Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hutchinson over Carter?

OrangeSkin

Cowboys | Some Like Hutchinson Over Carter? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

14:34 PT: ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports there are several coaches on the Dallas Cowboys' staff that feel it's just a matter of time before second-year QB Quincy Carter is beat out by newcomer Chad Hutchinson. Hutchinson, who was still a bit rusty during workouts, has looked sharp and has the physical tools to push Carter for the starting job.

I remember reading reports that claimed that, had he stayed at Stanford, Hutchinson may have been a better prospect than David Carr so this doesn't surprise me.

Still, you have to question wether or not his motivation to play football is purely economic given that he walked away from the game without regret.

I thought at the time that he was the perfect, blank tabula, for Spurrier to work with, and since we wouldn't have to use a draft pick to get him, the price was right. I was crossing my fingers that we'd sign him.

Looking back on it, Dallas just beat us to the punch, they began recruiting the kid while Schitenheimer was still our head coach and even with SS in the drivers seat we never made up the stagger.

a) If Chad Hutchinson is named starter, we need to archive all those silly posts about what a great draft pick QC was so that 'reminders' might be doled out when appropriate. Reminders and cold crow...a tasty dish for Dallas diners.

B) BCS....I've always loved that scene from The Third Man. They don't write dialog like that anymore.

There was an article over at CBS Sportsline about this issue.

It mentioned that Hutchinson has really amazed the staff considering what we were expecting a QB who has been away from the game for 4.5 years to look like. His size is impressive, his accuracy looks great, and his arm strength is very strong.

Of course, this is all in mini-camps without pads so take it with a grain of salt.

But then the blurb, stuck in the article somewhere near the middle, mentioned that Carter has also looked very good. It's not as if Carter is stumblin' around out there tripping over his own shoelaces by any means. All the articles -- local and national -- have mentioned that he looks very good as well. I think there's a bit more of a shock factor though when a guy who has been away from the game so long (Hutch) actually looks good immediately.

Again, I like Carter and I hope he's our starter because of the way he works his tail off. I just can't see a rookie beating him out this season, if for no other reason the team isn't going to want to go through a rookie QB for another season. Also, I suspect that once Hutch starts seeing some playing time in preseason games against live competition, when he has to read defenses, he'll look far more average... Afterall, he is a rookie.

well, considering the fact Chad got a $3.1 million bonus to sign in Dallas should indicate that Jones is expecting some kind of return out of this player down the road. :)

Carter is cheap and has shown some skills so if Quincy starts for another year and DOESN'T make it than the door is open for Hutchinson.

If Carter DOES turn out to be a starting NFL quarterback, then Hutchinson is an expensive backup for 2 years or the Cowboys trade him for draft choices.

Not too bad in either scenario, actually.

The only way this doesn't work out is if BOTH quarterbacks wash out and Dallas is back in the draft in 2003 or 2004 looking for signal callers.

I love the fact that Hutch is impressing people. It would be one thing if Carter was not looking all that great, but the articles I have read on the 2 QBs indicate that Carter is looking very impressive too.

Say the Redskins had start Ramsey this year and think that he shows enough to be a quality starter in the NFL. Next year Sage works his butt off and comes in and blows the staff away with what he can do. Does that mean Ramsey sucked all along? Would this be an embarrassing development for Skins fans?

I do not want to see a rookie starting at QB, because I think Dallas has a legit shot at the playoffs. However, if the coaches think Hutch can be a better QB than Q Carter, I hope Hutch gets a chance to play some this year and then is allowed to compete for a sarting spot next year. The Boy's biggest ? going into the future is their QB position. Jerry made sure he addressed the position, and the early returns look good.

Here is the whole blurb from Prisco (Pasqblahblah does not mention Carter) http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,5319055,00.html

They won't quite come out and say it publicly, but the Cowboys are raving about what they saw last week from rookie quarterback Chad Hutchinson. After four years playing professional baseball, Hutchinson was impressive in his first minicamp, giving some in Dallas the idea he could conceivably beat out Quincy Carter for the starting job. It wasn't that Carter looked bad -- because he was also impressive -- it's just that Hutchinson has those prototype skills that Troy Aikman had when he led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl victories. Hutchinson made all the throws during the camp, which is what the Cowboys had hoped. At 6-feet-4, he is a pocket passer with a quick release. If either Hutchinson or Carter can become a legitimate starter, the Cowboys could be the surprise of the league. Whoever starts will have a nice new weapon to throw to in rookie receiver Antonio Bryant. He was impressive at the rookie camp and showed the ability to run routes with precision. The coaching staff raved about him. He will prove to be a second-round steal. They are already comparing Bryant to former Cowboys Michael Irvin, a player Bryant idolized as a kid.

Nerm,

I don't think your Sage-Ramsey analogy works. You really haven't found a cadre of Redskin fans who are claiming either of these guys are The Saviour. It's my perception (and I believe it's shared on this board) that Cowboy fans have been as defensive as wolverines over criticism that Carter was taken two rounds too soon in the draft. The line we get is that he's a Star in Waiting.

As for us, if we can come up with anything resembling an NFL QB, I'll be very happy. Cowboy fans have been pretty spoiled at QB - that Craig Morton, Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, Danny White to Troy Aikman string was mighty impressive.

Carter showed some improvement at the end of last season, although I wouldn't say he's worthy of the HOF yet. But what's surprising is that they're willing to start a guy that's been playing baseball for years over their supposed franchise QB. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Originally posted by TennesseeCarl

Nerm,

I don't think your Sage-Ramsey analogy works. You really haven't found a cadre of Redskin fans who are claiming either of these guys are The Saviour. It's my perception (and I believe it's shared on this board) that Cowboy fans have been as defensive as wolverines over criticism that Carter was taken two rounds too soon in the draft. The line we get is that he's a Star in Waiting.

As for us, if we can come up with anything resembling an NFL QB, I'll be very happy. Cowboy fans have been pretty spoiled at QB - that Craig Morton, Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, Danny White to Troy Aikman string was mighty impressive.

TennesseeCarl, I agree that a lot of Cowboy fans have been pumping up Carter. I like Carter and by the end of last season he I began to think that he may be the answer at QB.

I think Carter was a reach and I was fairly pissed that Jerry passed on Shaun Rogers. When QC started the season against Tampa he put in one of the worst performances that I had ever seen from a QB. I could not believe that an NFL QB could miss open WRs by as much as he was missing them by. He couldnt even take a snap from center consistently. However, the way Carter improved after he came back from his injury made me and a lot of other Dallas fans excited about next year. When he came in and dominated against the 9ers a year after Dallas was embarrased by them, he made a lot of people begin to wonder if he could turn into something special. He still needs to show progress, but he does not look like the disaster that some are making him out to be.

Some fans go a little overboard and seem to think that Dallas has already answered the QB question. Others seem fairly upset that anyone could question QC's status as the starter. I dont think that playing Hutch this year gives Dallas much chance to compete for a playoff spot, but if the coaches are sitting around saying "this guy is too good to keep on the bench", I think it is a fantastic development.

I like the way things are looking with Carter, but I will be happy with whoever gives Dallas a chance to compete for a SB again. I think a QB controversy is OK as long as it is because both QBs look very good, not because one looks really bad. Hopefully, both will turn into great QBs. Compared to this time last year, Dallas has reason for optimism about the near term future of the club.

Archived