Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Week 14 picks from THE Friday Football Fanatic

Rocky21

Big big time at the Skins/ Giants game. No need to go into specifics, because I may change my mind and run for public office some day, but a good time was had by all. It was confusing to the Redskin Faithful when the home team drove 93 yards down the field and scored 7 on their opening drive. The Skins limited the G Men to 145 total yards, blocked a punt and threw a shuttle pass for a score!?! Good times. My buddy Kluttz was supposed to lay our bets but his guy was outta town so they never were placed. I’m glad they never got made because I picked the Falcons on the road in Tampa getting a point and a half. Remember how that one turned out? If we had made that bet you wouldn’t be reading this because I would still be in Georgia planning Michael Vick’s “accident.” Typing from a cornfield in the middle of Hanover County, I am THE Friday Football Fanatic and these are my picks:

Chicago at Jacksonville (-7.5): Good news, bad news on this one. Good news for Bears fans is the Chad Hutchison Era opens with a 1-0 start. Bad news for the rest of us because we have to wait at least another week before Jeff George can start to divide the locker room. Pick: Bears.

Detroit at Green Bay (-9.5): VT alum Kevin Jones finally pays dividends with a buck ninety six rushing and a touchdown last week. It took TV announcer turned GM Matt Millen a little longer than every sports fan in America to determine that a little less Joey Harrington is a good thing. Pick: Lions.

Indianapolis (-10.5) at Houston: I still wholeheartedly, unequivocally believe in this Colts offense. They have scored 40+ points five weeks in a row. Read that last sentence again. The Colts signed Martin Gramatica this week to kick off. Apparently the Colts are in the end zone so much Vanderjagt’s leg is getting tired from all the kicking off after scoring.

Pick: Colts.

New Orleans at Dallas (-7): I know Parcells is trying to change the image of this troubled franchise but I’m afraid a lot of us remember Cowboys like DL Leon Lett, with five violations of the NFL substance abuse policy and suspensions totaling over twenty games, and two of the biggest bonehead plays in the storied history of the National Football League. No Leon No! Pick: Saints.

N.J. Giants at Baltimore (-10): The Ravens had a chance to distance themselves from the pack in the crowded AFC playoff picture. How’d they do? The Ravens’ D gave up 24 points to the Bengals in the 4th quarter and Cincinnati beat a team with a winning record on the road for the first time in 14 years. Oh boy. I’ll have to hand it to ‘em. In the stadium the strings really aren’t that visible. Plus I can’t see Archie’s lips move when Eli calls the plays. Pick: Ravens.

Oakland at Atlanta (-7.5): When you’re down to former point guards at receiver and then they’re out for the year, do you think that will affect your passing game? On the other hand, the Falcons’ RB, er I mean QB, threw 2 INT’s, took 5 sacks and fumbled twice. Not exactly running on all cylinders. The Falcons were shut out by a team with a losing record filled with NFL rejects. (Brian Griese to Joey Galloway?) Good grief.

Pick: Falcons.

Miami at Denver (-11): You have to understand. I’m a little sad here in the cornfield. This is normally the time of year when I make my usual holiday joke. You know, the one about Miami’s annual December collapse being just like Chanukah. Nobody ever knows exactly when it starts, just that it happens sometime in December and it's a traditional occasion for celebration and glee. And either way, Jay Fiedler is involved. But this year Fiedler is hurt and the collapse started in week 1. I don’t know if I can truly enjoy the holidays but I’ll soldier on as best I can. BTW – Incredibly dirty helmet to helmet hit last week by the perennially overrated John Lynch. Expect a fine.

Pick: Broncos.

San Francisco at Arizona (-6.5): Denny Green starts a rookie QB, has him throw 40 passes in his first game in the league and the Cards lose? Wow, never saw that one coming. Seriously, is he throwing these games to pay off a bookie? Is he on medication? Start stockpiling water, batteries and canned goods and prepare for the apocalypse because 2 of the 32 starting QB’s in the NFL this week are the McClown brothers, Luke and Josh. This is not a joke. Seriously, Luke and Josh McCown. Pick: Cards.

St. Louis at Carolina (-6.5): I don't know who keeps picking DeShaun Foster for their fantasy team. But whoever you are,

I'm laughing at you. Pick: Panthers.

Philadelphia (-9) at Washington: Holy Roger Craig Batman. What got into Brian Westbrook last weekend? 11 catches for 156 yards and 3 touchdowns. Wow! I’m really enjoying the working out with Presidents series of commercials with Donovan McNugget. I can’t wait to see him throwing a bullet over the middle to Thomas Jefferson, doing crunches with John Adams (that guy needs to do a few) and pushing a blocking sled with George Washington. Pick: Redskins.

From Footballguys.com "Is the correct term for the short forward pass the A) Shuttle Pass, B) Shuffle Pass, or C) Shovel Pass?

Truth be told, I'm not sure there is a correct answer. I tend to think it's kind of like the words to "Louie, Louie". Everyone acts like they know and just sort of mumbles along but the reality is that nobody has a clue."

Archived