Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has a team ever cut their first round pick......

JJredskins00

Originally posted by laurent

The Vikings Dimitrius Underwood was cut in his rookie year if I remember correctly.

You do remember correctly.

http://free.prohosting.com/~5040/history/underwood.htm

Although it was more of Underwood's doings than Minnesota waiving him.

They basically had to since he said he "lost his desire to play football" and thereafter no-showed for training camp one day after it commenced.

He was waived midway through camp and returned the signing bonus he got.

I guess it sort of evens out their first round pick in that they stole Moss but got burned by Underwood.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

You do remember correctly.

http://free.prohosting.com/~5040/history/underwood.htm

Although it was more of Underwood's doings than Minnesota waiving him.

They basically had to since he said he "lost his desire to play football" and thereafter no-showed for training camp one day after it commenced.

He was waived midway through camp and returned the signing bonus he got.

I guess it sort of evens out their first round pick in that they stole Moss but got burned by Underwood.

With the cap, it just isn't too smart to cut a 1st rounder right off the bat - unless it is an attitude problem because the cap hit is pretty big. 1st rounders usually sign 5-6 year contracts with between $20 million and $3 million bonuses. I f you cut them in the first year you accelerate 5/6 of the bonus as dead money in year two. It's generally going to be much cheaper to keep them for longer.

I watched a redskins yearbook on NFL Films from, I blieve the 1971 season, under Goerge Allen, I tihnkit was his first year wioth the skins, whatever year that was. Anyways, we apparently drafted a skinny white Wide Reciever in the first round, and he didn't make it through Training Camp. I'll go try to find his name now, and the proper year.

"I think the Redskins cut Bobby Wilson - DT. 1st round pick in '91. (Not positive though, he MAY have made it through one season)."

he was around for a few seasons. never lived up to his billing and had the injury bug.

i think tory nixon was a first rounder the skins cut in his rookie camp. might have been a second rounder though. he went to the niners that summer but was only in the league for maybe a couple years.

an uncharacteristically bad(high) pick by beathard.

Originally posted by Chokingdogs

"I think the Redskins cut Bobby Wilson - DT. 1st round pick in '91. (Not positive though, he MAY have made it through one season)."

he was around for a few seasons. never lived up to his billing and had the injury bug.

i think tory nixon was a first rounder the skins cut in his rookie camp. might have been a second rounder though. he went to the niners that summer but was only in the league for maybe a couple years.

an uncharacteristically bad(high) pick by beathard.

Thanks for the correction. He made zero impact and they probably should have dumped him sooner...oh, well...ancient history!

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

Andre Johnson.

No, Andre Johnson didn't get cut his first year. He was on the inactive list the whole year and never dressed out for a game because he wasn't good enough. He was cut the next year I think. What a waste of a first rounder.

Archived