Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

70 Chip (TXREDSKINS44's New Sig Pic)

red zone

After diggin' on TXREDSKINS44's new sig pic, I am reminded of some of the converstions which followed just about every Redskin loss this year.

The speculation that Gibb's offense won't work in this era is rampant and ridiculous. Take one look at 70 Chip and tell me why that play is not a servicable, bread and butter "football" play. The sick block Otis Wonsley makes is my case in point. You have got to execute and you have to be physical. When was the last time you saw a Redskin Full Back put a block on someone like that?

I'm not saying the 'Skins need to be a straight up three yards and a cloud of dust, but anyone who thinks 70 Chip and 50 Gut won't work with Clinton Portis is smokin' crack.

Be physical and execute!

:point2sky

Originally posted by red zone

After diggin' on TXREDSKINS44's new sig pic, I am reminded of some of the converstions which followed just about every Redskin loss this year.

The speculation that Gibb's offense won't work in this era is rampant and ridiculous. Take one look at 70 Chip and tell me why that play is not a servicable, bread and butter "football" play. The sick block Otis Wonsley makes is my case in point. You have got to execute and you have to be physical. When was the last time you saw a Redskin Full Back put a block on someone like that?

I'm not saying the 'Skins need to be a straight up three yards and a cloud of dust, but anyone who thinks 70 Chip and 50 Gut won't work with Clinton Portis is smokin' crack.

Be physical and execute!

:point2sky

Your last word says it all, "execute"...when it is all said and done the fundamentals in football still apply. We execute those and the rest falls in place.

Coach Gibbs will make the adjustments during the off-season and the offense will be just fine next season.

Originally posted by ECU-ALUM

Your last word says it all, "execute"...when it is all said and done the fundamentals in football still apply. We execute those and the rest falls in place.

Coach Gibbs will make the adjustments during the off-season and the offense will be just fine next season.

Well we know that it will work with proper execution. When we executed properly it paid off. Unfortunately we didn't execute very well on a consistent basis. I think with a runner like Portis we also have to learn to keep the D on it's heels as CP can do. We need to stretch the D, then run these types of plays. Portis is physical, but he's not Riggins, he'll need a little more space to cut or juke.

I noticed the effort Wonsley exhibited on that play. He jumps a defender at the line of scrimmage... but still has the wherewithal to keep his body under control and get enough of the linebacker to give Riggo the crease. From that point... McNeil wasn't going to bring down Riggo by himself... and Wonsley made sure there wasn't anyone else that could help him out. Beautiful!!!!

Originally posted by Cskin

I noticed the effort Wonsley exhibited on that play. He jumps a defender at the line of scrimmage... but still has the wherewithal to keep his body under control and get enough of the linebacker to give Riggo the crease. From that point... McNeil wasn't going to bring down Riggo by himself... and Wonsley made sure there wasn't anyone else that could help him out. Beautiful!!!!

I agree after watching that video over and over again that block Wonsley made was Beautiful

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

Portis is physical, but he's not Riggins, he'll need a little more space to cut or juke.

Very true he's tough and solid but he isn't going to knock people over...he got 1,300 yards this year and some people say he had an off year. There are a lot of backs that would love to have 1,300 yards...heck Fred-Ex would take probably take a vow of silence for a 1,300 yard season.

Kevin B. wrote: I agree but you cannot execute and inside runs with your center getting knocked back 3 yards on every play.

I agree Kevin B. I have been lobbying for a center and guard as hard as anyone!

Everyone wants a wide-out. I want a center. Not nearly as sexy, but we need to put a "tip" on our spear" before we can get our O off the ground.

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Yeah but you don't draft a center with #9.. so there lies the dilemma.

#2, is there a center worth a 1st rounder at all?

#3 Can we complete a trade down to get that Center if we choose to?

#2...possibly, but doubtful

#3...I see no reason why a team wouldn't want our pick n the draft, especially someone who is afraid of a wideout getting taken in front of them...we could definitely trade down if we wanted to I think....

No chance we draft a center in the first round. But I think we do trade down and add some picks. The last first round center I remember was Matt Elliot of the University of Miichigan, taken by the 'Skins with the last pick in round 1. Can't recall the year, but it was after a Superbowl win. He was known as "Mr. Irrelevant"; the title given the last player chosen in the first round.

Good Centers are usually 2nd and 3rd rounders...

Originally posted by red zone

No chance we draft a center in the first round. But I think we do trade down and add some picks. The last first round center I remember was Matt Elliot of the University of Miichigan, taken by the 'Skins with the last pick in round 1. Can't recall the year, but it was after a Superbowl win. He was known as "Mr. Irrelevant"; the title given the last player chosen in the first round.

Good Centers are usually 2nd and 3rd rounders... [/quote

Sorry guy, but Matt Elliot (Mr. Irrelevant) was the last player chosen in the entire draft.

http://www.mit.edu/afs/net/user/tytso/usenet/americast/twt/sports/194

Archived