Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules for off-season training?

I'm curious about the NFL's rules for off-season training. It appears that players are welcome to work out full-time at a team's training facility (known as an off-season conditioning program, now quite popular among teams), but are highly restricted in the number, length and date of organized camp training.

Apparently nothing stops a player from reading the playbook or doing his own drills (wind sprints, agility, passing, whatever).

I'm curious exactly what crosses the line between "off-season conditioning" and a "camp." For example, say the Redskin QBs are "really good buddies" with each other and some of the WRs. Can they do their own workouts? Can Spurrier watch? Can Spurrier say, "Patrick, remember what I told you about holding the ball!"?

This just seems like a critical off-season for all these QBs and WRs to absorb and practice Spurrier's system, and the more organized and coordinated they can be about it, the better.

Geoff

I totally agree. I would love it if Spurrier could find time for some more 1 on 1 time with Ramsey and Sage. At the very least I think it would be helpful for them to work out occasionally with the receivers in the large gaps of time in between now and the next minicamp, and then until training camp begins. It would be a chance to become more familiar with the offense before the Japan Bowl, which will be a major coming out party.

Didn't Peyton Manning and Harrison used to get together in the offseasonand work on getting their timing down with plays out of their playbook?

Sage and or Ramsey probably will do the same next offseason once there is stability at QB and WR

Players can show up for "voluntary" workouts at the Park. And as many know, "voluntary" doesn't really mean "voluntary" in today's NFL. Though, Spurrier is treating it as such :). Ramsey can work out with any group of players he can get with on any given day. Spurrier can even coach him up a little. It's not like the NCAA when it's a violation during specific times for the coach to coach the player. In the NFL if anyone shows up to Redskin Park, they can be worked with, as far as I understand it. Now, I think if Spurrier started appearing with wide receivers and QBs on a daily basis or something the league might look into what was going on.

I don't fully appreciate the nuance of this rule though. I believe Spurrier can talk with and coach any player who asks him to at Redskin Park as long as that player is not "required" to be there.

Archived