Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting quote from Pro Football Weekly

The Dark Horse

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

Marty the GM would have helped keep Marty the HC out of the big dance here.

DING DING DING! We have a winnaaaa!

How is it folks forget so quickly?

Snyder asked marty the COACH to stay, but to give up some of the GM duties.

Mr Ego wouldn't hear anything of it,, and quit when his GMship was taken from him.

Oh yes, the Redskins would certainly be in the playoffs because we have a running back like Tomlinson that Marty inherited... we have a highly touted QB prospect (which brees was) for Marty to work with.

I think their names were,, umm Jeff George,,, no , Tony BANKS.... my fault,,, the George fiasco worked so well we were reduced to praying that Tony BANKS would learn enough of the offense in week 3 to turn it around... and .. the oft-injured Stephen Davis.

Sorry.. Marty's no Hall of Fame coach... win one then we'll talk... MAKE it there once, maybe we can think about it...And sorry again, with the personel moves Marty made in his season here (the obvious QB mess mentioned above,, trying to shove Darrel Green out the door because he felt Green would challenge his AUTHORITY..? among other things.. ) I have no faith that he would have done it any different had he been given ten years to do it in. When Marty was here he went power mad.. we all saw it. He stopped being a teacher and became a Patton-like disciplinarian. The Army has a word for the way Marty ran things here... they call it "Chicken Sh*t".

This is a load of "see I told you so" from someone who likely didn't tell anyone anything.

The one Schottenheimer that made a difference was his brother Kurt, who coached the defense into being respectable. I'd liked to have kept him.

~Bang

"the Redskins would certainly be in the playoffs because we have a running back like Tomlinson that Marty inherited... we have a highly touted QB prospect (which brees was) for Marty to work with."

Allow me to throw these names out. Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, Cade McNown.

These guys were more touted than Brees, and up until this season, Brees was in that group. Otherwise, why would San Diego bust their nut at a position they already had a good candidate?

Davis was so injury prone under Marty that he put up over 1400 yards.

So I'm not sure I'm exactly buying your arguement.

Marty decimated our roster - the reason why we had $12M in cap room going into the 2001 season after Dan's free agent spending spree in 2000 - and we still finished better with Banks at the healm than we did the last three seasons.

I'm not making the arguement that Marty was a good GM, I'm making the arguement that he didn't have enough time in that role for anyone to come to a clear conclusion.

Archived