Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Cooley Just won me over!!

jrfriedm

Although I like him as a player, we gave up a lot to get him. We lost our 2nd round pick for next year. That seems to never register with anyone. A 2nd round pick is a goldmine, you get those fringe 1st roudners who slip out due to what position they play, and you can get them a good deal cheaper than later 1st rounders. I like Cooley, but a 2nd round pick is steep. Real steep...

Originally posted by Hurst

Although I like him as a player, we gave up a lot to get him. We lost our 2nd round pick for next year. That seems to never register with anyone. A 2nd round pick is a goldmine, you get those fringe 1st roudners who slip out due to what position they play, and you can get them a good deal cheaper than later 1st rounders. I like Cooley, but a 2nd round pick is steep. Real steep...

Cooley probably should have been a 2nd rd pick anyway. So we are really getting what we paid for. As well as, you never know how often you'll get a chance at a true H-back.

But the market rate for a 3d in year X is generally 2d in the following year, so we really gave up the value of a 3d, not a 2d. (If I were a GM, I would jump on a trade to give up a 2d for a 1st the next year, or a 3d for a 2d the next year, but the market is what it is.)

Okay, so everyone has bought into the Redskin type of player deal. Frankly, all I want is for the guy to show up on sunday in the burgandy and gold and just play like his Daddy thought him. Catch the ball son. Just catch the ball. He doesn't have to teach Sunday school or lead old ladies across the street. All he has to do is Catch the damn ball! Get that Keyshawn? :dallasuck

What gets me going is that we could have drafted him with our own third rounder if we hadn't wasted it on Brunell. So we really gave up a second for Brunell who was bound for free agency anyway. THAT I don't get.

Originally posted by Sebowski

What gets me going is that we could have drafted him with our own third rounder if we hadn't wasted it on Brunell. So we really gave up a second for Brunell who was bound for free agency anyway. THAT I don't get.

bound for free agency unless someone else offered a draft pick for him to ensure they got him. - like Dallas, Miami, Tampa

I agree, especially since it looks like he isn't much better than sellers or Kozlowski

All this hype over 2nd and 3rd round picks is pretty ridiculous considering our past history of these picks:

Taylor Jacobs (2) - may end up something but cant stay on the field

Ladell Betts (2) - jury is way out on him and he may be on his way out

Rashad Bauman (3) - may be cut this year

Cliff Russell (3) - total bust

Lloyd Harrison (3) - total bust

The point is if you get a starter, and Cooley clearly can start in this league at some point, you give up what it takes. The others listed above will probably never start.

All draft picks are crapshoots (except ST, baby!!) so lets not overrate them.

Archived