Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3 released

Tay

I am surprised Nagle got released so early. He had decent size and speed. He dominated in college but played way out of the spotlight at a small school against some inferior competition.

Morrison looked to be too small to make it in the NFL as a linebacker.

As far as Bentley goes, signing Conway and giving him a signing bonus meant he was going to be the kicker for 2001 barring season-ending injury.

Still I am surprised Bentley wasn't kept around in camp to lighten the load on Conway.

I guess Marty felt it was only fair to give Bentley a shot to hook on somewhere else.

Cutting Bentley may also give P Dan Frantz an opportunity to showcase his placekicking skills, since teams usually carry two kickers in camp. If I remember the scouting report correctly, Frantz put up some decent numbers handling punting and kicking at Portland State.

I suppose I'm in the minority, but I think Ham can contribute. He was a late bloomer in college, battled injury, and went undrafted (much like Jerry DeLoach), but he has some talent. He played well for one season in NFL Europe and was on the active roster all last season. It's hard to tell what he has, though, because Norv and Rhodes just refused to rotate any young players into the games.

From what I've heard and seen, he has a motor and is pretty high energy. He's not going to be a runs-stuffing beast, but he is athletic enough to make some plays in the running game. People keep harping on his weight, but he's basically in the same range (255-265lbs) as Pro Bowler DEs Jevon Kearse, Trace Armstrong, Jason Taylor, and our very own Marco Coleman. He's not an athletic freak like Kearse or Taylor, but I bet he's comparable to Armstrong and Coleman.

I'm not predicting anything about Ham, but I think he is too easily dismissed. People assume he's just training camp fodder because Turner kept him around so long. But like so many young players under Norv Turner, he never really got a chance to show anything, good or bad.

Echoing what Guru said, Derrick Ham makes for a solid backup defensive end. From everything I've seen, he's Kalu with a pinch less pash rushing ability, and a pinch more run stopping ability. He's cheap, has a good motor, and hasnt (as far as I know) been a discipline problem. Is this not exactly the kind of guy Marty likes to have on his team? Unless we have some undrafted free agent monsters drop on our head, I think he's here to stay.

I believe Nagle is good also. I am just guessing here that

Marty is seeing some things we can't. Is it his "locker" room commuincae?? Is it his diligence, since his good days in college and the reps are too much for him? Is it a "mutual" with him and Marty, that he will lay low and wait by the phone (after all folks, we are less than 50

FREAKIN' DAYS FROM Training Camp - Yesssss!)

So Marty knows something and seeing something we can't, hmm.

<FONT COLOR="Yellow">HTTR</FONT c><FONT COLOR="Red">!!!!</FONT c> injun.gif

Good questions indy. Maybe Nagle just din't have IT. Marty is supposed to work wonders with linebackers, isn't he? By the way, I was looking at the roster, I don't think Ham can be cut until late in camp. We seem to have the minimum number of de for camp and no one is going to be cheaper, are they? Of course, if he has the ability that Guru and TheChosenOne think, he shouldn't be cut.

Hey Bulldog, if Hill is parked in a motel waiting for Marty's call, he's probably got a long wait.

Ultimately, I think he's probably a good bet to sign if he accepts an offer that fits the needs. But, since Marty is going on vacation, and all the players have no mandatory (or otherwise) meetings, drills or camps in the next 6 weeks, Hill would need to rent a truckload of movies to keep himself entertained while waiting on the call.

Seriously, I hope he is signed vs. Bates. As you mentiond, Bates is too old and offers nothing else from a position standpoint.

I guess it's time to travel abroad too? I'm partial to blondes!

Archived