Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parents protest ID tags for students

MaddogCT

Originally posted by du7st

No, I would rather not have my children controlled by people who were the worst students among their peers in college and use their unions to negotiate higher and higher salaries for themselves all while student performance continues to decline.

Whoa....:paranoid:....you are coming from left field now man. I don't think with your obvious prejudice against teachers, and administrators, that you can be objective on this topic.

As a product of the public school system, it took me until recently to realize just how bad the experience was for myself and my classmates. If you send your children to public school, I suggest you read some thought provoking articles and books on the subject. It may change your perspective.

Walk a mile in a teacher's shoes, and then talk to me about how bad the experience is. My cousin is a teacher, my girlfriend's mother is a teacher, and my grandmother is a retired teacher, so I know first hand what they deal with everyday.

You know exactly what I meant. If we are going to talk let's talk. I don't have time to beat around the bush by being PC.

If you are going to attack the merits of the teachers and administrators, then it's kind of hard to have a serious discussion with you about this topic. You don't even think the teachers are qualified to teach. How can anybody have a serious conversation with you about the original topic now?

Painkiller,

From what I can tell, YOU only have second hand experience with schools yourself. I have no wish to be a teacher. On the other hand, I help tutor after school at a city public middle school. Using your own standards, you are in the dark not me.

So lets talk.........

Your stereotyping all public school teachers due to your schools problems.

I have met some outright brilliant teachers and administrators in our local school system. My wife works for the school district, so I get to meet many of the teachers.............weather I like it or not.:laugh:

My 9th grade art teacher is now a PHD teaching at Columbia U in NYC. My daughters science teacher taught on the college level for 20 some odd years, and now is teaching middle school.

The stereotype is just completely unfair. As for the public school system, my 6th grade daughter is doing 9th grade math, reads on a 12th grade level, and has better writing skills them many of the members here. Myself included, so it's hard for anybody to convince me that the public schools are as bad as they are made out to be.

:cheers:

Painkiller,

From what I can tell, YOU only have second hand experience with schools yourself. I have no wish to be a teacher. On the other hand, I help tutor after school at a city public middle school. Using your own standards, you are in the dark not me.

We were talking about the merits of having school students wear I.D. badges, so they can be kept track of.

YOU, took the thread in a completely different direction from what the original topic was about, by basically asserting that teachers aren't qualified to do their jobs, therefore they shouldn't be able to keep track of the kids under their care.

I do have only second hand knowledge of teaching as it were, but that's not what the original topic was about. (Although I admit, I did participate in a somewhat sidetracked debate over the merits of school uniforms :) ) What does this

No, I would rather not have my children controlled by people who were the worst students among their peers in college and use their unions to negotiate higher and higher salaries for themselves all while student performance continues to decline

have to do with tracking I.D. badges?

Originally posted by Pete

So lets talk.........

Your stereotyping all public school teachers due to your schools problems.

I have met some outright brilliant teachers and administrators in our local school system. My wife works for the school district, so I get to meet many of the teachers.............weather I like it or not.:laugh:

My nineth grade art teacher is now a PHD teaching at Columbia U in NYC. My daughters science teacher taught on the college level for 20 some odd years, and now is teaching middle school.

The stereotype is just completely unfair. As for the public school system, my 6th grade daughter is doing 9th grade math, reads on a 12th grade level, and has better writing skills them many of the members here. Myself included, so it's hard for anybody to convince me that the public schools are as bad as they are made out to be.

See I knew it. Look, I'm not attacking your wife. I am sure she does a heck of a job. Your daughter sounds like she has a great future so that is enough evidence for me. I'm sure those other teachers you mention are great at what they do as well. With that said, these are the exceptions and there is no denying it. The evidence is overwhelming. Here, I found this after 2min searching Google.

The Education of Teachers

Nowdays, when a person wants to get into graduate school at any U.S. university, he or she must take the Graduate Record Exam, or GRE for short. The test has three sections: Language, Math, and Logic. The test taker is given his or her scores for each section. Graduate schools generally look only at a cumulative score for the first two sections. I guess logic is just not as valuable as language and math. When you get your scores you also get a printout that shows how well you did within the group of people who also took the GRE on the same day across the country (the test is given 5 or 6 times per year).

With that same printout comes information on how prospective grad students perform on the GRE on average. The statistics are broken down by gender, and by college major. Those who score highest on the GRE (language and math) are, by major:

Physics majors Chemistry majors Engineering majors

Those who score lowest on the GRE (language and math) are, by major:

Psychology majors Sociology majors Education majors

Originally posted by Painkiller

We were talking about the merits of having school students wear I.D. badges, so they can be kept track of.

YOU, took the thread in a completely different direction from what the original topic was about, by basically asserting that teachers aren't qualified to do their jobs, therefore they shouldn't be able to keep track of the kids under their care.

I do have only second hand knowledge of teaching as it were, but that's not what the original topic was about. (Although I admit, I did participate in a somewhat sidetracked debate over the merits of school uniforms :) ) What does this

have to do with tracking I.D. badges?

I was dragged into the debate when I stated initially that I wanted to avoid it. You guys have prodded, so I answered. If you didn't prod, I would not have responded. The truth is everything in this post is related. These individual topics do not live by themselves in a vacuum. It's all related to what is wrong with public school. RFID is just another bad idea to make it worse.

That's all fine and good du7st, but what does if have to do with the original topic. The teachers we have, are the teachers we have. Some are more competent then others. What does this have to do with teachers monitoring kids, or how is this a valid argument that the I.D. badges, shouldn't be used? Are you saying the teachers aren't competent enough to use them properly, or that they aren't trustworthy because they statistically don't perform as well on the GRE test as a Engineering major. I don't get it.

Edit: This was a response to post 56.

I'm sorry, I should have said that my wife is a senior systems anylist for the IS department. Mainframe stuff. She doesn't teach, but writes code and other stuff in the student area.

I know there's exceptions on each side of the coin, some exceptionally good, and exceptionally bad. I wouldn't say that the ones in between are bad teachers. Some I have met down right suck, and seem to hate kids:doh: Why they even bother is beyond me.

I just can't condem them as a group though.

Originally posted by Pete

I'm sorry, I should have said that my wife is a senior systems anylist for the IS department. Mainframe stuff. She doesn't teach, but writes code and other stuff in the student area.

I know there exceptions on each side of the coin, some exceptionally good, exceptionally bad. I wouldn't say that the ones inbetween are bad teachers. Some I have met down right suck, and seem to hate kids:doh: Why they even bother is beyond me.

I just can't condem them as a group though.

Your wife sounds like she is too smart to be stuck teaching :)

You know exactly what I meant. If we are going to talk let's talk. I don't have time to beat around the bush by being PC.

No, you have time to practice what those on the right like to refer to as "class warfare".

You don't want a school to be able to keep track of their kids, because anybody who's working in a school is beneath you.

So back to the original topic. I have a 7, 8 and 1 year old. I deal with the fear of abduction every day. Having a way to track them would be great, But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the govenrment being able to track us. In our current political climate, there probably wouldn't be any harm. But none of us knows what the future holds. Something like this would start out voluntary, but you can bet it, once a few lives were saved, a law would be passed requiring it. I just think this is a huge slippery slope to giving up our personal freedom.

I just think this is a huge slippery slope to giving up our personal freedom.

Exactly.

What I find funny is that the majority of posters here complain that we have too much government in our lives as it is and yet these same people are more than willing to give up their privacy/freedom under the false pretense of being safer.

Archived