Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Coles Appears on His Way Out

Sanders 83

Coles appears on his way out

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20050222-123834-8489r.htm

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins are attempting to trade No. 1 wide receiver Laveranues Coles in a complicated move that would satisfy both sides' desire to part ways.

Coach Joe Gibbs yesterday strongly denied a report Coles would be released, but club sources said the Redskins are looking hard at severing ties with Coles, who was the centerpiece of the team's run through free agency just two years ago.

However, Washington is emphatic about getting something in return for Coles' departure. Besides giving him a seven-year, $35Â million contract in 2003, the Redskins surrendered the draft's 13th overall pick to the New York Jets because Coles was a restricted free agent.

To facilitate a trade, Coles would have to suspend part of his massive contract. He has shown a surprising willingness to "give back" part of his $13Â million signing bonus, but an ESPN.com report indicated the offer is contingent upon his outright release, not a trade. In addition, there are questions as to whether this unprecedented plan would pass muster with the NFL Management Council.

A source familiar with the situation said Washington has been trying for at least a week to work out a deal in which Coles would waive the final installment on his signing bonus " $5 million due April 1 " in return for the right trade. His new team then would pay the $5 million and assume the remainder of his current contract.

The source said the Jets are the focus of at least some trade talks. A deal for Jets defensive end John Abraham, who has been given the franchise tag, apparently was broached. The sides also could complete a deal involving draft picks. Talks should heat up at the NFL Scouting Combine this week.

Because there are multiple fronts to a potential swap, Coles' future won't be resolved easily. Time pressure also exists. If Coles were to waive his final bonus payment after March 1, the salary cap credit for Washington would come in 2006 instead of 2005, effectively killing the deal.

Gibbs emphasized that Coles, who has caught 172 passes in two seasons as a Redskin, won't be cut. He said Coles has not been permitted to seek a trade, in contrast to fellow wideout Rod Gardner. The coach also indicated Coles could play in Washington in 2005.

"I'm making plans," Gibbs said. "We're going straight ahead and going forward with what we've got here. L.C. is a part of those plans. Now we'll see what happens. But all of our conversations and everything have been productive. I think we understand each other."

Gibbs and Coles have spoken several times since the end of the season, and Coles made it clear he was unhappy with the offense and interested in moving on. An ostensible big-play receiver, Coles generated just 950 yards on his 90 catches in 2004, and only three of his receptions went for more than 22 yards.

The Redskins, though, are similarly frustrated. A club source said Gibbs, who often has praised Coles' toughness, isn't pleased with the receiver's current attitude. And there is no shortage of Redskins officials who wish Coles finally would undergo surgery to repair his right big toe.

Coles suffered a stress fracture in the toe three weeks into the 2003 season, and his play immediately suffered. Since catching 23 passes for 391 yards in his first three games as a Redskin, he has averaged just 11.8 yards a catch. His only touchdown last season came on a trick-play throw from running back Clinton Portis.

If Coles departed, the Redskins would have to acquire two starting wide receivers. Gibbs is seeking to retool an offense that ranked 30th last season. It remains unclear whether Gardner, who has played erratically in four NFL seasons, will find a trade partner for Washington.

In any case, Gibbs clearly distinguished Coles' and Gardner's situations and by omission signaled a less than promising outlook for Darnerien McCants.

"We feel like with James Thrash and Taylor Jacobs, we can build around those two guys, and we've got L.C.," Gibbs said. "In Rod's case, we're looking for somebody to take that spot."

Gibbs shot down the possibility of acquiring several high-priced receivers in recent weeks: Minnesota's Randy Moss, Pittsburgh's Plaxico Burress and Carolina's Muhsin Muhammad. Other options include Oakland's Jerry Porter, Tennessee's Derrick Mason and New England's David Givens. Givens is a restricted free agent.

The Redskins also have the draft's ninth overall pick, though Gibbs has said he doesn't want to bank on filling a need in the draft.

The cap is an obstacle for Washington, which is trying to re-sign several veterans, notably linebacker Antonio Pierce, and issue as many as 11 tender offers. Trading Coles under the scenario presently being discussed would eliminate another $928,000 in spending money. Last week Washington restructured three contracts to add cap room, and the deal of right guard Randy Thomas apparently is next in line.

The upshot is that left tackle Chris Samuels seems to be gaining leverage in talks to restructure his contract. With another $928,000 gone, the Redskins would be even more eager for the cap room a new deal with Samuels would create.

Notes " A club source said the Redskins will take a close look at Tennessee cornerback Samari Rolle, who was released, along with Mason, in a cap purge by the Titans yesterday. Rolle is a potential replacement for Fred Smoot, who is expected to leave via free agency.

Rolle, however, was arrested and charged with domestic abuse last week, and Gibbs is wary of risky characters. Redskins assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams was with Tennessee when Rolle was drafted. ...

The Redskins re-signed running back John Simon, one of their nine remaining restricted free agents. Simon, who spent last season on injured reserve, should compete for special-teams duties.

The source said the Jets are the focus of at least some trade talks. A deal for Jets defensive end John Abraham, who has been given the franchise tag, apparently was broached. The sides also could complete a deal involving draft picks.

When all else fails, fleece the Jets ;)

Coles for Abrahms and their #2 :D

maybe we can trade then Morton for McCarriens and a late round pick

:laugh:

The upshot is that left tackle Chris Samuels seems to be gaining leverage in talks to restructure his contract. With another $928,000 gone, the Redskins would be even more eager for the cap room a new deal with Samuels would create.

exactly why Samuels agents has waited to complete a new deal

Abraham and a 2nd for Coles I would do in a heartbeat!

I really hope that we do give Derrick Mason a look, he is a real productive WR and he still has the quickness and burst that Coles lacks b/c of his toe injury...Rolle I'm not sold on b/c he is injury prone and rarely plays a full season...

The source said the Jets are the focus of at least some trade talks. A deal for Jets defensive end John Abraham, who has been given the franchise tag, apparently was broached. The sides also could complete a deal involving draft picks. Talks should heat up at the NFL Scouting Combine this week.

I would assume the Jets would offer a draft pick/picks if they are interested in trading for Coles.

Rolle, however, was arrested and charged with domestic abuse last week, and Gibbs is wary of risky characters. Redskins assistant head coach for defense Gregg Williams was with Tennessee when Rolle was drafted.

Well, Rolle may be a headcase, but he was awesome when he was drafted by Tennessee & returning to Gregg Williams would help. I didn't know that Williams was there when Rolle was drafted. Maybe they should think hard about this one.

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

Well, Rolle may be a headcase, but he was awesome when he was drafted by Tennessee & returning to Gregg Williams would help. I didn't know that Williams was there when Rolle was drafted. Maybe they should think hard about this one.

Rolle is pretty much in the same boat as Springs last year, with the main difference being his arrest this year. There's no way we would let him on board if this was really going to be a distraction or a pattern.

We replaced #24 last year, this may be the best canidate to replace #21 this year.

Originally posted by Sanders 83

Rolle is pretty much in the same boat as Springs last year, with the main difference being his arrest this year. There's no way we would let him on board if this was really going to be a distraction or a pattern.

We replaced #24 last year, this may be the best canidate to replace #21 this year.

Exactly. Just how often does he have off-field issues? I mean, is this a regular thing or just a one-time thing? I don't really follow the Titans or their roster so I have no idea whether he is a regular problem off the field or not. But on the field, Rolle, I think, would fit us well.

Archived