Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if...

Isifhan

By some miracle (and pardon me if this has been discussed before I just don't think I've seen it) Coach Gibbs manages to lead this team to the Superbowl this year. Now, I'm not saying by any stretch of the imagination that will happen so this is strictly hypothetical (I think we'll end up at around 10-6).

Would he be considered the best coach in any sport to ever have coached?

No, there's been other teams that have a coach win 4 Superbowls, and there have been teams in other sports win more than 4 championships. Coach Gibbs will, whether he leads the Redskins to a 4th championship or not will always be considered as just, one of the greatest of all time.

In the football world? Probably the best all-time. His 4 SB's would be tied for #1 and he would have done them in different eras. It would probably be Lombardi and Gibbs at the top, with many other great coaches slightly behind.

He would still probably be behind Coach K and Scott Bowman in the overall sports world.

Originally posted by Symbol

No, there's been other teams that have a coach win 4 Superbowls, and there have been teams in other sports win more than 4 championships. Coach Gibbs will, whether he leads the Redskins to a 4th championship or not will always be considered as just, one of the greatest of all time.

ONLY Chuck Noll has won 4 SBs, and he did it with essentially the same personnel every year. Winning 4 SBs with 4 different lineups would make him the greatest NFL coach ever.

As long as we're talking hypothetically, Gibbs normally won a SB every 4 years, so maybe he'll win 2 before his 5 years are up. ;)

Then only Pasquerelli, Peter Queen, Dr. Z, and a certain anti-semitic blowhard fired from ESPN would still try to deny he's the greatest NFL coach of all time.

If Gibbs wins #4 at any time during the next five years he'd have to be right there with Lombardi one of the two greatest NFL coaches of all time. Unless of course Parcells or perhaps Belicheck wins back-to-back titles during that span as well.

I'm not a hockey fan, but Scotty Bowman would get my vote as the greatest professional sports coach ever. Nine Stanley cups with three different teams, all time winningest coach in the regular season and the playoffs, winning a Cup in three different decades, and as recently as 2002. Hard to beat that resume.

Archived