Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Gibbs's Swagger...

red zone

I did see Gibbs starting to get some of his swagger back as far as formations are concerned. I don't know what to call them, but I saw several formations with two and three players in the backfield initially. Generally it was two H-Backs and a TB. One of the H-backs always went in motion. It looked strange at first. I would expect to see more of it.

I don't tape or TiVo the games, but for anyone that did, maybe you could provide a more detailed account of the formations, down, distance, pass, run etc.

Clearly they didn't have much success yesterday regardless of the formation, but Coach Gibbs is 'tinkering" at a tough time. On the road, on a crappy field against the leagues best D. I just didn't want the tinkering to go un-noticed. :logo:

I expect coach Gibbs to tinker in every game for the rest of the season. I would not be surprised to see a lot of trick plays called. Gibbs knows this season is a bust. I know he is still a competitor and he wants to win games; however, he knows he has to revamp over the offseason, and I believe he is looking at who is going to be here next year, and what plays are going to be the most succesful.

I believe Gibbs is willing to do quite a bit of experiementation and player evaluation in order to field the best team NEXT YEAR!

We simply don't have all the pieces to be a playoff team this year.... starting with the soft and overmatched OL interior. Add inconsistent wideouts and the lack of a true blocking TE.

I think you're right.

One thing that I've noticed this season, is that Joe Gibbs has seemed to be feeling this team out. What I mean is, when the season started, Joe was incorporating the motions and the old school running plays. So here, I'm gonna try to break it down and you tell me if I'm wrong.

1: (Games: TB - Cleveland) Heavy Motions, the shortened play clock made these hard to do. Hard nosed running plays (Counter Trey, Gut, etc.), those plays did not fit the running style of CP nor did our O-Line have the speed to pull the way they needed to. Joe Gibbs learned that he needed to scale it down some.

2: (Game: Baltimore) Motions were all but non-existent, we were trying to just work with what we had. Hard nosed running was still there, but not working as well.

3: (Game: Chicago) Motions were still gone, but we started to incorporate the Zone blocking which we saw was much better.

Bye

4: (Game: Packers) We couldn't get the running game going since we started off being down. Motions made their way back with more success, as we tried to get the passing game going.

5: (Game: Detroit) We put it all together, and the running game looked good, unfortunately we didn't have the passing game. Joe put everything together to see how it all worked. It was successful.

6: (Game: Bengals) The running game took the week off and we decided to go pass happy. Motions were still there. Ramsey came in, we had to ween him into the system, so we saw some of the motions scale back.

7: (Game: Eagles) Running game struggled which hurt us. Ramsey was still getting comfortable, so the motions and shifts were minor.

8: (Game: Steelers) #1 D in the league. It's tough. The running game struggled again, but we saw the motions and shifts come back with some regularity.

So, I think Joe Gibbs is just trying to make sure he's comfortable, as well as, the rest of the team is comfortable. Maybe I'm wrong.

Archived