Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: FOXSports, Giants get Pierce

chaz13

Originally posted by bhayesp

thanks for capitalizing my point

This PFT topic has been beaten to death. Art has written many times about it as he worked with these people back when NFLTalk or whatever it was called was still around. Do a search on the topic and maybe your eyes will be opened a bit more.

thanks for capitalizing my point

Mike Florio has a few sources with a few teams, so he has some correct inside information on occasion, but the majority of his connections are just feeding him unsubstatiated crap that he reports. He is admittedly not a journalist, and does not fact check as a journalist should. He like crating a stir, that's for certain, but to take any of that stuff as gospel truth is really foolish.

Oh, and have fun facing Gibb's complicated offense, Pierce. At least you might make the game somewhat respectable when we give the vaGiants their annual asswhippin':D

Edit: Guys, bear with me. I need to vent. I have about 2 or 3 more rants left. Promise

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3433974

The deal is a six-year deal worth $26 million and includes a $6.5 million signing bonus, a tremendous figure for the up-and-coming linebacker. The structure of the deal is also done in a way to benefit the Giants salary cap and gives them some wiggle room over the course of the deal. Pierce has not yet signed but the agreement is in place.

Originally posted by bobzmuda

quote:

The deal is a six-year deal worth $26 million and includes a $6.5 million signing bonus, a tremendous figure for the up-and-coming linebacker. The structure of the deal is also done in a way to benefit the Giants salary cap and gives them some wiggle room over the course of the deal. Pierce has not yet signed but the agreement is in place.

There is still a chance....phew

The Giants may noy allowed Pierce to give the Skins a chance to match. Maybe they said the deal is only good if you sign it now. Also thanks to some of you for backing up PFT, because some people jumped down my throat when I posted it. Not that they are always right, but they have been right on on a lot of deals lately. They did have the R. Moss trade days before it happened.

Originally posted by chaz13

The Giants may noy allowed Pierce to give the Skins a chance to match. Maybe they said the deal is only good if you sign it now. Also thanks to some of you for backing up PFT, because some people jumped down my throat when I posted it. Not that they are always right, but they have been right on on a lot of deals lately. They did have the R. Moss trade days before it happened.

Every once in a while, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

i'm going to drop it on this note...i agree he isn't a journalist...and i never said he was always right...i clearly stated he gets things wrong...all i was trying to say was that anyone who has been following him lately can clearly see he has gotten better...maybe his sources, maybe his bs detector...i don't know...but he breaks stories over national media outlets...it's impressive...mainly, i just can deal with some of the ignorant remarks about it...but that's really my problem...i've calmed from them pierce news though...so i off of it...sorry to take things so far off topic...thanks for being straightforward Gilgamesh

We all new that we probably wouldn't be able to sign both Smoot and AP if AP got a great offer and that is exactly what he got. Its the same way we got coles in the first place. Just good timing for the lucky team that gets our AP.

I hope whoever said "maybe AP will be our Trotter" is right cause he is welcome back anytime.

He is prolly going to become an OLB (his natural position) and he should be pretty successful. I wish him luck and just hope he has enough class not to bash us in the media.

Unfortunately a very few will show that lack of class here and join in on bashing/questioning this move for him. Thats a big contract for a small guy. He did well and should get paid but the timing was bad for us.

We've got a lot of money invested in our linebackers and this is exactly the swallow your pride move that our management needs to learn from.

Hopefully our front office can learn from this and try to identify and lock up some young players like AP before they get away in the future.

Good luck Antonio, I will be routing for YOU 14 times a year! :ciao:

:peaceout:

i'm going to drop it on this note...i agree he isn't a journalist...and i never said he was always right...i clearly stated he gets things wrong...all i was trying to say was that anyone who has been following him lately can clearly see he has gotten better...maybe his sources, maybe his bs detector...i don't know...but he breaks stories over national media outlets...it's impressive...mainly, i just can deal with some of the ignorant remarks about it...but that's really my problem...i've calmed from them pierce news though...so i off of it...sorry to take things so far off topic...thanks for being straightforward Gilgamesh

No worries. I do agree with you that he is better than he used to be, at least about being somewhat objective. The thing that I like best about Florio is that he provides legitimate criticism of mainstream sports media when they do lousy work. You can't have enough of that in my opinion.

Originally posted by chaz13

Also thanks to some of you for backing up PFT, because some people jumped down my throat when I posted it.

No one jumped down your throat. The moderator and others suggested instead of taking a website that 'gets it right sometimes' word for it and posting it as fact, that it might be good to put 'rumor' in the thread title instead of stating it as fact.

Thats just being courteous. And its been suggested about 100 times in the past week. If you don't understand why guys get irritable over it, you're not paying very good attention.

And whatever you think of pro football talk, its an opinion. We all have a right to one. One man's ignorant is another man's plain as day.

I keep hearing the Giants want Plaxico and Bell. They aren't going to have the cap room for Pierce as well as those two. If that is true about a 13$ million bonus, Bell better sign asap. He isn't worth close to that, the guy never plays.

Originally posted by Truant

Oh well... he was vastly overrated.

Take his numbers this year and whoever plays MLB next year will put up the same or better numbers.

Congrads to him.

"Vastly overrated" IMO...NO he was not not. He was a very good leader of GW defense. Heck, maybe he gives the Skins a chance to call the contract???

:gaintsuck

Sources told FOXSports.com that the Giants have come to terms on a deal with Washington Redskins MLB Antonio Pierce, a huge loss for their division rivals Redskins. Pierce also had interest from the Chiefs and an offer from the Vikings, who jumped into the fray today.

Pierce was loved by Redskins LB Gregg Williams, who once told FOXSports.com that Pierce is one of the smartest linebackers the defensive coordinator has ever coached in his career. Ironically, he was able to jumpstart his career when he filled in at Washington for another former Giant, Michael Barrow.

Bell, brought in by the Giants earlier in the day, was brought to New York for a physical but the team soon backed off when Pierce came into the picture. It's unclear if the Giants had Pierce in their sights during Bell's visit or if they jumped into the Pierce derby as a result of Bell's visit.

Pierce had a breakthrough season in 2004 when he registered 160 tackles according to the Redskins totals, 112 according to the numbers on NFL.com. He was also responsible for making several defensive calls and often helped putting other players in the correct position.

:gaintsuck

Archived