Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting quote from Pro Football Weekly

The Dark Horse

I was thumbing through the 'Audibles' section of the Dec. 20th Pro Football Weekly and found this interesting snippet. 'Audibles' is a section of anonymous quotes to PFW by NFL scouts, coaches, and front office personel.

"Marty Schottenheimer is a Hall of Fame coach. I don't even question that. I know one regret Daniel Snyder had for a time was that Marty got away. On the surface, it was hard to question. But Marty's last team was 8-8, and they felt like they were getting there. They had $12 million under the salary cap, and Jake Delhomme was their No. 1 offseason priority. He's always been a winner, always built winners"

Schottenheimer is NOT HOF material. Give me a friggin' break. His playoff record is 2-7 in the pathetic days of the AFC. His record is grossly inflated by the fact that his entire tenure was always in the worst division in the league. This guy couldn't win with Montana and Marcus Allen in the backfield. Watch, San Diego will lose in the first round.

I guess people have already forgotten how pitiful Marty's first two seasons with San Diego were. Sorry, but not many HOF coaches have presided over such miserable teams that put out such minimal effort. Before this season, San Diego looked as listless as you could possibly get. I'm not ready to start worshipping at his shrine just yet. But I am impressed with his more conciliatory attitude towards modernizing his offense, something he seemingly refused to consider here. Let's hope Gibbs takes a page out of his book.

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

I guess people have already forgotten how pitiful Marty's first two seasons with San Diego were. Sorry, but not many HOF coaches have presided over such miserable teams that put out such minimal effort. Before this season, San Diego looked as listless as you could possibly get. I'm not ready to start worshipping at his shrine just yet. But I am impressed with his more conciliatory attitude towards modernizing his offense, something he seemingly refused to consider here. Let's hope Gibbs takes a page out of his book.

While San Diego was a pitiful team in 2003 with a 4-12 record, they did finish 8-8 in Marty's first season, which isn't exactly pitiful.

It doesn't hurt to modernize your offense when you have two premier players on the offensive side of the football in Tomlinson and Gates. It's hard to believe that Gates was an undrafted free agent who played college basketball when he was in school, and is now arguably one of the best TE's in the league. They have also got a great effort from a revamped offensive line with 5 new starters.

Say what you want about Marty, but he is a good coach.

I think we would have already been in the playoffs had Marty stayed...how deep would we have gone I don't know? Probably not far with the like of Tony Banks...but we would have been there I believe.

That being said...he's no where near HOF material. As Riggotoni already pointed out, most of his success came in a very weak division.

...we're a lot better off now though... :)

Marty's no Joe but he is a good coach. The main point is , like most coaches, he needs a few years to built his team and install his system.

That's something we haven't done for a while.

Joe on the other hand is a HOF coach. Let's see what we look like after a couple of years of Joe building his team and system....

GO Joe...Go Skins.:dallasuck :point2sky

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

Is it him or the players around him. Brees & Gates for instance have added more than their share to the W column? I'm no expert on them, but i wonder how much of this is because San Diego finally has a QB that is playing well.

Umm, are we jocking Marty Ball that has never won the big game. Hindsight is 20/20. We probably would have been a playoff team had he stuck around, but he didn't. Remember its taken Marty 3 years to build Sandiego. Yea, he did go 8 and 8 his first year but I seem to remember they lost 7 of their last 8 games that year and had a cupcake schedule to start the season. The past is the past and Joe Gibbs is the present and future. Good things will come again, I promise!!!!!!!!!!

It takes time to build a winner!!!! A Joe Gibbs product will never go out a loser!!!

joe_gibbs_productions.jpg

I wouldnt have minded keeping Marty around, he is another disciplinarian type coach, and didnt have to deal with being out of the league 13 years like Gibbs had to. Plus, to take us from 0-5 to 8-8 is impressive.

I never heard of them eyeing Delhomme, but with Snyder's paycheck, Delhomme woulda been the qb for us right now. Gardner was drafted by Marty, I wonder who are other receivers would be right now though.

Soo many what ifs really, who will ever know, but we have Gibbs now, and hopefully he is poised to turn this train around the way Marty was poised before.

Originally posted by The Dark Horse

"Marty Schottenheimer is a Hall of Fame coach. I don't even question that. I know one regret Daniel Snyder had for a time was that Marty got away. On the surface, it was hard to question. But Marty's last team was 8-8, and they felt like they were getting there. They had $12 million under the salary cap, and Jake Delhomme was their No. 1 offseason priority. He's always been a winner, always built winners"

What leads this commentator to think that Marty "got away" from Dan -- it's more like Dan pushed him out the door -- as I recall, Marty vigorously pleaded his case to remain with the Skins, but Dan said See Ya! -- also, Dan seems like the sort of proud person who would never own up to regretting the decision to toss Marty

Archived