Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***Trotter's Contract #s***

Buddha

I look at this and think it is probably a 3 year contract.... maybe 4 but that is probably stretching it.

Most likely there will be escalators that will make it too cap-heavy by the 4th year that will force a renegotiation or a cut. And a cut at that point should cost around 4 million. Not a huge hit.

But overall, not bad at all for ProBowl MLB! 1.5, 2.5, & 3.7 million cap hits for the 1st 3 years.

Joe Mendes is kicked *** on this one.

and to carry it out further, if they are forced to release him, they will undoubtedly wait until June 1st, so the cap hits will be 1.5, 2.5, & 3.7 in the 3 years he plays, and the 1 mil in dead cap space in year 4 and 3 mil dead cap hit in year 5, and that is worst case scenario if they are forced to release him rather than re-negotiate, so at least they would have the flexibility to decide if they would rather take the brunt of the cap hit in year 4 or year 5.

Trotter is too young and too good not to be estatic over his signing. This contract is a little heavier on the front end than I thought, and, that's a good thing really. I think this will be easier than we think now to get the years out of him. The NFL will have a new contract with the networks soon enough, and, this type of deal may wind up being even more of a bargain for a 25-year-old two-time Pro Bowler than it appears right now.

I didn't realize how young Trotter actually is-- he won't turn 30 until January 2007! I suspect the contract was structured this way to ensure Trotter would play long into the deal as opposed to forcing a restructure midway through due to escalators. It is a good bet for Trotter that the Skins would actually keep him on in the 2005 season at age 28 for a base of $4.5 million and a $5.5 million cap number. By 2006 you could possibly be looking at adding a couple of seasons to the deal a la Sam Shade and Big Daddy, then guaranteeing all or a portion of that $5 million base and reducing 2007 and 2008 to more manageable numbers.

And remember-- we haven't even CONSIDERED the possibility of uncapped years at the back end of Trotter's deal. Factor that in, and he could finish out his deal without worries.

If he plays to form, continues to frequent the pro-bowl, and leads our defense like Rae Lewis .... then this is a a 5 Year contract.

In 5 years, the cap number is $6 Million. Think about that what that compares to in todays cap dollars. If the cap continues to expand at 7-8% per year, then in in 5 years, a $6 Million figure will seem like $4 Million today. I can certainly justify paying the Captain of our defense $4 Million today.

Archived