Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP EMAIL: Healthy Royal Can Find the End Zone

bubba9497

Healthy Royal Can Find the End Zone

Before training camp in late July, tight end Robert Royal watched the 2000 thriller "Unbreakable," one of his favorite movies. Since joining the NFL in 2002, Royal had the Redskins's equivalent of Samuel L. Jackson, the movie's main character who has brittle bones that make it impossible to stay healthy. But this season, Royal has done the impossible, staying healthy a full season for the first time since being selected in the fifth round out of LSU. Royal moved into the starting lineup after Washington released Walter Rasby earlier in the season, and has started nine games of his 13 games.

"There's always things I can improve on, but I think I've done a good job," Royal said. "I just want to thank God I've been able to stay healthy. . . . Everything has been working out in my favor. And hopefully things will continue to stay in that direction."

The Redskins were enticed by Royal's pass-catching and athleticism. But because Royal's first two seasons were cut short by freak injuries on minimal contact, the 6-foot-4, 257-pounder was dogged by questions regarding his durability. Royal has responded with three touchdowns on only seven receptions.

"It just so happens, it seems like every time they called the play I get open in the end zone," Royal said. "It's just coincidence."

Royal's touchdowns -- third-most on the team -- have allowed him to do elaborate dancing in the end zone. His most popular post-touchdown celebration is the "Tootsie Roll" -- an inside joke he declines to make public -- but the tight end has several other moves ready for upcoming scores. "I got a few more left," Royal said. "Hopefully, I'll get one this weekend."

The Redskins drafted Royal with coach Steve Spurrier's pass-oriented offense in mind. In 2002, Royal spent his rookie season on the injured reserve list after suffering a high left ankle sprain during the preseason finale. Royal had been slated as a starter that year after Rasby sprained an ankle and missed the first several weeks of the season.

In 2003, the Redskins didn't re-sign Rasby largely because the club viewed Royal as his replacement. And Royal won a competition against Zeron Flemister to become a starter. In the first six games, Royal caught five passes for 48 yards while contributing on special teams.

But Royal suffered a freak accident on Oct 12 during a 35-13 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Royal was trying to block defensive end Simeon Rice by redirecting his path to quarterback Patrick Ramsey. After Royal turned his body, he fell to the ground in pain with a fractured hip. While Royal was recuperating from the injury, he was forced to undergo an appendectomy.

But this season, with 11 Redskins placed on the injured reserve list, Royal has proven that he can be unbreakable.

Redskins Notes: Rookie cornerback Garnell Wilds spent most of the season on the practice squad, and played for the first time this season late during Washington's Dec. 18 victory over the 49ers. Because of injuries, he is expected to see his most time against Minnesota's receivers. "This is a great challenge because of the receivers and offense weren't playing against," said Wilds, a Virginia Tech product. "This game means a lot to them so they're going to be giving their best effort. And me personally, this is my first chance to show what I can do." Against Randy Moss? "I think it's motivation, actually. Everybody wants to see how they match up against the best. I'm really not the type to get intimidated."

-- Nunyo Demasio

Archived