Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Parting shot"

Ghost of

Originally posted by iheartskins

Another annoying one is the plural possessive...

Yes, that ties in with my whole apostrophe mania. It's EVERYWHERE.

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

I knew a girl who always said Pet "Pee" instead of Pet Peeve.

She also said pacific instead of specific.

What about "ax" instead of "ask"?

Here's one for the group: what do people feel about the predicate nominative? ("The person who stood up was I." "The taller of the two men was he." "Who are the criminals? Those are they!")

Pronoun usage is another one that galls me....

You and I went to the store NOT "you and me went to the store" -- you wouldn't say "me went to the store." Worse is when people say "This is a picture of John and I." No, it's a picture of John and me, because you wouldn't say "it's a picture of I." Also, people tend to get wrong (and myself included here on all of these,) when they say "She is older than me." That's actually wrong too, it's "She's older than I" as in "She's older than I am."

Then there's the old favorite of your v. you're or their v. there v. they're...

The quote above is from earlier in the thread.

I think the predicate nominative has come to sound stilted in our culture not unlike the much maligned subjunctive. I'm fine avoiding the predicate nominative in casual speech, but I try to ensure that I use it correctly when I use it in writing. As far as the subjunctive, I use it whenever I can. If I were to avoid it, I'd be selling myself short. ;)

In any case, SkinsNumberOne has it nailed as far as a good device to use the predicate nominative correctly.

How about the split infinitive? Does it bother anyone?

I hate to say it, but I recently studied grammar and all these terms still throw me off. I took tests on it! lol I still can't remember them.

I retain all kinds of information but for some reason all of these grammatical terms are whisked away in the night by the grammar demons.

I saw that you were going through a lot of my pet peeves, but I missed the "than" somehow. The two worst, because they are so freakishly common, are among the simplest. Just complete the sentence when you say "than" and it'll be clear; likewise, just replace "you and I" with "I" (or "me") to see which pronoun you should use. Or, you could just go with the simple hard and fast rule: the object of the preposition is (shocker) the OBJECT PRONOUN).

When I was dating this Ukrainian girl for a while, I noticed that she never misused the object of the preposition. She said that she would never make that mistake (and she never did over the 2+ years we dated), and she said it had to do with how Russian and Ukrainian are; she couldn't even think of using a subject pronoun there. So if that's a real problem for you, look for the Ukrainians.

It seems that you covered my main problems. I can't help but wince, albeit internally, when I hear those mistakes. I only correct them when I hear it like 3 or 4 times in a conversation or in a short period of time.

The quote above is from earlier in the thread.

I think the predicate nominative has come to sound stilted in our culture not unlike the much maligned subjunctive. I'm fine avoiding the predicate nominative in casual speech, but I try to ensure that I use it correctly when I use it in writing. As far as the subjunctive, I use it whenever I can. If I were to avoid it, I'd be selling myself short. ;)

In any case, SkinsNumberOne has it nailed as far as a good device to use the predicate nominative correctly.

How about the split infinitive? Does it bother anyone?

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

No. Stupid old rule, just like ending a sentence with a preposition. It's something I have no problem with. :)

"Galls me," right? Not "gauls me"?

I don't care about splitting the infinitive, but I don't like ending the sentence with a preposition. That's one I'll never bother correcting, though, because it somehow isn't as big of a deal to me as the other more common "mistakes" mentioned in this thread.

By WHOM. By WHOM.

Archived