Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Tony Dungy's Defense

red zone

I hate to belabor T.O. MNF Skit-gate, but I interpreted Coach Dungy's comments differently most others.

I think what Tony Dungy was trying to say was, why is it brothers always have to be involved in some scurrilous behavior? Let's see... should I cut a slice, or do the right thing and go play the game I get paid a bagillion dollars to play? Hmmm, I believe I'll cut a slice!

Whether the woman was white or not is insignificant to Dungy's argument.

It's kind of the same feeling I get when I hear comedians say Bill Clinton was the "First Black President" because he had black people problems. Monica et. al. As if it is some well known fact all black folks have those types of problems.

Clearly, this story has gotten more mileage than it should, but I'm not going to blame Dungy for it.:2cents:

Way off topic, but I remember when a few African American leaders were actually happy that John Mohammed became the "first black serial killer" up there with Charles Manson and the Unibomber. I'm not sure how convoluted your logic has to be to get to that point, but that kind of thinking is real and more common than one would think.

I heard Dungy on WTEM earlier this week on the Mike and Mike show, and he had a compelling argument for his position. He didn't flat out call the whole thing racist, but said that as an African-American, he's sensitive to portrayals that perpetuate stereotypes. He felt the skit tweaked stereotypes both of athletes in general and of African-American men.

I didn't see it that way, but he made a strong case for his point of view, and he certainly didn't come across as pulling the race card in a knee-jerk kind of way.

Originally posted by KirkNC

Funny I saw TO in that skit -not a black man. First time I ever thought of a stereo type is when Dungy brought it up as being one. Perhaps it is the Dungy's of the world perpetuating racism.

That's tough to say when you're not in his skin, literally and figuratively.

Funny I saw TO in that skit -not a black man. First time I ever thought of a stereo type is when Dungy brought it up as being one. Perhaps it is the Dungy's of the world perpetuating racism.

Exactly. I saw a man being a man. It's really that simple.

Originally posted by Mittens

He's over sensitive. Philly was playing that night, and who else would they use as the "sex symbol" for the skit? Players on Dallas? McNabb? :laugh: What white player would fit the role, an offensive linemen? Please.

The posterboy for the NFL,Peyton Manning,played the previous week.Why didn't they use him?

No it is because Dungy has been around for a long time and remembers the Jim Brown and Raquel Welch movie.

Archived