Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SL: Coughlin's style doesn't suit some Giants

bubba9497

Coughlin's style doesn't suit some Giants

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/109435900557580.xml

The Giants are the talk of other locker rooms around the NFL. In the division. Out of the division. And not for the reasons they'd hope.

No, no one is expecting a whole lot from the Giants this season on the field. But they're anticipating possible fireworks off of it.

Players from other teams have begun hearing stories from Giants players about coach Tom Coughlin and his treatment of those around him.

One player from another NFC East team who was familiar with Coughlin's eight-year reign in Jacksonville said it doesn't sound like Coughlin has changed.

"He still belittles them, negatively reinforces everything over and over, and they've tuned him out from what I've heard," he said. "That's exactly what happened (with the Jaguars)."

Among the specific stories that have made their way into other teams' gossip circles:

Coughlin fined three Giants, all veterans, for not being "early enough" to a meeting while the team was still in Albany. The meeting was scheduled to begin at 7:15 p.m. When the players arrived at 7:12, Coughlin yelled, kicked them out of the room and fined them $1,000 apiece. The fines are being appealed.

The players know everything they say to the media is closely monitored. Coughlin has confronted players about some comments, even seemingly innocuous ones. He was particularly irked to read some players' remarks that training camp was not the torture chamber they'd feared, according to an opponent who has talked to several Giants.

A least a few veterans are hoping for escape routes. One player -- not a scrub -- told a buddy from another team that he hopes to get cut today, so he can sign with another team. This is a guy who could reasonably expect to be picked up. He confirmed this story.

Some players find their entrance onto the field for warmups to be rather collegiate, mainly because they look like a marching band minus the instruments. But that's not what matters. One opposing player shook his head and laughed, saying he could never understand why a coach would want his players so regimented and robotic prior to a game because that's precisely the time players should be getting amped up.

The word is out, and this is hardly the end of this sort of thing. It will continue until Coughlin changes, which won't happen, or until the Giants win.

NO STOPPING T.O.

Naturally, Eagles WR Terrell Owens has a personal stake in how the rule prohibiting illegal contact by defensive backs after five yards will be emphasized.

"It's kind of good and bad," Owens said. "I think it's bad for the DBs. But for me, I welcome it."

Owens might be exactly the type of receiver -- physical, runs over the middle, fast down the sideline -- who most benefits from the enforcement.

"It's going to obviously allow some opportunities for me to get by some guys," Owens said.

The Giants, of course, will get their first regular-season exposure to how the rule is going to be enforced against the Eagles next Sunday. That game can't be any uglier than what T.O. did as the 49ers rallied in the 2002 playoffs. Can it?

Given CB Will Allen's iffy status with a sprained knee -- he thinks he'll be ready -- the Giants might have no choice but to match up CB Will Peterson with Owens. And that includes the slot, where Peterson rarely plays.

PRIME TIME SMILE

No one was happier in Baltimore about CB Deion Sanders' arrival than defensive backs coach Johnnie Lynn.

"It's good for this team," said Lynn, the former Giants defensive coordinator. "And anybody likes to coach good players."

In the span of two days, Lynn saw his secondary bolstered significantly. First, Pro Bowl CB Chris McAlister finally ended his holdout. Then, Sanders signed.

"I got better real quick," a grinning Lynn said.

A classy move by the Jets to sign CB JAMIE HENDERSON to a two-year contract as he recovers from a near-fatal motorcycle accident. We'd like to think every other organization in the NFL would have done the same.Asked whether KURT WARNER or ELI MANNING scares him more, one NFC East defensive starter said, "Neither."Since 1998, 21 teams found their starting QBs in the draft; 11 were first-rounders, a 12th would be Chargers' PHILIP RIVERS , if he starts ahead of DREW BREES .

JIM FASSEL , on his impression of LB RAY LEWIS , now that they're on the same team: "When he says something, every guy in this building clicks his heels. And you need that. You need that very much."

The Redskins issued a press release after The Washington Post erroneously reported Monday that S RYAN CLARK , a former Giant, had been released. "Imagine how Ryan felt after reading this morning's paper, packing his bags and coming to Redskins Park to turn in his playbook," VP of football operations Vinny Cerrato said in the statement. "Ryan is not being cut."The Chiefs, whose season is dependent on the improvement of their defense, allowed one touchdown by their starting unit in four preseason games, Thursday against Dallas.Giants DT NORMAN HAND , who has 800 tailor-made throwback jerseys, would like Chiefs second-year RB LARRY JOHNSON . Johnson has reupholstered the seats of his Mercedes G55 with NFL throwbacks. The front seat includes Dick "Night Train" Lane. The back seat: Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Earl Campbell.RB DORSEY LEVENS figured it wouldn't be hard to find a job after the Giants released him in February. Then his agent told Levens there was only one other RB in the league older than he is: EMMITT SMITH . "I don't feel old, but that's the way the game is," Levens said. "When you're 34 and you're a running back, you're old."

Bucs QB CHRIS SIMMS has had an impressive preseason, outplaying BRIAN GRIESE for the backup spot behind BRAD JOHNSON . Coach JON GRUDEN praised Simms' ability, arm and mobility then said, "He has a charisma about him that I think everybody loves."Eagles QB DONOVAN McNABB believes TE L.J. SMITH , in his second year out of Rutgers, can be one of the best tight ends in the league. "There's a lot of things we can do with L.J., and we plan on doing with L.J.," McNabb said.Colts S BOB SANDERS , a second-round pick, became the last of the 255 players drafted in April to report when he ended his 29-day holdout Monday. Coach TONY DUNGY said he doesn't envision Sanders being ready for Thursday's season opener at New England. This is a rookie who had a chance to start.Colts QB PEYTON MANNING has set a 70 percent completion rate as his goal this season. If he meets it, he'd join a select group that includes Cincinnati's Ken Anderson (1982), Washington's Sammy Baugh (1945) and San Francisco's Steve Young (1994) and Joe Montana (1989).The Bengals have some believers. They expect to sell out their entire home schedule for the first time since 1992 and surpass the 500,000 mark in attendance for the first time in franchise history.Against the Titans last Monday, Cowboys RB JULIUS JONES made a rookie mistake: He wanted a breather, so he tapped his helmet. Coach BILL PARCELLS wasn't impressed. Parcells wouldn't let him out and told him not to do it again. Message received. "Unless you're laying out there and an ambulance has to come get you, you're not going to come out of the game," Jones said. "It's a lesson learned, and I'm fine."

WHOLLY WHOLESOME Giants rookie QB Eli Manning has been unbelievably accommodating to media/interview requests this preseason and is featured in a new Got Milk? ad with brother Peyton and father Archie. One opportunity Eli declined? An appearance on John McEnroe's MSNBC show. See, he is sharp.

BACKUP STEPS UP

The Giants didn't have much of a contingency plan for the middle linebacker job after releasing Mike Barrow. Barrow's new team, the Redskins, did. It won't surprise many Redskins if Antonio Pierce holds down the position this season. The 34-year-old Barrow didn't practice at all this preseason because of tendinitis in his knee.

NEW READ ON BARBERS

The Barber twins, Giants RB Tiki and Bucs CB Ronde, have authored a new children's book, By My Brother's Side. The book focuses on an accident when Tiki, about 12, flipped while riding his bike downhill, hit his head and severely cut his left knee. The doctor told Tiki he might never play sports again because his knee was so damaged.

Tiki, who has the scar, sees the book as a lesson in the importance of family, believing in one another and perseverance. Said Ronde: "We didn't go down that hill again."

SUNDAY SIT-DOWN

Ravens LB Ray Lewis

Why was it important to you to get your degree, and even make the dean's list? (Lewis graduated in business administration in May from the University of Maryland.)

Well, I made the decision in my younger life to come out of college early. To go back, as much as it was for myself, was for my mom. She's always instilled in us that it's one thing to go out and show your athletic ability, it's another thing to slow down as a man and go back and get your degree. It's something I wanted in my heart, for (my mom) to know that I'm not just out there hitting people on the football field but what I promise you, I went back and got.

What do you think when people try to copy your style, before and during the game?

(Laughs) It's so hard (for them) because they never take their mentality where mine is. It's a true mentality of understanding that God has prepared the table for me, so I just go out and let it all go. I can't control my actions on the football field because it's truly for His glory and nothing else matters. When people try to do it - and they always ask me, 'do your dance' - they don't understand.

Who's the second-best linebacker in the league?

Oh, I don't know. I don't even look at them like that to rate them. Honestly, I don't.

You notice I didn't ask who the first was.

Yeah, that would be an easy answer. I would never shy away from who I am and what I do when I step on the football field. When I step away, then I'll go back and evaluate the 2s and 3s.

Originally posted by bubba9497

One player from another NFC East team who was familiar with Coughlin's eight-year reign in Jacksonville said it doesn't sound like Coughlin has changed.

"He still belittles them, negatively reinforces everything over and over, and they've tuned him out from what I've heard," he said. "That's exactly what happened (with the Jaguars)."

Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be?

Originally posted by bubba9497

Coughlin's style doesn't suit some Giants

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/109435900557580.xml

The Giants are the talk of other locker rooms around the NFL. In the division. Out of the division. And not for the reasons they'd hope.

No, no one is expecting a whole lot from the Giants this season on the field. But they're anticipating possible fireworks off of it.

Players from other teams have begun hearing stories from Giants players about coach Tom Coughlin and his treatment of those around him.

Among the specific stories that have made their way into other teams' gossip circles:

Coughlin fined three Giants, all veterans, for not being "early enough" to a meeting while the team was still in Albany. The meeting was scheduled to begin at 7:15 p.m. When the players arrived at 7:12, Coughlin yelled, kicked them out of the room and fined them $1,000 apiece. The fines are being appealed.

The players know everything they say to the media is closely monitored. Coughlin has confronted players about some comments, even seemingly innocuous ones. He was particularly irked to read some players' remarks that training camp was not the torture chamber they'd feared, according to an opponent who has talked to several Giants.

A least a few veterans are hoping for escape routes. One player -- not a scrub -- told a buddy from another team that he hopes to get cut today, so he can sign with another team. This is a guy who could reasonably expect to be picked up. He confirmed this story.

Some players find their entrance onto the field for warmups to be rather collegiate, mainly because they look like a marching band minus the instruments. But that's not what matters. One opposing player shook his head and laughed, saying he could never understand why a coach would want his players so regimented and robotic prior to a game because that's precisely the time players should be getting amped up.

The word is out, and this is hardly the end of this sort of thing. It will continue until Coughlin changes, which won't happen, or until the Giants win.

It sounds to me like there are serious problems in NY & will take a while for Coughlin's "goosestepping" ways to take effect. I wonder who the veteran (the non-scrub) is that wants to be cut? Hmmmm.....intedethting, veddy intedethting!

Archived