Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D'Pablo

An Epiphany!

Recommended Posts

It may not sound like much, but the reason our O-Line sucks on gameday is because they go against scrubs on the D-Line. Our O-Line has a lot more talent on that side of the ball, so they should be a lot better.

In the 80's, the hogs practiced against the likes of Manley and Mann. I'll bet that toughened them up. Have you noticed that our O-Line has underacheived ever since Marty left? When Marty was here, our D-Line consisted of a productive Bruce Smith, Dan Wilkinson, Marco Coleman, and Kenard Lang. All of those guys were first round talents. Chris Samuels played best when Bruce Smith was still productive and the same goes with Jansen and Coleman.

That said, our D-Line desperately needs a youth and talent infusion. I guarantee it will change the face of this team both on defense and offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall a quote from Samuels stating that he went against Smith in practice. It probably wasn't a regular occurence, but from what Samuels said, it made a difference.

WR and CB are skill player positions. You either have what it takes physically to play them or no amount of technique will make you better. Gardner just isn't talented enough to succeed. I laugh when people state that its because he isn't focused. The guy couldn't succeed against a scrub Cowboy corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it has more to do with individual talent at key positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't laugh the suggestion off ... it's one of many factors at play here. No way to know how much of one it is, but it shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.

Every year, we hear someone on a good team comment on how they're made better by going against someone really good on the other side of the ball every day in practice. Our DL, with the possible exception of C. Griffin, is not what you'd call an imposing unit. It's not hard to see how going against a stronger unit would force the OL to raise its level of play ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wonder if g williams is permitted to "unleash" his d on our o in practice. i've always heard that you should practice the way you play. if we were to practice against the number 2 d in the league every week in gametime situations, i'd venture that we'd be ready for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Stone Cold

i wonder if g williams is permitted to "unleash" his d on our o in practice. i've always heard that you should practice the way you play. if we were to practice against the number 2 d in the league every week in gametime situations, i'd venture that we'd be ready for anything.

If anyone read that Times article by Jody Foldsy about Gibbs' critics, one of the complaints was that he hasn't mastered the zone blitz. Thing is, Gregg Williams is a genius with the zone blitz, so it only makes sense that he unleash in practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Om

Don't laugh the suggestion off ... it's one of many factors at play here. No way to know how much of one it is, but it shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.

Every year, we hear someone on a good team comment on how they're made better by going against someone really good on the other side of the ball every day in practice. Our DL, with the possible exception of C. Griffin, is not what you'd call an imposing unit. It's not hard to see how going against a stronger unit would force the OL to raise its level of play ...

Freaking homers will grasp at any excuse.

Unbelievable.:doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by RF4L

Freaking homers will grasp at any excuse.

Unbelievable.:doh:

Freaking armchair critics wouldn't know a clue if it bit them in the ass.

Unbelievable. :doh:

Do yourself a favor, chief. Read up. The idea of getting better by practicing against better players in practice was covered in Chapter Two of Football for Dummies. Not to mention in about a million articles in sports pages across this great nation quoting any number of players saying just that for the last 20 years.

The light, man.

Walk towards the light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by D'Pablo

It may not sound like much, but the reason our O-Line sucks on gameday is because they go against scrubs on the D-Line. Our O-Line has a lot more talent on that side of the ball, so they should be a lot better.

In the 80's, the hogs practiced against the likes of Manley and Mann. I'll bet that toughened them up. Have you noticed that our O-Line has underacheived ever since Marty left? When Marty was here, our D-Line consisted of a productive Bruce Smith, Dan Wilkinson, Marco Coleman, and Kenard Lang. All of those guys were first round talents. Chris Samuels played best when Bruce Smith was still productive and the same goes with Jansen and Coleman.

That said, our D-Line desperately needs a youth and talent infusion. I guarantee it will change the face of this team both on defense and offense.

Watching too much of Doc Walkers Proview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.