Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

defense wins championships

bsmsss

if the skins sign adams,the d might have better personnel then the world chamion ravens of 2 yrs ago--

marvin lewis will have an unreal d--this team might surprise alot--they are starting to look more and more like balt of 2 yrs ago but with a much better offensive coach--

eagles beware the skins are catching up

Sam Adams or not, the country is sleeping on our D. Please recall that we were 0-5 until #56 picked off an errant pass and ran it back for six. We then went on to win five straight and salvage the seaon. Being from NY (G-Men v Skins tix are worth their weight in plutonium) I had never been to a home Redskins game before that day. And on that day I decided that if D made moments like those, rejoice in suffocating Defense.

HTTR

Smootylish, that was a BAD *** game. Usually, NFC East games (minus Arizona) are like that. Anyways, I am with you guys, except for one thing: David Terrell. I think he has personally kept many drives alive with his terrible tackling, especially the cowboy game (game 11). I think a defense has to have solid safties. But hopefully Marvin can help him out with some technique, and get him to not be such a PUSSSY.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but two years ago the skins were picked by everyone ahs having the best off season and that they were superbowl favorites and you guys were talking about the possibility of winning three in a row...

I think you have to give things time to jell and lets see what happens and injuries play the most important role in getting to the superbowl. If you get injuries as any NFL team does during the season and you don't have the backups that can step up and play, then its all for naught.

plus you have to keep in mind, three head coaches, three coaching staff changes, three different offensive and defensive systems in three years....there has been zero continuity for three years. don't expect too much.

disagree with this last comment. even the '99 Rams, an offensive powerhouse had the #1 rated defense in the NFC. That is a point that is conveniently forgotten.

what made the 2000 Rams such a disappointment at 10-6 was not the offense but the fall of the defense with injuries and poor play by keys such as Kevin Carter and Todd Lyght to one of the worst units in the league.

in 2001 the defense returned with new players and a new coordinator, and ouila!, the Rams were back at 14-2. :)

Balance win championships, for the most part.

With a few exceptions, the Super Bowl winner generally has a powerful offense, too.

Offense and defense feed off one another. Team chemistry isn't confined to one side of the ball. Look at the Pats Super Bowl win. Their defense kept the game close. Though the offense struggled for most of the game, it essentially won the game with that final drive.

You can't load up on one side of the ball to the detriment of the other.

Balance, my friends. Balance.

A large part of the reason the Rams defense in '99 was so good can be attributed to an offenses that made opposing offenses use only a small portion of their playbooks while the '00 Ravens offense was much more effective than most people seem to give them credit for.

While a great defense can get you to a championship, truly great offenses can also. Football is highly synergistic (you can't in most cases, look at any of the parts without looking at the whole) and the best way is to have a championship is to have all parts in balance.

Sorry Guru, you had not posted when I started my response. :cheers:

Well if we have a super defense and nice to great offense we are super bowl bound.

If the safety spots are solid against the pass as it is against the run then we will rival the Ravens of two years ago however we arent going to be playing the Bengals,Browns,hurting Titans and pitts teams as well as a prevent offensive Team in the big dance like the Midgets

My point was that you can't go too far in any direction. IF you have a dominanting defense, you still need a serviceable offense, and vice versa.

Heavily imbalanced teams can make the playoffs, but don't always make it to the show.

Re the Rams D, I regard their so-called #1 rating as akin to the highly rated SF D in those years when Young was running the O -- they would get so many points up on you so quickly the defense knew you HAD to pass, and could therefore tee off on your QB (remember Stubbys 14/15 sack season? What was THAT?).

But it doesn't matter. You need D, you need O, you need ST, you need coaching, management, and players. Oh yeah -- and luck.

Hopefully we'll have a bit of it all this season. HAIL SKINS!!!!

With Davis and the ground game I think it is possible to cobble together an effective passing attack with the receivers we have.

The challenge will be to get better than average quarterbacking :)

We need Shane or whomever wins our starting job to start 16 games and finish with a rating in the 80's.

If we get that, I think the Redskins will be in the playoffs.

If not it will be another struggle to get near .500.................

Smootylicous, from a historical perspective:

#56 of the NY Giants was facing a strong SF49ers team, with Montana at the helm. LT was reading pass, when all the wizardy of Walsh suggested run. LT took one step forward, then dashed back to the sideline picking the pass clean, while in full stride beginning one of th first of many highlight films - TD! That turned the Giants season around and the rest is history.

Often in sports, a player epitomizes the coache's character - LT - Parcells, Green - Gibbs, Lombardi - Starr , Noll - Green, Smith - Johnson, Warner - Martz, Walsh - Montana, etc.

These players also do things that spark their teams on to streaks!

Originally posted by OPM

A large part of the reason the Rams defense in '99 was so good can be attributed to an offenses that made opposing offenses use only a small portion of their playbooks while the '00 Ravens offense was much more effective than most people seem to give them credit for.

While a great defense can get you to a championship, truly great offenses can also. Football is highly synergistic (you can't in most cases, look at any of the parts without looking at the whole) and the best way is to have a championship is to have all parts in balance.

Sorry Guru, you had not posted when I started my response. :cheers:

What you say rings true, except the last two years prove otherwise. The Ravens two years ago went 5 games without scoring a touchdown, and their defense won it all for them. They played field position ball. kicked field goals cause they couldnt score TDs, and told their offense to NOT LOSE IT for them.

Last year the patriots offense was nowehre near as strong as their defense, or even their special teams.

These days if a defense is exceptional, and the special teams is decent, as long as the offnese isnt HORRIBLE then the team will succeed.

Originally posted by bsmsss

if the skins sign adams,the d might have better personnel then the world chamion ravens of 2 yrs ago--

marvin lewis will have an unreal d--this team might surprise alot--they are starting to look more and more like balt of 2 yrs ago but with a much better offensive coach--

eagles beware the skins are catching up

You are right on with this one my friend. This defense will be mighty special. Reporters better start getting out all their "Capitol Punishment" and "Pearl Harbor" terms from the past, cause bombs will be going off left and right.

Are you kidding me?? Sam Adams?? If THAT guy comes to town, then opposing RBs will no longer be able to run up the middle on our porous defense. They will have to run toward either Lavar, Jesse, or Jeremiah, and THROUGH them they will not get.

Someone said Terrell was a weak tackler; maybe so, but consider this. IF the safety is the one doing the tackling to begin with, then the D line didnt do its job, an all too often problem for the Skins the past several years. Signing Adams will help alleviate that problem, forcing the rbs to go side to side, and not north and south.

I think that inorder to have a special defense, we must add one more piece to the DL. At Safety I hope the youngster Ohalete gets a chance, I read that he ran with the 1st team D in recent practices. IMO, Terrell is best served as an extra DB in nickel & dime situations.

Originally posted by sonofyens

What you say rings true, except the last two years prove otherwise. The Ravens two years ago went 5 games without scoring a touchdown, and their defense won it all for them. They played field position ball. kicked field goals cause they couldnt score TDs, and told their offense to NOT LOSE IT for them.

Last year the patriots offense was nowehre near as strong as their defense, or even their special teams.

These days if a defense is exceptional, and the special teams is decent, as long as the offnese isnt HORRIBLE then the team will succeed.

Actually, the Ravens offense was a lot better than you seem to give them credit for. The Patriots defense was a lot worse.

Any way, the focus word was MOSTLY. No doubt you can find specific exceptions but I was talking about the way that is most likely to bring you a championship.

Imbalance either way is likely to spell failure. Look at the Bucs. One of the reasons that the '00 Ravens failed to repeat was the loss of their running back.

Every team that has won multiple big games has had balance.

Archived