and run smack into a car. Not just any car. No. A brand new $40,000 Acura SUV. My elbow smashes the front winshield and my knee dents BOTH the driver's side door and fender. The owner's are standing right there.

So I'm standing there (barely) trying to collect my thoughts and the guys trying to get $250 from me before he even finds out if I'm OK (I am). We just about make the deal when his wife takes a closer look and hollars "Wait ... theres BODY DAMAGE! We have to call the police."

*Sigh*

Sometimes you should just stay home with the wife and kids, you know.

Brave, dont worry, things will start to look better. Look at this way :

* after the Carolina 'Canes get eliminated from the NHL playoffs...and

*after you get eliminated from the Carolina Parking Lot Football League with your freak injury.......

....there will still be Carolina's AFL team, the Cobras, who are still rocking in 1st place in the division.

Yeeesh. That is a tough one. Nevermind TCO there. I've had several thousand dollars of damafe done to acouple of trucks of mine in parking lots by other vehicles...and hit and runs at that. With any hope the dent in the door and be pushed out from the inside and the fender taken care of easily. Paint's hopefully not scratched. The windshield though.....ouch. Nothing broken on you apparently. That would have really sucked. Hope it works out for ya. :pint:

Now, about that mis-read in coverage. That SUV was in a zone and you read man. Sit in the zone not run through it. :D

stupid things just jump out of you when you get caught up in a game of catch...lol

I was uptown in my little dinky town throwing the football around and I went long for a pass and damned if I didn't run into a stop sign :gus:

...held onto the ball though. and luckily it was a stop sign that was just on a concrete base so it had some give and toppled to the ground. Luckily stop signs don't cost as much as Acura SUV's..... :laugh:

Brave, my brother, on the assumption you're okay ...

- You simply have to learn to read coverages better. I can almost understand overlooking the free safety, but the SUV? Don't be Westbrooking out there, man. Run the right damn route.

- Did the QB lead you too much? If he did, hit him up for half the damages. And send his bio to Spurrier.

- And then there's the REAL question ... did you make the durn catch? If so, send your bio to Spurrier.

- If it turns out you have to go to the hospital at some point for a systems check, ask if they've seen Wacky Ralph.

- Look at the bright side ... you're going to be one of the first guys picked at the next Extremeskins pick-up game.

:cool:

Originally posted by Brave

- After the game in the parking lot we're tossing the football around waiting for the traffic to lighten. Some girl, a Toronto fan no less, heaves the ball long. I go for the catch and run smack into a car. Not just any car. No. A brand new $40,000 Acura SUV. My elbow smashes the front winshield and my knee dents BOTH the driver's side door and fender. The owner's are standing right there.

IMO anyone who blows 40k on an Acura is a fool. I used to work in a factory building seats for Acuras and Hondas. Let me tell you now, if they build the rest of the vehicle like they design the seats, then those things are JUNK!! Not to mention an Acura is just a gussied up Honda anyway; why not buy the Honda for 10,000 less??

"I would be totally furious if some people screwing around in the parking lot totally effed up my car." - TCO

As would anyone. All I could do was take responsibility and trade info ...which I did. These things happen. Actually, an earlier pass had hit a car and I was making a real effort to keep that from happening again.

"was the girl impressed with the catch?" - tommy-the-greek

Don't know. I never met her. She made herself scarce after a few minutes. My friends were impressed with her, though. She DID have quite an arm. :)

"on the assumption you're okay ..." - Om

Yup. Small nicks on my elbow and a nasty bruise on my knee, but considering it was a damned car I was going up against I think I came out of it OK. The things we'll do to get in your monthly write-up. :) (Kidding)

"... Toronto was lucky to win that game." - Romo sits to pee

Neither team deserved that one ... it was pretty ugly. Joseph played well in turning back 27 shots and getting the shutout, but the Canes had no offense until the 3rd and then they couldn't get what decent shots they had to go in. Place was rocking, though. completely full to the end.

Man, that sucks brave. Quite honestly, if it was my car, I probably would have shoved glass from the windshield into your eyes, however. :laugh:

I only saw the end of that game, looked like the 'Canes had a legit scoring opportunity with under one minute left, just couldn't punch it in.

"And now the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins!!!"

On offense, number "double O", at Wide Receiver, from Canada,

BRAVE "CRASH SKINS!!!!!!

Ok, just ribbin' ya', but seriously glad you're ok, and not with Inmate Running the Asylum :laugh:

Just guessin' you came into some money over the weekend, before this crap went down.

Actually, the insurance thing has occurred to me. I don't know if I have coverage for this type of thing or not so I guess I've got some homework to do. I imagine my best deal will be to just pay the bill.

The only thing that concerns me is if the guy tries to inflate the numbers to get more out of me.

So here's what I found out.

The cheapest the winshield can be replaced is $509.00 plus tax. The dents will cost between $40 and $60 for each ... and he found another in the hood that he hadn't noticed before so that makes three. Looks like somewhere between $600 and $700.

My insurance, neither auto nor home, will consider it (can't say as I blame them.) Even if they would it probably wound't be worthwhile after the deductible so ... I'll pay up and move on. No biggie! :)

My friends offered to help out (God bless 'em) but I have this thing about taking money for something I did. A good, though expensive lesson, I suppose. Next time someone wants to play football in a crowded parking lot I'll grab another beer and take a seat on a bumper.

Think I'll stay home for Game 7 (if they don't take Game 6 tonight that is.)

Archived