Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paul Woody: the MATCHUPS

bubba9497

the MATCHUPS

Washington at New York Giants Today, 1 p.m., WRLH-35 Line: Redskins by 3

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031778033748&path=%21sports%21redskins&s=1045855935462

OFFENSE . . .

The Giants have a one-two punch at running back of Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne. The Redskins have Clinton Portis, who is something of a one-two punch all by himself. Both teams have quarterbacks who still have things to prove. The receivers, Ike Hilliard and Amani Toomer for the Giants and Laveranues Cole and Rod Gardner for the Redskins, are roughly equal. The Redskins' offensive line, though, is solid, while the Giants' line is a work-in-progress. Advantage: Washington

DEFENSE . . .

The party line from the Redskins is that the Giants just gave up several big plays against the Eagles, and that was the difference in the game. But the Eagles also converted 7 of 13 third-down attempts. The Giants always will be a threat with Michael Strahan rushing the passer.

The Redskins' use of blitzes to generate pass-rush pressure was effective in Week One, and undoubtedly will be in the game plan again. The front four, in combination with run blitzes, have been effective against the run. Advantage: Washington

SPECIAL TEAMS . . .

The Redskins need to tighten their kickoff coverage, and the Giants need to improve their punt coverage. The knock on Giants kicker Steve Christie (W&M) is that he's old and no longer has much range, but he made a 53-yarder against Philadelphia.

John Hall has a sore hamstring, which might limit his range today. Tom Tupa's ability to drop punts inside the 20 and drive punts deep when necessary makes him a weapon for the Redskins in the field-position game. Advantage: Washington

COACHING . . .

Well, it appears Joe Gibbs still has it. Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams certainly still has it. Giants coach Tom Coughlin puts together a decent game plan, and his players do play hard, but few coaches understand the big picture and small picture as well as Gibbs. Advantage: Washington

INTANGIBLES . . .

The Redskins players are currently in love with Gibbs and his staff. Several Giants have filed a grievance with the players' union against Coughlin. Discontent should not be discounted. Advantage: Washington - Paul Woody

Originally posted by jrfriedm

While I love this post, and I hope it all goes this well, I would defenitly have to say that is by a Redskins fan, and not non-biased reporting.

Actually, I've been reading Woody's reporting for five years and I've never seen a completely favorable review of the 'Skins. In other words, he's a tough grader when it comes to the team he covers, which I think he does intentionally to avoid the appearance of bias.

But if it's biased, then where is he wrong? I don't see it.

Not to say the Giants can't win of course, but these two teams at the moment do have the strong appearance of heading in opposite directions.

Sorry Tom, But Woody is pretty rough on the skins, and I have to agree with red, I think this is the first time I can remember him ever giving us every one. As a matter of fact, he only gave us one advantage against the boys last year and that was special teams. Woody is not a skins homer, the matchups just look good onpaper for the skins.:2cents:

I wonder how you compare the two team's O's without talking at all about TE??? Let's see.....Rasby vs Shockey....tough one.

It's especially interesting considering Shockey had his most yds as a pro V the Colts when Washington was their SAM and his second best day V the Skins when LaVar was their SAM.

Originally posted by Pocono

I wonder how you compare the two team's O's without talking at all about TE??? Let's see.....Rasby vs Shockey....tough one.

It's especially interesting considering Shockey had his most yds as a pro V the Colts when Washington was their SAM and his second best day V the Skins when LaVar was their SAM.

Without having actually seen the game, one cannot automatically assume that Washington had coverage responsibility for Shockey. He was very often used as a pass rusher for the Colts. Also one cannot assume man coverage was always used and that Washington wasnt required to release Shockey when he exited his zone.

Originally posted by Pocono

Actually, Cooley will probally being getting alot of playing time. This kid is pretty good too.

Originally posted by jempet

Actually, Cooley will probally being getting alot of playing time. This kid is pretty good too.

Exactly. Obviously the edge goes to NY on TE's, but does that make up for all of the other problems? I don't see it, especially given that the biggest problem is the o-line, which against Williams' attacking defense will make it awfully difficult to give Warner time to pass the ball to Shockey to begin with.

Archived