Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much of Brnunell's failure might be Gibbs' fault?

Ignatius J.

Could it be the scheme?

Our running game was struggling at the beginning of this year, despite having one of the most constistantly productive backs in the league. Gibbs has clearly spent a significant amount of time revamping the tun game, and now appears to have found plays that work.

It hasn't been as simple as switching to zone blocking. Instead, gibbs has been redesigning counters to get a guy in motion as the lead pulling blocker. The backside tackle isn't always pulling any more. The zone plays are straight up, but they also stretch. The run a stretch counter as well. These plays weren't all in the playbook a few weeks ago.

Now moving back to the passing game, we haven't seen that kind of fundamental shift in the routes run.

Gibbs appears to have four routes in this offense:

1. a curl

2. a fade

3. a quick out

4. a crossing pattern

I'm not counting the wide reciever screen as a pass play

Now, I know that deep outs aren't an option with brunell at QB, but this is still an exceedinly simple list of routes that don't really attack the zone coverages that are popular in the NFL.

Routes like slants, skinny posts, deep outs all attack zones, and none of them are in our arsenal.

Gibbs passing attack might not have the sophistication to be successful with any QB at the helm. Even though Ramsey did move the ball well, he also got several picks. Even in preseason we saw our passing game struggle with both QBs, and we know ramsey has been successful before.

When gibbs decides to go deep, which is often, he is doing it with fades. The trouble is that brunell looks deep and sees everyone covered. The scheme is too simple and is easily covered because gibbs seems to rarely challenge the seam up the middle in the ever popular cover 2.

It took the league a little while to figure out how to exploit the cover 2, but now passers like peyton and brady make a killing attacking the weak spots. Could it be that gibbs is still relying on the schemes that cover 2 was designed to shut down?

that doesn't explain balls sailing over the heads of wide open recievers. Rewatch a game tape. Anytime Brunell throws a pass over ten yards it's off his back foot and all arm. He doesn't step into a long pass even if he has plenty of room to do it. I think he's afraid of getting hit or something.

I don't agree with you, but your points are well made. I just see it the other way around.

When you say that we only seem to have a limited number of routes, you're right as far as I can tell, but that has to be because Brunell simply doesn't have the arm for anything else.

As a QB ages, he usually loses arm strength, but his lack of accuracy has been striking. Floating balls here, sailing them there. He's not just missing the few long throws he tries, he's missing the short ones too.

Maybe earlier in the season the schemes were a little less than ideal for him, but he was actually a little better earlier in the year.

I would say also that the amount of dropped balls are not receivers faults everytime.... the lack of velocity the passes have causes the receivers to be getting nailed as soon as the ball gets to them... it's hard to catch the ball when you are getting killed everytime you are catching the ball

Originally posted by RedskinLifer

I don't agree with you, but your points are well made. I just see it the other way around.

When you say that we only seem to have a limited number of routes, you're right as far as I can tell, but that has to be because Brunell simply doesn't have the arm for anything else.

As a QB ages, he usually loses arm strength, but his lack of accuracy has been striking. Floating balls here, sailing them there. He's not just missing the few long throws he tries, he's missing the short ones too.

Maybe earlier in the season the schemes were a little less than ideal for him, but he was actually a little better earlier in the year.

Yeah the Dallas game in particular he was pretty damn good in.. Not his fault we fell short there.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Chachie

How many times are we going to ask these questions?

Folks, you got NO CONTROL over this. Back your starting QB and get on with your lives. It's ALL Gibbs' fault and when all is said and done it will be ALL Gibbs' praise.

Here here.

Absolutely, lets start cheering instead of booing.

We have a great defense that will get better when Lavar comes back and next year it can be even more devasating if we pick up a real pass rushing defensive end.

We have a pounding running game with a guy who is capable of breaking one off for 60 yards on every play.

And we have, of course, room for improvement in the passing game. So what. Thats something to look forward to. If we had a passing game we would be 8-0. Did you really expect that in Gibbs first year? A win this weekend puts us only 1 game out of playing .500 football....and we have been in every single game at the 2 minute warning. Not many teams can claim that.

If this is nothing but a tune up for next year, then so be it. But as long as we still have a chance to make the playoffs there is absolutely no point in being a negative force and puking all over every post. Mark Brunell is the quarterback for now and he will either help us win the game or he will help us lose the game, the same as a number of players will do this weekend.

At least he is on the field. Lavar and Barrow and Daniels can't even play.

Folks, you got NO CONTROL over this. Back your starting QB and get on with your lives. It's ALL Gibbs' fault and when all is said and done it will be ALL Gibbs' praise.

Where would be the fun in that?

I see that sig pic is well earned.

:laugh:

:laugh:

Why are you so overdramatic about stuff like this? This is nothing more, or nothing less, than fans analyzing their favorite team. Just because you don't wish to participate doesn't mean others can't. :rolleyes:

Archived