Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any car sales professionals here?

Doggmatic

So, I've got the kid and family thing going now and need a new vehicle. I've decided on the 2005 Honda Odyssey EX w/ Leather & DVD. Been around to a few local dealerships, but they all seem to be super-confident in their ability to sell these near sticker price. It's a popular model, apparently. I want to get the best deal possible, but this is only the second time I've purchased a vehicle on my own, so I want some advice from you folks about how to do it right.

Are they just bluffing with the whole "we can sell these things without having to make deals" spiel? What can I say or do to make sure I'm getting the lowest price possible? One guy at a dealership in my hometown offered $1500 off MSRP, but is that the best I'm going to be able to do on this vehicle?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Not just from sales folks, but any seasoned car buyer, as well.

Thanks.

If it helps, Autobytel info on the Odyssey

I know you may be sold on this vehicle, but let me just put a plug in for one I bought last year, the Mazda Tribute. They are very nice, dependable as hell, and probably the best value in the SUV market. Its not huge like the larger class SUVs, but its plenty roomy enough and a hell of a lot cheaper than what you're looking at.

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/mazda_tribute_2005/3877/model_overview.html

mazda_tribute_esv64wd_2004_385x192.jpg

Riggins44 is the guy to go to on this one being he's still involved with a new car dealership.

Honda is funny. They have had that mind set on sticker price for many years now, and it seems to work for them. I haven't ever heard of somebody getting a deal on a Honda except on the lower line products like Civics.

Honda, weather some people think it or not, is still the industrey standard in Asian automotive, with Toyota a close second, and your gonna pay for that.

Doggmatica, your luckey you don't have to get on a waiting list for an Odyssey, it has happened in the past in heavily populated areas. My cousin got a Toyota mini van when the wait was too long for the Honda where he is in NY.

Good luck on a good choice:cheers:

I can't believe they are holding for MSRP on an minivan. Go to Edmunds and price out the vehicle. It should give you a figure close to invoice. Use this to negotiate the price you want.

If you're looking for 6-7 seating, look at something like the

Pilot, Explorer with 3rd seat, or even the new Freestye.

Another thing is to go Honda's site or Autobytel and request

internet quotes from several dealers.

If possible wait until later in the month. Everyone will try to

be reaching their goals and chances are will be more willing

to deal. Closer to end of the month the better you'll be.

PM me if you want my rant on "Processing Fees".

Archived