Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brackens as a 3rd Down Passrusher?

method man

Do you guys think we should look into signing Brackens as a 3rd down passrusher. I realize he prolly cant be a fulltime starter anymore because of his knees. even after all his surgeries, he still had 6 sacks last year. i think if he played a fulltime role he would just get hurt. i believe if he played only 10 to 15 snaps he would be healthy and effective because the minimized playing time would give his legs time to heal also. I know some of his success last year came from teams' double teaming of stroud and henderson. but i believe as a 3rd down spec he can have 3 to 4 sacks and maybe 1 forced fumble. we can give him a 1-year vet minimum contract that can push his contract value to 1.5 million if he matches incentives that will not impact the cap such as incentives dealing with things over 4 sacks.

also remember that he would hav arrington next to him thereby increasing his efficacy. teams will hav to put a blocker or two on arrington freeing up brackens if arrington is put on his side on 3rd downs. having brackens rush the passer. having someone with brackens's dexterity at rushing the passer would allow us to alternate between lavar and marcus washington at rushing the passing on 3rds.

well he did hav 6 sacks last year, more than any other player on our team including bad angles smith. plus he would serve as the no. 4 DE on the depth chart after upshaw, wynn, and daniels. he will not really hav a prominent role more like a peppi zellner role. and teh reason he was cut was because he had a minor knee injury for which he was out for 2 weeks. it has healed. he was cut because del rio believed he was clogging up competition.

From what I read his (knee) problems amount to a lot more deterioration than just the recent leg/hamstring injury that kept him out of camp drills.

Besides, answer me how a healthy guy with 6 sacks sits without a deal while another DE, Douglas, with 3.5 sacks last year gets 4 offers within 24 hours of being released?

If Brackens was near 100% healthy I would anticipate more competition for his services.

Archived