Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Brunell have us by the Nads?

alaadin123

Interesting scenario, we want to get rid of Brunell but we cant afford to. Believe it or not but Brunell still has hopes of being our starting QB again and you keep hearing Gibbs say that Brunells chapter here is not over yet. As scary as it sounds, Brunell has leverage on the team " You cant cut me, Ill cost you too much money for that, I admit I haven't played any where near worth over 40 million but I may be willing to take a pay cut and help the team free up some cap space for people like Smoot and Pierce and that horrific offensive line, but I want to be the starter next year in exchange". Is that an offer we cant refuse??? Im talking a significant pay cut here one that could free up some much needed money! Otherwise, he could sit on the bench take no pay cut and still make more than 90% of our starters.

Originally posted by Mittens

We'll cut him and take the hit before he blackmails the team. If I were Snyder I'd rather have "dead money" on my cap then to actually pay the money to someone who is not worth it. Dead money is still money in Snyder's pocket, but he cannot spend it on other players.

That brings up an interesting question...How much do you all think our team payroll would be if there weren't any cap?? I'd say $150 range to be "safe"

Originally posted by Mittens

We'll cut him and take the hit before he blackmails the team. If I were Snyder I'd rather have "dead money" on my cap then to actually pay the money to someone who is not worth it. Dead money is still money in Snyder's pocket, but he cannot spend it on other players.

we'll probably cut him after next season, that way he only takes up 6-7 million of cap room.

it may be more about Gibbs keeping Brunell around to keep himself from looking like the fool who spent waaaaaaaay too much money on a washed up bum, just use him for anything he can, be it mentoring, molding, or gettin freekin gatorade for people who are actually playing.

Even if he takes a pay-cut, we'd probably only get around 1/2 million max (his salary is 1.5M). Of course, at the margin that may let us keep/sign someone.

Oops, didn't see it, but he is due a roster bonus this year of 500K, so maybe we can get him to cut his compensation significantly though that small of a roster bonus seems designed to make the 'Skins fish or cut bait.

Originally posted by alaadin123

it may be more about Gibbs keeping Brunell around to keep himself from looking like the fool who spent waaaaaaaay too much money on a washed up bum, just use him for anything he can, be it mentoring, molding, or gettin freekin gatorade for people who are actually playing.

:doh:

Brunell is an experience Veteran, and an assest to Ramsey. Much of his problem early were not all his fault, and while he looked terrible.... with improvments in the offense, if needed to play I am sure he will be more than capable.

Gibbs has said the job belongs to PR, and that Brunell understands his role as backup and mentor

Why would anybody take a huge paycut to start? Back-up QB is the best position in football and making starter pay makes it even better. I would think that a more probable problem would be Mark threatening to retire! This would accerlerate his guaranteed moey and cause cap issues in 2005.

Originally posted by TLusby

Why would anybody take a huge paycut to start? Back-up QB is the best position in football and making starter pay makes it even better. I would think that a more probable problem would be Mark threatening to retire! This would accerlerate his guaranteed moey and cause cap issues in 2005.

Its called being a competitor, at this point, Brunell is filthy stinkin rich, why do you think he himself said he would talk restructure if necessary

There is no inexpensive way to get rid of Brunell, obviously nobody would want him in a trade, and he makes too much to not be starting which clearly he can't do. So you just have to see which option will hurt the least.

Maybe we could get an 8th rounder for him from Miami.

Oh.........

yeah, right - they don't have that anymore! :D

Originally posted by bubba9497

Brunell is an experience Veteran, and an assest to Ramsey. Much of his problem early were not all his fault, and while he looked terrible.... with improvments in the offense, if needed to play I am sure he will be more than capable.

Gibbs has said the job belongs to PR, and that Brunell understands his role as backup and mentor

Bubba, are you high? We dont need a 40million dollar Ramsey cheerleader...too expensive. It doesn't matter what the offense looks like, thats not going to make Brunell's shot elbow any better. It would be very interesting to see who Gibbs would put in if Ramsey got injured.

Originally posted by bubba9497

Amazing threads today! :rolleyes:

Bubba, are you high? We dont need a 40million dollar Ramsey cheerleader...too expensive. It doesn't matter what the offense looks like, thats not going to make Brunell's shot elbow any better. It would be very interesting to see who Gibbs would put in if Ramsey got injured.

Brunell will go in if Ramsey were injured.

Just my opinion, but if Brunell's problems were because his elbow is shot, the Redskins and Brunell would have ended this relationship already. It does neither side any good to continue if he weren't able to throw because of his elbow.

Originally posted by skinsnatsfan

Brunell will go in if Ramsey were injured.

Just my opinion, but if Brunell's problems were because his elbow is shot, the Redskins and Brunell would have ended this relationship already. It does neither side any good to continue if he weren't able to throw because of his elbow.

You know BMitch said that Brunell was asked if he felt ok, was there anything ailing him and Brunell said No, I feel the best I have in the last 5 yrs. I guess He didnt relize a bone when he saw it because by saying he feels fine but playing the way he did just means that what we saw of Brunell really was his "A" game....now thats spooky, a healthy guy who feels great and still cant throw for 100 yds in several of his games.

Archived