Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

C. Samuels & agent re-negotiating deal

TheBig_E

This is crazy. We finally get the guy to restructure and the first thing ya'll want to do is ship him out for draft picks. Look, it's the interior line that needs help, and we need to do as little overhaul as possible. Give Sameuls another year under Bugel, this time with Jansen and a better o-line to work with. The main knock on him is that he's non-pro bowl player getting paid like a probowler. Well, if he's not getting paid like a probowler, let him be. LOL at thinking we can get Walter Jones tho.

Originally posted by Akhhorus

I would consider moving him or Jansen to LT or move Turley to Guard. Turley is healthy(according to the St Louis Press). Also Turley's contract is good. He signed a 5 year contract before the 2003 season worth 26.5 million(12.5 in bonus that the skins wouldnt pay). So, QED, we would be on the hook for him: 3 years, 9-10 million bucks. Cheap, and good. Turley would be 30 before the 2005 season also.

I was thinking more in terms of signing Jones and trading Samuels for Turley (if we could afford both). Jones is a natural left tackle, and Turley and Jansen have always played on the right side...or did Turley move from left to right when the Saints drafted Roaf? Can't remember now...either way, Jones from what I understand is the best pass protector of the three. Trading for Turley would also provide us insurance in case Jansen was slow to recover from his achilles injury...

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

Walter Jones is an UFA this coming offseason whom Seattle has already stated it will not franchise again. We'd only need to do a sign and trade deal with St. Louis.

Only a sign and trade? Big only there, Gilgamesh.

And what makes you so sure St. Louis wants to deal for a big, sorry, huge, contract on an iffy left tackle?

Originally posted by Renegade7

This is crazy. We finally get the guy to restructure and the first thing ya'll want to do is ship him out for draft picks. Look, it's the interior line that needs help, and we need to do as little overhaul as possible. Give Sameuls another year under Bugel, this time with Jansen and a better o-line to work with. The main knock on him is that he's non-pro bowl player getting paid like a probowler. Well, if he's not getting paid like a probowler, let him be. LOL at thinking we can get Walter Jones tho.

Other than our potential cap space problems, what makes you think we can't get him? :D

Originally posted by mookie0720

LOL you guys are out of your minds if you think we are going to end up with Walter Jones. He's one of the best tackles in football his price tag would be HUGE!

This is true, but he can't cost a whole lot more than Samuels has. And he's double the player Samuels is.

Thanks for the reality check, Renegade. Just because Walter Jones MIGHT, and I reiterate MIGHT, be there doesn't mean we should take on a 7 year contract with a $20 million-plus signing bonus for a player.

Seriously, getting Walter Jones would entail this:

a) Cutting Chris Samuels (huge cap hit) and signing Walter Jones (huge, huge, huge contract).

B) Speniding a lot of time and effort renegotiating a deal for Samuels and then finding a good deal for him and then trading him (take a big cap hit with a trade) and then signing Jones for a grotesque amount of money.

You want to talk about cap hell? You're probably the same people who want to spend our '05 cap on Jerry Porter and draft Mike Williams, too. I can't believe I'm actually warranting this nonsense with long winded responses.

I was thinking more in terms of signing Jones and trading Samuels for Turley (if we could afford both). Jones is a natural left tackle, and Turley and Jansen have always played on the right side...or did Turley move from left to right when the Saints drafted Roaf? Can't remember now...either way, Jones from what I understand is the best pass protector of the three. Trading for Turley would also provide us insurance in case Jansen was slow to recover from his achilles injury...

Unbelievable. :thud:

Originally posted by TODD

Only a sign and trade? Big only there, Gilgamesh.

And what makes you so sure St. Louis wants to deal for a big, sorry, huge, contract on an iffy left tackle?

Actually, they would move him to iffy right tackle to replace Turley as they are set on the left side with Pace. :D "Just speculating about a hypothesis." Realisiticly though, it would have to be to a team with lots of cap room to spare. No sign and trade needed then.

You want to talk about cap hell? You're probably the same people who want to spend our '05 cap on Jerry Porter and draft Mike Williams, too. I can't believe I'm actually warranting this nonsense with long winded responses.

no, that would be stupid. You have Coles, so you only need one WR. Porter isnt going anywhere except to Tampa.

And before you say getting Walter Jones is unrealistic, what if I had told you at this point last season that the Skins would get Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor and that Spurrier would quit and Joe Gibbs would replace him. And that the Skins would have the #2 defense in the league. You'd have me locked up in the looney bin last year for saying all that crap. Is Jones likely? Probably not. Is it possible? of course. The Left tackle position is something that needs to be addressed: either by extending Samuels or by replacing him.

Other than our potential cap space problems, what makes you think we can't get him? :D

No doubt we can get him if we wanted to. All we need is a black ski mask and some hand guns and it should be no problem robbing Seattle of probably the best LT in the leauge. We could if we wanted to, but it isn't neccessary. Why? You just said it, potential cap space problems.

Thanks for the reality check, Renegade. Just because Walter Jones MIGHT, and I reiterate MIGHT, be there doesn't mean we should take on a 7 year contract with a $20 million-plus signing bonus for a player.

Seriously, getting Walter Jones would entail this:

a) Cutting Chris Samuels (huge cap hit) and signing Walter Jones (huge, huge, huge contract).

B) Speniding a lot of time and effort renegotiating a deal for Samuels and then finding a good deal for him and then trading him (take a big cap hit with a trade) and then signing Jones for a grotesque amount of money.

Indeed, much of it may be nonsense, but so is paying an "iffy" left tackle anything Sexton will ask for. If negotiations go poorly, we should start trying to get something...anything, for him. If we trade or release Samuels in 2005 we would take a 2005 dead cap hit of $4.426m - which means we would save over $7.4m against the 2005 cap. That's bad, but not cap breaking, and with a number of other players on offense and some 2004 dead money coming off the books, we way not be as far away from a big time free agent signing as you might think. Whether it's wise to spend that kind of cash on a 31 year old left tackle is another matter.

I would also never spend a 1st round pick on a WR, or trade for a locker room cancer like Porter. That kind of nonsensical talk must have come from some other Babylonian king...

No doubt we can get him if we wanted to. All we need is a black ski mask and some hand guns and it should be no problem robbing Seattle of probably the best LT in the leauge. We could if we wanted to, but it isn't neccessary. Why? You just said it, potential cap space problems.

its about 50/50 that Seattle keeps him: Shaun Alexander and Hasselback are UFAs, and they are probably the priority.

I think you guys can forget about Turley, who is thinking about retiring because of his back problems and probable surgery. No one is going to trade for a player with back problems. A knee problem is bad enough, but a back problem is a whole new ball game -- remember Daryl Gardener?

As for Samuels, I thought he played much better this year. Remember he started off the 1st game and shutout Simeon Rice with no sacks. Then his play declined a little bit when he injured his ankle again.

Samuels problem seems to be his ankles every year. There was mention he may need some ankle surgery in the off season. So maybe after surgery he returns to all pro form.

You may want to read the following article before thinking about acquiring Turley.

From the article: "Turley's playing weight is listed as 309 pounds, about average for an NFL offensive lineman, but he has shrunk to about 240 pounds since the injury. He said in August that he lost about 30 pounds due to forced inactivity following the surgery."

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3282042

Archived