Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paul Woody: Gibbs confident in Skins' skills

bubba9497

Gibbs confident in Skins' skills

Washington's subpar year was just few plays from a playoff berth

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Dec 28, 2004

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779889179&path=%21sports%21redskins&s=1045855935462

The question came and Joe Gibbs answered as you would expect the coach, and chief optimist, of the Washington Redskins to answer.

Are the Redskins close to being a good team?

"I think we're close for this reason: The players wouldn't be playing the way they are if they didn't think we were close," Gibbs said.

"Up here, you don't have to guess. You saw how we matched up with Pittsburgh, with Philly twice. We've played some real good football teams, and the matchups say it is close. We've been close in the fourth quarter, we just haven't been able to win those games."

The Redskins lost to the Steelers in Pittsburgh 16-7. They lost at home to Philadelphia 17-14. The Steelers (14-1) have the No.1 seed in the AFC. The Eagles have the No.1 seed in the NFC.

The Redskins are 5-10 heading into the season finale Sunday at home against Minnesota. Last season, the Redskins finished 5-11 under the direction of Steve Spurrier.

As the Redskins headed into their season finale in 2003, against Philadelphia, Spurrier got the "Are you close to being good?" question.

Spurrier was not quite as optimistic as Gibbs. That's one reason Gibbs is back as the Redskins coach, and Spurrier is now the head coach at the University of South Carolina.

There is precedent for Gibbs' optimism concerning a dramatic turnaround after such a season.

In 2002, the Dallas Cowboys were 5-11. Bill Parcells arrived to run the team in 2003, and the Cowboys went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

On the other hand, Cleveland was 9-7 and a playoff team in 2002 and finished 5-11 in 2003.

In the NFL, being close doesn't quite make it. Winning is all that matters.

"I think the best part about this season is the lessons our team is going to learn," Gibbs said. "We're going to learn about finishing the game and not turning the ball over. When you've been in football, and it's your life, you've got to understand that it's never over until it's over."

Gibbs was referring to the last-second loss to the Cowboys on Sunday. The Cowboys managed to put together a 75-yard drive and scored the winning touchdown in 55 seconds, despite having no timeouts.

The Cowboys scored on a 39-yard pass play from quarterback Vinny Testaverde to rookie wide receiver Patrick Crayton with 30 seconds left in the game and won 13-10.

The Redskins were short-handed at cornerback on that last Dallas drive because a starter, Fred Smoot, and a backup, Ade Jimoh, were sidelined with injuries.

The team was seriously concerned about Smoot after the game, but the news was good yesterday. Smoot has a bruised kidney, not, as some feared, a lacerated kidney. Smoot has not been ruled out of Sunday's game, but seems unlikely to play.

Redskins running back Clinton Portis has a bruised shoulder and sternum, and his status for Sunday is uncertain as well.

"I'm not a 'luck' or a 'break' guy," Gibbs said. "I think you make your luck. Why that play happened, I have no clue.

"Maybe this is one of the lessons that will be carried over when we get things going back our way."

Dallas wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson pointed out one lesson that Redskins rookie free safety Sean Taylor needs to learn.

Taylor failed to get over and cover Crayton on that touchdown play.

"Taylor was more worried with what I was doing the whole game," Johnson said. "He tried to make the hit instead of making the play. When young guys lose their focus and worry about one player, that type of thing happens."

Gibbs reiterated that no one play cost the Redskins the game.

"All of us have a part in it," Gibbs said.

NOTABLE - Gibbs faced Reggie White a number of times when White played defensive end for the Eagles. White later became one of Gibbs' neighbors in Charlotte, N.C.

White died Sunday at the age of 43.

"He's one of the greatest players that's ever played," Gibbs said. "After football, we got into a relationship in racing. He wanted to be in NASCAR, and we had a minority program that he was involved in.

"He came to Bible studies for our [racing] team. He had an impact on so many people. What he's done for the Lord would be hard to put in words. He was a great leader and a great person. We're going to miss him."

Originally posted by bubba9497

...Dallas wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson pointed out one lesson that Redskins rookie free safety Sean Taylor needs to learn.

Taylor failed to get over and cover Crayton on that touchdown play.

"Taylor was more worried with what I was doing the whole game," Johnson said. "He tried to make the hit instead of making the play. When young guys lose their focus and worry about one player, that type of thing happens."...

Man that really burns my arse that MeShawn is in a position to make this statement (even though it's kind of true). D*mn I hate this guy... :mad:

Originally posted by Mackydootz

Man that really burns my arse that MeShawn is in a position to make this statement (even though it's kind of true). D*mn I hate this guy... :mad:

I wonder if word of this will get back to Taylor ( I'm sure it will). My guess is it's probably true since Taylor and MeShawn were jawing the whole game. But, as Greg Williams said in the preseason, Taylor needs to be humbled at the professional level and I bet he doesn't make the same mistake again.

What was Parcell's record his 1st year back with the Pats? how about the Jets?

I think people were expecting a lot, really fast......myself included.

The most important thing here is to finally stay the course. Give this system another full season before it really has a chance to do something.

Next year isn't going to be a picnic either.

Know this.

As much as I dislike Keyshawn, he's definitely right. Taylor started going after him early in the game, and didn't let up. It cost us 6 points (notice I didn't say it cost us the game, b/cuz I can't blame the defense for the loss when our offense was totally enemic).

Hopefully he matures. Right now, he's a bit of a loose cannon. He could've been called for a late hit when Meshawn caught the ball out of bounds on that deep route (not sure if anyone remembers that play). Taylor needs discipline, or he's going to get penalized a LOT.

Originally posted by herrmag

As much as I dislike Keyshawn, he's definitely right. Taylor started going after him early in the game, and didn't let up. It cost us 6 points (notice I didn't say it cost us the game, b/cuz I can't blame the defense for the loss when our offense was totally enemic).

Hopefully he matures. Right now, he's a bit of a loose cannon. He could've been called for a late hit when Meshawn caught the ball out of bounds on that deep route (not sure if anyone remembers that play). Taylor needs discipline, or he's going to get penalized a LOT.

Taylor also saved us 6 points with his forced fumbled in the red zone.

"Taylor was more worried with what I was doing the whole game," Johnson said. "He tried to make the hit instead of making the play. When young guys lose their focus and worry about one player, that type of thing happens."

Even if that is true, Keyshawn is about the only player in the world that would try to make this about him. Well, maybe not the only player, his cousin springs to mind as another that might say something similar.

It just shows his lack of good taste.

Archived