Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any update on Coles' toe and possible surgery?

cscmtp

• 2 weeks later...

yeah... i spoke to his sister's housekeeper..... she said his sister told her that Coles had gotten frustrated two weeks ago while watching the Jets play in the playoffs and... in a act of desperation.... cut his big toe off with a hacksaw and then taped it up with 200-mph Nascar tape. Says he's ready for the minicamps to start. :paranoid:

Shoot as far as I'm concerned I was hoping that that was gonna be the first thing he did this offseason. I can't belive that he's still mulling it over. I had heard somewhere that that type of surgery took a long time to heal so I would hope that if he's going to do it that he'd do it real soon.

Originally posted by Jonathan

Ronnie Lott once had part of his finger amputated because he wanted to be able to play in a big game. This is no joke. A tough guy like Coles could just have his toe amputated - or just cut the foot off entirely and "go prosthetic."

;)

All joking aside, your big toe is a little more important than 1/3 of the tip of your pinkie finger (I've seen Lott show his finger).

Ronnie Lott once had part of his finger amputated because he wanted to be able to play in a big game. This is no joke. A tough guy like Coles could just have his toe amputated - or just cut the foot off entirely and "go prosthetic."

;)

except that it would be alot harder to walk let alone run:doh:

What I read (and no, I don't remember where) was that the specific surgery needed would remove a small bone from his big toe and that there was a chance he'd never fully recover from the procedure. I agree with thinker on this one: 80% is better than 0%. He was brought here to stretch the field, but served well this season as a possession receiver. If he skips the surgery, we let him fill that role and get another WR to stretch the field. Coles looked awfully good going across the middle this year, and held on to the ball after some monster shots. :2cents:

His top digit off his left pinky was amputated rather than take time off.

"The archetypal anecdote about Ronnie Lott recounts the time, late in the 1985 season, when doctors recommended surgery to repair the tip of his left pinky finger. The 49ers' star defensive back didn't want to miss any playing time in recuperation, so he chose a simpler procedure. He had the finger amputated above the third knuckle. He didn't miss a down."

http://www.nfl.com/insider/story/5853695

Originally posted by thinker

All joking aside, your big toe is a little more important than 1/3 of the tip of your pinkie finger (I've seen Lott show his finger).

I wasn't serious about amputating his toe. It's a good idea, but Coles lacks the toughness needed to make that call. So, I knew it wouldn't happen.

Again, I jest. ;)

If he doesn't get it operated on, however, I don't think Coles is good enough to be a starter. He had a lot of catches, but the ypc wasn't great and we need players to be able to stretch the field to take advantage of Ramsey's arm strength, and get defenses not to put all those players in the box to stop Portis.

I wasn't serious about amputating his toe. It's a good idea, but Coles lacks the toughness needed to make that call. So, I knew it wouldn't happen.

Again, I jest. ;)

If he doesn't get it operated on, however, I don't think Coles is good enough to be a starter. He had a lot of catches, but the ypc wasn't great and we need players to be able to stretch the field to take advantage of Ramsey's arm strength, and get defenses not to put all those players in the box to stop Portis.

Actually he does.. Coles is the same guy who dislocated his finger during a game this year and popped back into it's socket while standing on the sidelines with nary a word to anyone else on the team. The real problem with that theory is that it wouldn't work. That little bit of pinky wasn't nessecary for lott to play to his best ability. Coles on the other hand would be worse of without the toe.

I can't recall...

Has Coles shown blocking skills? By this I mean, could he be as good as Keyshawn in his prime...

going over the middle, opening up the deep ball for the burner on the other side, etc.?

If so...demote/cut Gardner and put McCants or Jacobs in to go deep!!!

I agree that Coles is a warrior and it is really painful to see him hobbled.

Archived