Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concussions: Brunell's real problem

freakofthesouth

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Great find man. :cheers:

I remember that game; he looked terrible. Seems to be doing OK now though. Did he have any concussions before then?

Well, this article says Warner had concussions in 1995 (while still in the Arena league) and most recently in 2000 while with the Rams...

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=%22kurt+warner%22+concussion&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&u=ps2.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6635728&w=%22kurt+warner%22+concussion&d=A29F1D46FD&icp=1&.intl=us

It doesn't say how many he's had, though...

Great thread. I hadn't considered this issue. I know from personal experience with a minor brain injury that my congnitive function, memory, and personality have all changed somewhat...and not for the better.

MTBI is so insidious because the effects are often subtle and not entirely noticeable to those around the victim. In this case I think Brunell himself is in denial because he has probably taken a number of hits like these during his career without any diminishing of his skills. Unfortunately, as I understand it the effect of concussions is cumulative.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Great thread. I hadn't considered this issue. I know from personal experience with a minor brain injury that my congnitive function, memory, and personality have all changed somewhat...and not for the better.

MTBI is so insidious because the effects are often subtle and not entirely noticeable to those around the victim. In this case I think Brunell himself is in denial because he has probably taken a number of hits like these during his career without any diminishing of his skills. Unfortunately, as I understand it the effect of concussions is cumulative.

Brunell is clearly in denial, shown from the adamant nature in which he attacks those in the article that were questioning him.

That's very interesting that you have mentioned this point...

Are we dealing w/ a QB that is on the way out health-wise?

So he has taken a beating and now lost his confidence and maybe some of his congantive ability and his arms strength has deteriorated. He is our starter for the foreseeable future and is an $8 million liability against the future salary cap. If only we had a young strong armed QB with potential to turn to.

His armstrength really does suck. I don't know what you are watching.

Hmmmm....

interesting comparison. I have always felt that Martz screwed the pooch with Warner, and I've felt that Warner was still a good QB. I know little about football (as if you guys didn't already recognize that, LOL), but even I could see that Martz seemed to be cutting Warner out to dry, placing the entire offense on his shoulders and NOT using Faulk!

I'm interested in the effects of concussions, though, because I actively Box and Kickbox. I have never actually been KO'ed, though I have gotten "noodle knees" and taken some SERIOUSLY hard shots to the head.

But I know of people who HAVE been KO'ed, or taken numerous seriously hard shots to the head, and man, they just ain't right!

Another thing to understand is that when someone gets a concussion, they become more susceptible (sp?) to future concussions. That is why Boxers/Kickboxers are forced to take a mandatory 30 days off (minimum) after a KO.

From what I've seen, Football players are often back on the field the very next weekend after a concussion, taking the same (or similar) hits. They may not necessarily get reconcussed, but the continued hits are definately taking their toll.....

Sorry, I don't know exactly where I'm going with this discussion. Just wanted to throw a few things that I've learned about concussions out there for discussion.....

Archived