Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strategy question

grimreaper36

I don't understand the logic frequently stated, that if we fall behind by a couple scores, we have to abandon the running game. In my opinion that is all the more reason to stick with our gameplan/strengths. If we are behind then don't we want to keep their offense off the field as much as possible? Don't we want to let our #2 ranked defense get as much rest as possible?

If we are behind by 14 or less in the 1st half then I think we really need to keep our playcalling based on our strengths, make some nice long time consuming drives, score (getting some momentum), and turn it over to our well rested D to hopefully get a 3 and out or a turnover, then start all over again.

Curious to hear your thoughts....

Originally posted by mdg43

I don't understand the logic frequently stated, that if we fall behind by a couple scores, we have to abandon the running game. In my opinion that is all the more reason to stick with our gameplan/strengths. If we are behind then don't we want to keep their offense off the field as much as possible? Don't we want to let our #2 ranked defense get as much rest as possible?

If you are down 14+ points, you need to make up that difference quickly. Running, while it may be effective, takes large chunks of time off the clock. If it's still the first half, this isn't a problem. But if it's the 3rd or 4th quarter, you need some big passing plays.

It doesn't mean you stop running altogether, but you start passing more than running.

Originally posted by mdg43

If we are behind by 14 or less in the 1st half then I think we really need to keep our playcalling based on our strengths, make some nice long time consuming drives, score (getting some momentum), and turn it over to our well rested D to hopefully get a 3 and out or a turnover, then start all over again.

Curious to hear your thoughts....

See my above comments. Being down 14 points in the first half isn't cause for panic. But in the second half, you need to start chucking it downfield.

Maybe Gibbs is setting up the Eagles. All he talks about is the running game, this and the running game that. Maybe he knows the downfield passing game has been clicking in practice. First series the eagles have 8 in the box and he goes long to McCants!!! TOUCHDOWN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS!

This entire season pass vs run has been based solely on whats working and whats not working, not based on the score, we havent really been that far behind in any game to abandon the run, we have abandoned the run because the run got stuffed or we abandoned it because we got stopped on third down and couldn't sustain drives.

I understand your logic Lil Lane, but I've seen us abandon the run in the 1st qtr a number of times. Even early in the 2nd half, if our D has held us to within 14 I think our O should try to stay balanced and prevent their D from knowing they can just blitz Pat all the time.

It's hard to tell if we've "abandoned" the run in the first quarter when our drives are just 3 and outs. Like in the first Philly game, Portis was getting stuffed on all those runs, so we tried throwing it a bit, but I don't think it was really obvious that we had abandoned the run. It just wasn't working, like everything else.

Originally posted by afparent

First series the eagles have 8 in the box and he goes long to McCants!!! TOUCHDOWN, WASHINGTON REDSKINS!

I'll take this one.....

" Ramsey under center.....coles and gardner the wideouts , McCants in the slot......quick snap...here comes the blitz.....ramsey steps into the pocket AND HE HAS A MAN OPEN OVER THE MIDDLE IT'S MCCANTS AT THE 30 CUTS IT BACK TO THE 40 ACROSS MID FIELD NOW....IT'S A FOOT RACE AND THERE NOT GONNA CATCH HIM 30-20-10-5

TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON REDSKINS!!!!!! A 80 YARD PASS AND RUN AND THE REDSKINS TAKE THE EARLY LEAD......

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Archived