Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Pro Bowl snubs are bothersome

bubba9497

Pro Bowl snubs are bothersome

By Matt Bowen

http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20041228-113218-8714r

I have to admit I was pretty upset when the Pro Bowl rosters came out last week. Words came out of my mouth that would have landed me straight in detention if I had said them back in my Catholic school days.

One Redskins player? That's it?

You have to be kidding me, right?

Well, to my amazement, I realized what I have suspected for years to be true: Pro Bowl voting is biased and corrupt.

Marcus Washington was a great selection, more deserving than anyone else making the trip, but what happened to his teammates?

I know what you're thinking -- I'm just saying this stuff because they're my teammates. That might have a little bit to do with it, but these guys are great football players. There's no question they should be going to Hawaii.

Sure, we haven't won as many games as we wanted to this year, but a great player should be recognized for his production on the field. I'm the biggest supporter of team sports, and this is the ultimate team sport, but guys who make plays week in and week out should be buying suntan lotion for February.

I know there are Pro Bowl snubs every year, and I'm not the only one who complains about it. I know the fans do, too.

Look, we have the second-best defense in the NFL. We have a running back who was headed for 1,500 yards before an injury and a receiver with more than 80 catches.

"Playmakers" is a better word -- guys who play with injuries week in and week out and still produce week in and week out. Their names are always at the top of the stat chart. For some reason, they were passed over.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to start a controversy. I just honestly believe there are players on this team who deserve to go to Hawaii.

A lot of the players from other teams going to Hawaii are deserving, but I just think too many at Redskin Park got left out this year.

I'll watch the game just to see Marcus play, but if he wasn't in it, I'd rather go shopping at the mall the day after Christmas with a bunch of crying kids.

I'm a member of the Washington Redskins, and I'm going to support my teammates, whether it's in this Pro Bowl heist or any other venture. I know it won't make a bit of difference what I write in this column. I just want Redskins fans to know I share the same sentiments that you do. Our guys were robbed.

Archived