Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Conference with Coach Gibbs at 5p.m. EST. Go to official site to listen in.

Commander PK

Originally posted by RyansRangers

if its not brunells arm strength then prove it.. Put him in a Shotgun and let him launch the ball for 1 whole quarter and lets see what happens.

At least with Ramsey if we are going to lose he makes it exciting with all the bombs.

It sounds to me like you're comparing Spurrier's offense to Joe's offense, rather than comparing Ramsey and Brunell.

Ramsey was chucking the ball up in the Air because we were behind.

Did Brunell not do the exact same thing against Dallas?

If I recall correctly, Ramsey didn't seem to throw to many bombs while competing for the starting job in preseason, now did he? Not even against second stringers.

It's a new system. Don't you have faith in this coaching staff? We all knew that there was going to be a learning curve. Gibbs has been out of the league for a long time.

Arsenic...

I dont want that kind of offense but gibbs keeps saying that brunell has arm strength and it seems as though he cant make the laser throws anymore. They all kinda float.

I think the major problem with the "patience is a virtue" theory is it doesnt work in Free Agency. You need to get the most out of your players now because you might not be able to afford them next year.

Arsenic...

I dont want that kind of offense but gibbs keeps saying that brunell has arm strength and it seems as though he cant make the laser throws anymore. They all kinda float.

I think the major problem with the "patience is a virtue" theory is it doesnt work in Free Agency. You need to get the most out of your players now because you might not be able to afford them next year.

I think Partick Ramsey is very talented. But I feel that this team has lacked consistancy over the last decade from massive turnover. If we can just be patient with our offense for once, eventually, we can have success again in DC. Doug Williams and Mark Rypien were'nt exactly the most talented QB's to play in this league, however, they were both successful in this system.

Originally posted by evangel_nc

Anyone who remembers Joe Theisman's last season should'nt be shocked to hear Gibbs is sticking with Brunnel. I wish a reporter would ask this: Does Ramsey become the starter once the Skins are no longer in playoff contention?

great question, because he HAS said Ramsey has a long promising future with the team and one needs to get him game time or trade him.

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

Not that this really needs to be said, but for the younger fans in the group who need results now, the phrase that comes to mind is "Patience is a virtue"

Hang in there guys, its coming, the question is when.....

I'm not too young, but I didn't follow football like I do now. I guess in 82 I was 9. I don't remember much, but I do know I watched with my Dad.

I was set in my mind at the beginning of the season 8-8 would be positive step, anything more would be a bonus.

The thing I am concerned about is, in 5 weeks I haven't seen any improvement with this team offensively. Their best game came vs. Dallas when Gardner had the luxury of going against a rookie DB who bit on every double move Gardner put on him.

I know Coach Gibbs is a run 1st coach to setup play action. Unfortunately we haven't put the fear into defenses with our passing game or rushing game. Teams are just stacking 9 in the box 1st and 2nd down. It's not easy making yards in a single back system when the other team is stacking the line.

I think Coach Gibbs needs to come out passing to setup the run. Until we can establish a passing game, running will be hard.

I discount any thing we did in that game, because it hasn't been replicated.

So basically, I knew this year was going to be a learning year, I just didn't think it was going to be this bad. I have complete faith that Gibbs will right the ship. I just hope it happens soon before the defense turns on the offense. Although with Gibbs having a good relationship with his players, he should be able to buy a few more weeks of keeping the team united.

Originally posted by Resurrection

Gibbs: General consensus for challenge was it was close, let's try it. If we didn't challenge, it would have been an awful thing to not do it. We should have challenged it.

This shows the game has passed him by a bit (edit: as Resurrection points out below, I should be more specific, this facet of the game seems to confound him, even with the personnel to support challenges). There has to be clear evidence to overturn, unless you suspect there is do not challenge, do not challenge on a play that is close just because it is close. Looking at the call, there was just not any evidence to overturn (if the call had been made the other way, no challenge due to the play being dead but there would not have been enough evidence to overturn that direction either). I was hoping but even the first replay showed that there was nothing new to see.

Challenge plays that have evidence of the wrong call rather than a big play that you hope will be overturned.

BTW, no loss in this game since the timeouts did not matter at the end.

Originally posted by gstahl

This shows the game has passed him by a bit. There has to be clear evidence to overturn, unless you suspect there is do not challenge, do not challenge on a play that is close just because it is close. Looking at the call, there was just not any evidence to overturn (if the call had been made the other way, no challenge due to the play being dead but there would not have been enough evidence to overturn that direction either). I was hoping but even the first replay showed that there was nothing new to see.

Challenge plays that have evidence of the wrong call rather than a big play that you hope will be overturned.

Agreed

Edit: but I don't think that it's as much the game has passed him by, as it is, he really doesn't "get" the challenge thing yet.

Originally posted by gstahl

BTW, no loss in this game since the timeouts did not matter at the end .

Yup, this game it didn't bite us in the butt, but it could have if things had gone a little differently. I think the ref in the booth idea isn't working. It's not making any difference.

Arsenic...

My issue with Burnell has nothing to do with strength. He just seems to be missing the intangibles that make him a winner that can run the offense and lead the team. He seems okay with not doing well (kind of an all shucks we played really bad, my fault, attitude). I think he is good guy, but he is just not getting it done and you have two QB's (one which you say is the future) why not give the other one a shot. BTW, this would mean that Chris is protecting the blind side, which might in itself be a good thing.

Unless...

He REALLY thinks it is his (Gibbs) fault and that his offensive schemes just suck right now, thus no reason to blame anyone else (i.e., anyone would do poorly). In that case he may just be buying time until he makes major adjustments in his schemes thus will leave all the personnel the same to give them a shot at playing the new scheme. Just a random thought, but I can think of little other reason to say you are looking at everything and not change personnel much at all (heck, I think the defense has had more personnel changes than the offense).

Brunell does seem to lack that "fire in the belly" attitude. Some would call it poised. I dunno, take a look at what Ray Ray does for Baltimore's team as a whole. Do we have a guy like that outside of Lavar?

Taylor may have it one day, but on the offensive side of the ball, I'd be inclined to say no, I do believe Ramsey has it to some degree, but he's not in the game. My evidence was the pre-season game against Baltimore last year when Ramsey hit Coles on a flea flicker, he was fired up like he threw the game winning td in the super bowl. that kind of enthusiasm is contagious and it's severely lacking in this offense right now.

Brunell does seem to lack that "fire in the belly" attitude. Some would call it poised. I dunno, take a look at what Ray Ray does for Baltimore's team as a whole. Do we have a guy like that outside of Lavar?

No we don't, but one can dream Taylor could do it one day.

Originally posted by pr11fan

Taylor may have it one day, but on the offensive side of the ball, I'd be inclined to say no, I do believe Ramsey has it to some degree, but he's not in the game. My evidence was the pre-season game against Baltimore last year when Ramsey hit Coles on a flea flicker, he was fired up like he threw the game winning td in the super bowl. that kind of enthusiasm is contagious and it's severely lacking in this offense right now.

True dat :cheers:

Archived