Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just a little FYI...

halter91

Have faith in our man Joe. Please don't doubt him. Sure we are having a horrible year. We are in almost every game, a lot of those games were win-able. Jim Johnson won 2 games his 1st year with the Cowpukes and then won a few Super Bowls. Just have Faith in Joe. He WILL NOT LET US DOWN!

Good thread. That a coach could come back to the game after a long hiatus and immediately start spanking 31 other teams is a fantastic feat. It's been done (somewhat), but it's really an unrealistic expectation.

I'm reminded of the Falcons in '97, who after a dismal year put together what seemed to be a string of insignificant victories at the end of that year - but continued it into the following year in what resulted in a NFC Conference Title.

Go 'Skins!

Perhaps a statistic that brings a little bit more relevance......Dick Vermeil had a combined record of 9-23 in his first two years with the Rams before going 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl in his third season. Not only that, I believe that Vermeil was away from the NFL longer than Gibbs.

Patience my friends......Patience

Originally posted by BurgundyBomber

I'm reminded of the Falcons in '97, who after a dismal year put together what seemed to be a string of insignificant victories at the end of that year - but continued it into the following year in what resulted in a NFC Conference Title.

are you telling us that we are going to go to the superbowl, get blown out, fade into obscurity after portis has a career ending injury, then we will draft the younger vick? then snyder will fire gibbs and bring in a son of a former coach???

OH NO!!

are you telling us that we are going to go to the superbowl, get blown out, fade into obscurity after portis has a career ending injury, then we will draft the younger vick? then snyder will fire gibbs and bring in a son of a former coach???

afkidd

Er. No.

Just like the Vermeil reference, it's that turning around a franchise takes time. The 'Skins/Snyder have kept resetting that clock by changing coaches. Success may have been possible under Marty - we'll never know, although from looking at SD you can make a case.

What's key now is sticking with the coaching staff we have now. Add a GM? Perhaps. But Gibbs/Williams should be preserved.

Back to the Falcons analogy - during 1998 I went to all the Falcons' home games and never saw them lose. Would you mind that right about now? :2cents:

Oh, and BTW- Jimmy never won anything without Norv, Parcells never won anything without Belichick, and Joe Gibbs can be just as successful (or unsuccessful) as these coaches were after THEIR "dynasties" went away. What he does now won't erase what he did before and all Joe needs to do for me to consider his return a success is get us back in the opening playoff round.

Originally posted by galentjm

Perhaps a statistic that brings a little bit more relevance......Dick Vermeil had a combined record of 9-23 in his first two years with the Rams before going 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl in his third season. Not only that, I believe that Vermeil was away from the NFL longer than Gibbs.

Patience my friends......Patience

Good post.

What this board needs is............Patience.

Gibbs will...."get er done."

Archived