Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It All Seems So Calm And Rational...

...when it's happening to a team not called the Redskins.

Q&A session about the Colts from the Indianapolis Star:

Question: How much input do position coaches and coordinators have in the retention of their own players and selection of free agents and draft picks? (Bruce from Noblesville, Ind.)

Answer: Quite a bit. No one knows the capabilities and potential of players at the various positions than the position coaches. And the coordinators and assistant coaches understand what type of player is best suited for what the team is trying to do.

Having said that, once the position coaches provide their evaluation, it’s up to president Bill Polian and coach Tony Dungy to determine how that evaluation works under the salary cap. A young player might be seen as a perfect fit for the system, but too expensive to retain. That’s the case with left guard Rick DeMulling. He’s one of the better offensive linemen and his best years are ahead of him. But the Colts are resigned to the fact they can’t afford to keep him.

No drama, no hatred thrown around, no cries of not doing enough to sign "their guys"...just a calm, rational take on things...a comment basically of "That's how things work in the NFL now"...

Now...the same Q&A, but with a few alterations:

Question: How much input do position coaches and coordinators have in the retention of their own players and selection of free agents and draft picks? (Bruce from Reston, VA.)

Answer: Quite a bit. No one knows the capabilities and potential of players at the various positions than the position coaches. And the coordinators and assistant coaches understand what type of player is best suited for what the team is trying to do.

Having said that, once the position coaches provide their evaluation, it’s up to owner Dan Snyder and coach/team president Joe Gibbs to determine how that evaluation works under the salary cap. A young player might be seen as a perfect fit for the system, but too expensive to retain. That’s the case with cornerback Fred Smoot. He’s one of the better cornerbacks and his best years are ahead of him. But the Redskins are resigned to the fact they can’t afford to keep him.

I don't think we'd see such calmness in the WP....

Another question, same Colts, same writer answering:

Question: We know the Colts have their offense in place. What defensive moves need to be made to get us to the Super Bowl? (Butch from Hudson, N.C.)

Answer: I would anticipate the Colts looking to strengthen their defense at linebacker and in the secondary. Even if Rob Morris is re-signed, the linebacker corps lacks a playmaker. The secondary was very inconsistent in 2004, and lacks a true No. 1 cornerback.

One obvious reason the Colts linebacking squad lacked a "playmaker" was because they didn't resign the playmaking linebacker they did have--Marcus Washington. Pro Bowl linebacker Marcus Washington of the Redskins. But, strangely enough, the writer doesn't use this as an example to rant on how chaotic the FO is, to let go of possibly the best linebacker they had...to point out that one of "their guys", a guy they drafted, went on to have a Pro-Bowl year after leaving the team...a team that obviously needed talent at that position to compete. And mind you, this is the same team that let Marshall Faulk go instead of working with him to give him a new deal and resigning him. And now it appears they'll be doing the same with Edgerrin James. You wanna talk about a team that could rightly be critisized for letting go of "their guys" who go on to perform at amazing levels once leaving the team??...The Skins can't hold a candle to the Colts.

The losing of Pierce, however, is a catastrophe of epic proportions according to pretty much every sportswriter in the Washington press. There's no calmness about it, no "oh, well, that's the way it goes sometimes" tone in their writings...

Yes, I know the Colts have turned their ship around and are winning...I'm guessing by hiring Dungy as their Coach and hitting paydirt with getting Payton Manning. But obviously losing players like Smoot and Pierce isn't exactly unique to Snyder and the Skins...it happens, constantly, every year. It's a shame that so few people seem to be able (or willing) to see the normalcy of what's happening in the Skins offseason this year...that some need the rose-colored glasses of winning in order to see how ordinary it really is speaks volumes.

It all seems so calm and rational...when it's happening to a team not called the Redskins.

You make a good point, offset slightly by the Colts winning ways and small market. If they were in Washington people would be crying bloody murder about them not signing their own guys to take the next step and get into the SB. Or snatching

Faulk did win a SB after leaving the Colts.

Califan

You are swiftly becoming a God of Reason in the FedEx forum.

THat is not to disparage the already magnificent contributions of the other deities of Rationality, just to commend you for ascending into the Pantheon.

And yes, I'm up late.

Doin' homework. Or not so much. :)

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Califan

You are swiftly becoming a God of Reason in the FedEx forum.

THat is not to disparage the already magnificent contributions of the other deities of Rationality, just to commend you for ascending into the Pantheon.

And yes, I'm up late.

Doin' homework. Or not so much. :)

Something we can all use.

uh huh...not a very good example.....the Colts have taken a lot of heat for the spending excess directed Mr Manning's way. They are losing quality players precisely because of that - and the press has taken note.

Why the frustration over the fairness of the press? Who really cares? The Skins only need to do one thing to silence all the critics - win some championships. Until they do - they don't have a leg to stand on and we fans have to muck around whining about tangential issues. Ignore the outsiders...support the team but start demanding performance as well. We have suffered mediocrity and inetness for far too long.

I'm onboard with allowing Joe wide maneuvering room to put his vision into play........but experience has taught me to approach the Skins, for the momoent, with some degree of skepticism. "SHOW ME THE W's"......and all else is forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Califan007

...when it's happening to a team not called the Redskins.

Q&A session about the Colts from the Indianapolis Star:

No drama, no hatred thrown around, no cries of not doing enough to sign "their guys"...just a calm, rational take on things...a comment basically of "That's how things work in the NFL now"...

Now...the same Q&A, but with a few alterations:

I don't think we'd see such calmness in the WP....

Another question, same Colts, same writer answering:

One obvious reason the Colts linebacking squad lacked a "playmaker" was because they didn't resign the playmaking linebacker they did have--Marcus Washington. Pro Bowl linebacker Marcus Washington of the Redskins. But, strangely enough, the writer doesn't use this as an example to rant on how chaotic the FO is, to let go of possibly the best linebacker they had...to point out that one of "their guys", a guy they drafted, went on to have a Pro-Bowl year after leaving the team...a team that obviously needed talent at that position to compete. And mind you, this is the same team that let Marshall Faulk go instead of working with him to give him a new deal and resigning him. And now it appears they'll be doing the same with Edgerrin James. You wanna talk about a team that could rightly be critisized for letting go of "their guys" who go on to perform at amazing levels once leaving the team??...The Skins can't hold a candle to the Colts.

The losing of Pierce, however, is a catastrophe of epic proportions according to pretty much every sportswriter in the Washington press. There's no calmness about it, no "oh, well, that's the way it goes sometimes" tone in their writings...

Yes, I know the Colts have turned their ship around and are winning...I'm guessing by hiring Dungy as their Coach and hitting paydirt with getting Payton Manning. But obviously losing players like Smoot and Pierce isn't exactly unique to Snyder and the Skins...it happens, constantly, every year. It's a shame that so few people seem to be able (or willing) to see the normalcy of what's happening in the Skins offseason this year...that some need the rose-colored glasses of winning in order to see how ordinary it really is speaks volumes.

It all seems so calm and rational...when it's happening to a team not called the Redskins.

marcus washington was not needed on the colts. he was overpaid. also, he does not fit into teh cover 2.

Quick question..or 2. Before condeming Washington as a non fit for a cover 2, can we first have a little more elaboration as to why? And as for Harris, he "was" arguably the best cover CB on the team, ( before "ailments"), and keep in mind if a CB can't "fit" or play in a cover 2, then he's bagging groceries or selling cars.

The real difference is that the Redskins are the #1 team in Washington - by the way a city full of people who generally believe they know more about just about anything than the people who actually get paid to do that thing.

In Indiana basketball is king, HS, college, pro. I'd venture to say that in parts of Indiana people get as ripped up about guard rotation on the HS basketball team as we do about Coles and Gardner. Also, midwesterners may well be generally less uptight than the people of Washington (who in my experience have shown themselves to be the most uptight people on the face of the earth).

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Quick question..or 2. Before condeming Washington as a non fit for a cover 2, can we first have a little more elaboration as to why? And as for Harris, he "was" arguably the best cover CB on the team, ( before "ailments"), and keep in mind if a CB can't "fit" or play in a cover 2, then he's bagging groceries or selling cars.

marcus washington was not a fit because he couldn't read plays well and was not that good in coverage. harris is horrible. he was not a zone cb. he wanted more money than he was worth.

It's not the Redskins without the drama.....and remember Nunyo and the Post and everybody else writing for the Skins is trying to sell their story.

Despite the Wizards winning.....the Caps on strike....A new DC baseball team....the O's getting Sosa and the United still champs...the top story is "Smoot and Pierce leaving" or "Coles unhappy, wants trade".

Bad news or critism is what sell papers--- sorry , but look at the news (or their commercials). the top story is never good news (always somebody died, something went wrong etc.). The post is just sensationalizing the areas favorite sports team, just like they do with the world news/politics.

That's why we can't possibly win without Smoot, Coles or Pierce, (according to the Post, Pastabelly....etc.) despite the fact that we've only have gone 8-8 or worse during their time here.

Take it as you may....just my:2cents:

Originally posted by Coltsfan in VA

marcus washington was not a fit because he couldn't read plays well and was not that good in coverage. harris is horrible. he was not a zone cb. he wanted more money than he was worth.

If a player is having a tough time reading and reacting, ( and I read those reports too), then he's going to have a tough time in almost any defense, even Williams' at times. He was in fact, according several reports at the time, good in coverage. From what I saw and remember last year, this holds true. Also, keep in mind that cover 2 can be a fairly generic term when it comes to defenses. Teams play different kinds of it. Now that said, what would be Washington's responsibilities say in an average Cover 2 as opposed to a cover 3.

As for Harris, he was in fact their best cover guy, according to reports out at the time, until "ailments" hindered him. Now this could say that in fact he was prety good in covering zone and man. Again, from what I saw and remember last year, he did okay. And Williams will throw zones and such in there as much as blitzes and 8 man fronts. As stated earlier, you can't be a good zone cover CB, then your ass isn't playing in the NFL. Keeping mind too his specific responsibilities in Dungy's cover 2 as opposed to those Williams employs.

Archived