Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My fear: We trade up today

88Comrade2000

I would like to think I'm wrong in this but I still feel that Snyder is looking to make a splash. Snyders probably on the phones right now talking up a deal (02:14) He has been underestimated so many times. More often than not he gets who he is after.

I would label this year's moves as bold rather than splashy.

Snyder was splashy in 2000 helicoptering in the draft picks and seeing Deion show up in a burgundy and gold suit. Both money and the age of the free agents brought in were secondary considerations.

that isn't going to happen this time around. the signing of Trotter was pretty straightforward and came at a tag of almost $1.2 M per season less than what Trotter was asking for from the Eagles.

Armstead was a value signing with a relatively small bonus for an elite player.

The other signings for lesser names, except for Wynn, hold little downside risk financially if they don't work out.

That is the sign of maturity in the organization.

Whether that comes from Snyder himself or whether he is being influenced in a positive way by Joe Mendes I don't know.

But as a group the Redskins front office has done a good job so far.

In fact they have been far more active EARLY than I expected.

Spurrier and Lewis understand that getting players in to learn the system and become familiar with their teammates is an important ingredient in getting off to a good start in September.

That was something that Marty didn't really focus on. He seemed to think a few weeks of camp could undo what was a chaotic offseason, exacerbated by a host of moves in late June and early July to pick up players that were expected to come in and start right away.

I am not in love with Harrington. But if Snyder and Mendes do trade up to get him, it will be at least in part because Spurrier has looked at the film and evaluated him and given a stamp of approval.

I very much doubt that Snyder would trade up to select a player his $25M head coach believes will either be a bust or someone that won't fit the system being put in place. :)

Well thought out Bulldog. :D

Yeah giving up this year's #1 and #2 picks and probably next year's #1 and maybe #2 picks for Harrington, would be a huge risk. I still have nightmares after the Desmond Howard trade up [two #1 picks blown], did not work out. :(

Incidentally, I love you new outfit, Bulldog. What is this your day off from chasing cars? :D

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Well thought out Bulldog. :D

Yeah giving up this year's #1 and #2 picks and probably next year's #1 and maybe #2 picks for Harrington, would be a huge risk. I still have nightmares after the Desmond Howard trade up [two #1 picks blown], did not work out. :(

Incidentally, I love you new outfit, Bulldog. What is this your day off from chasing cars? :D

Don't give up a future #1 pick, but it's crisp-and-clean-with-no-caffeine to give up our second rounder to take a stud DT, like John Henderson. In Kiper's final mock draft, he has Henderson falling to #11 (the Colts). Washington picks at #18. Henderson is a hoss. I don't know what a hoss is, but if it's good, he's that. Taco!!!!

In fact, Henderson MAY drop all the way to us at #18. Remember, last year, injury concerns about DT Shaun Rogers had him fall out of the first round, all the way to the bottom of the second round. There's some injury concerns about Henderson's back, and who knows???? I wouldn't be flabbergasted if the injury makes some G.M.s nervous.

Interestingly, Kiper also has Roy Williams falling all the way to #14, which means that we might not have to give up a second rounder to take him, if the rumors about Snyder being in love with the guy is true. I'd rather have Henderson, though. I think Henderson would help us more than an OG.

Archived