Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green NFL's Fastest Man Competitions

radagast5

With the recent talk of Darrell's noteworthy showing at the NFL Skills competition last weekend, I was reminiscing about his four appearances in the NFL's Fastest Man competition in the 1980s and 1990s.

Does anyone out there have a tape of any of Darrell's appearances in those events, or know about how to acquire them?

NFL Films does not have them, or so I've been told when I inquired about them. Nor does Darrell's official Web site have much clue where such a tape(s) could be acquired.

I'd also be interested in seeing a tape of the 1991 World's Fastest Athlete event that Darrell won, too.

Any thoughts?

I think DG even qualify for the 84yr olympics with cArl lewis but passed on it.

that guy could still probaly out run 90% of our skins roster today...lol

if you all saw the race yesterday.

he hung around those 20s runners in a 43yr old body. thats just not human...lol.

love the guy though. Too bad we wont see another one like that EVAR.

Originally posted by Fan4life

I think DG even qualify for the 84yr olympics with cArl lewis but passed on it.

that guy could still probaly out run 90% of our skins roster today...lol

if you all saw the race yesterday.

he hung around those 20s runners in a 43yr old body. thats just not human...lol.

love the guy though. Too bad we wont see another one like that EVAR.

He's actually 45. Which makes it even more amazing that he was still hanging with those guys.

I am not sure if there was anything even taped on the event. I do know for a fact that there was a special collectors card made that featured Darrel, because I have several of them. I haven't broke out my cards since 1992, so I will take a look and see just how many, in the near future.

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

I am not sure if there was anything even taped on the event. I do know for a fact that there was a special collectors card made that featured Darrel, because I have several of them. I haven't broke out my cards since 1992, so I will take a look and see just how many, in the near future.

It would be cool if you could scan some of those and post them!

I remember seeing the race that featured DG and Carl Lewis amongst others and the one thing I remember vividly is how DG was ahead of Carl Lewis by about a step and a half at the half way point (40-50yards) but then Carl Lewis edged him out at the end. Darell Green was like greased lightning... He was the fastest in the league for a LONG TIME !!!

Originally posted by radagast5

Does anyone out there have a tape of any of Darrell's appearances in those events, or know about how to acquire them?

NFL Films does not have them, or so I've been told when I inquired about them. Nor does Darrell's official Web site have much clue where such a tape(s) could be acquired.

Any thoughts?

I remember watching the annual NFL Fastest Man competition each year and they were on one of the three major networks (2, 4 or 7). I may even have taped them at the time, but subsequently erased them as I don't have them anymore.

I suggest you inquire with the 3 networks, although I doubt they would sell you copies, assuming they still have them. :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I remember watching the annual NFL Fastest Man competition each year and they were on one of the three major networks (2, 4 or 7). I may even have taped them at the time, but subsequently erased them as I don't have them anymore.

I suggest you inquire with the 3 networks, although I doubt they would sell you copies, assuming they still have them. :)

I specifically remember that the first competition, in the spring of 1986, was definitely broadcast on NBC. In fact, if you watch the clip of Green beating Willie Gault (from that '86 event) which appeared in the short piece on Darrell before the NFL Skills competition last weekend, you can hear Ahmad Rashad calling the race.

After that first year, the event was sponsored by Sprint, and became---duck the pun---the Sprint NFL's Fastest Man competition. But, I'm not sure which network broadcast it after that.

The last time I remember it being officially run was around 1996 or so, and I think Eddie Kennison won it. Darrell's last time was 1991, when he edged Ron Brown by about 1/100th of a second.

At some point in the last three or four months, someone here posted that they had a copy of that 1991 World's Fastest Athlete on tape, but I couldn't find the post when I searched for it.

I'll see if I can make any headway with the networks. I've got some experience in acquiring footage like this, so it may not be the Quixotic quest that it appears to be.

I remeber my Dad taping it and we watched one of the competitions. It might be on Beta, or there is a chance it is on VHS, I'll look for it tonight...

He raced in four competitions and won all four.

I heard when him and Carl Lewis raced with pads on, Darrell Green won.

The NFL Fastest Man Competition was a 60-yard dash and Darrell set the record with a 6.09

Archived