Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rolle contract in Tenn??

bpoch

I got this from ESPN:

Friday, August 31

Updated: September 7, 10:15 AM ET

Rolle's reported deal would top $36 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans spent Sunday trying to work out final details on the long-term contract All-Pro cornerback Samari Rolle wants badly enough that he left the team for three days last week.

Negotiations resumed Friday when Rolle returned to the team, and picked up Saturday. On Sunday, agents Lamont Smith and Peter Schaffer were at the team's practice facility and took a break from talks to speak with Rolle after a 90-minute practice.

"We're still discussing, still talking," Titans general manager Floyd Reese said Sunday night. "We've had productive work. We should know within the next day or two."

The deal being considered would be for five years, with an option year, worth between $37 million and $38 million. Also, a signing bonus between $10 million and $10.5 million would put Rolle among the highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL.

Rolle returned to the Titans on Friday, confident he let team officials know just how much he wants a long-term contract.

"I just wanted to make a statement," Rolle said after a 50-minute workout Friday afternoon, his first practice since leaving the Titans on Monday night.

"That's the reason I left. I wanted to be here. It was a difficult decision, but it was something I had to do to show everyone I wanted to be here. I don't regret doing it, but I want to finish my career here like Steve (McNair) and Eddie (George)."

Rolle arrived in time for a team meeting Friday afternoon, and the Titans welcomed him back with open arms. Coach Jeff Fisher called Rolle's return the most positive step in a week where the Titans had fined their cornerback $5,000 a day and threatened to suspend him if he wasn't back within five days.

"He really wants to be here. That's what's important. His departure was peculiar because as we've talked about, it's not something that you see and you figure there was a reason for it," said Fisher, who met privately with Rolle.

"We have accepted that, and we're going to do everything we can ... and try to facilitate that."

Rolle spent his time away from the Titans talking with agents Lamont Smith and Peter Schaffer and with his mother in Miami about his options. He decided becoming a free agent didn't appeal to him after a visit to the St. Louis Rams during the offseason.

He settled on trying to work out a new contract with the Titans, while preparing himself to test the free agent market if it doesn't happen by Sept. 9 when the Titans open against the Miami Dolphins.

"Samari has instructed us to enter into discussions with them," Schaffer said. "If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't work out by the first game, then he has instructed us to cease discussions."

That has been the Titans' intention all along. Signing Rolle to a new deal has been one of their priorities since last season when the cornerback earned his first All-Pro honors and tied for the AFC lead in interceptions.

Smith has worked out a couple of big deals with the Titans, including All-Pro running back Eddie George's six-year extension for $41.25 million with an option for a seventh season last summer and receiver Derrick Mason's five-year contract for $19 million last March.

The framework under consideration for Rolle is $36 million over six years. Some of the haggling has been over how much of the contract will be guaranteed. Rolle currently has a one-year tender for $1.488 million he signed last month when he reported to camp.

Rolle will slip right back into his slot as the Titans' starter at right corner, Fisher said.

His teammates didn't waste any time Friday kidding with Rolle about his "vacation." But safety Blaine Bishop, the last player to hold out over a contract when he missed training camp in 1997, said he advised Rolle to be patient."

"Everything will get worked out, and it's your actions on the field that speaks volumes," he said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0831/1246333.html

Here is another one from USA Today:

09/06/2001 - Updated 07:35 PM ET

Titans lock up CB Rolle for 6 years, $37.5M

By Teresa M. Walker, The Associated Press

2001-08-27-inside-rolle.gif

By John Russell, AP file

Titans cornerback Samari Rolle.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Tennessee Titans agreed to terms Thursday with All-Pro cornerback Samari Rolle on a new six-year contract worth $37.5 million.

Negotiations had been interrupted last week when Rolle left camp upset over the slow pace of talks, but resumed Aug. 31 when he returned.

He will receive a two-tiered signing bonus of $11.5 million in a deal that replaces the one-year, $1.48 million tender he signed last month, according to sources close to the negotiations. The new deal is for five years with an expensive option for the sixth year.

General manager Floyd Reese confirmed they finally concluded a six-year contract, saying the Titans now have tied up one of the NFL's premier cornerbacks.

"He's still a young man, and I imagine there's a possibility he could sign a contract after this, but I'm sure this will take the bigger part of his career," Reese said. "We're proud he's going to remain a Titan."

Both sides had been working against a deadline set by Rolle to have a new contract in place by Sunday night's season opener with the Miami Dolphins. Without it, he planned to play out the season and become a free agent.

Rolle left the Titans for three days last week. He met with his agents, Lamont Smith and Peter Schaffer, and his mother in Miami, trying to figure out all his options.

"I think in my head I believed it would get done because they told me in the offseason it would get done," Rolle said after practice when the deal was announced. "My biggest concern was about the insurance thing and just the possibility of having to play the season out.

"Now it's just about playing."

Reese had been working with Rolle's agents since last Friday when the cornerback returned to the team. Negotiations picked up Sunday when they met most of the day, and the two sides have been working out the final details since then.

Rolle, 25, is coming off his first All-Pro season after he tied for the AFC lead in interceptions last year with seven. He has led the Titans in that category the past two seasons, and they had promised to conclude the deal by the season opener because they didn't want to let him slip away.

"He's got unbelievable instincts, and he's got great hands," Reese said. "A lot of defensive backs get in a position where they can intercept a lot of balls, but they don't catch them. Luckily for us, Samari has real good hands so he's able to catch the balls."

Rolle decided life as a free agent didn't suit him after he visited the St. Louis Rams in April as a restricted free agent.

He said he left the Titans' training camp to show how much he wanted a long-term contract with the team that drafted him in the second round in 1998.

"I didn't want to do that, but like I said, having to face reality and maybe not being here next year was a big concern. But my teammates and coaches accepted me with open arms, and I feel like it's behind me now."

Coach Jeff Fisher said the issue of Rolle's departure has blown over for the Titans.

"We've got a premier corner in the National Football League as a part of our program now for a lot of years. That's what's important," Fisher said.

The Titans have been very busy over the past 14 months, giving multiyear contracts to several players including All-Pro running back Eddie George, quarterback Steve McNair and receiver Derrick Mason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/titans/2001-09-06-rolle.htm

As much as I want the guy, I was thrown off by what the article said abiut him leaving camp for 3 days because he wanted to "make a statement" that he wanted to be there. Shouldn't the guy just shine on the field and his passion and desire will shine through? That, coupled with his issues this off season, do raise flags. But if Gibbs and Williams endorse him, I am all for this signing, although at a reasonable cost. I don't know why we would pay more for him than Smoot though, because signing free agents can be truly risky, and we already know what we have with Smoot, and I personally like it as well as the fiery attitude he brings.

Archived