Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying a guitar

Mr. S

I know many of you are guitar players, so I thought you could help again. Almost 2 months ago, I said I was gonna pick up guitar and try to teach myself. You all were pretty helpful then, and I've been progressing relatively well, learning some basic songs, my ear is a lot better trained, and im starting to figure out some songs w/o tabs now, only basic ones though still.

I soon want to buy a guitar and I have a few questions. I have never bought one before, so I really dont know what to look for, though a friend of mine whos old guitar im currently using will come with me, I just wanted more opinions. I was suggested some Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, and Fender models, all ranged between 150-250$. I want to buy an amp also, and spend 300$ or so all told.

Are Guitar Center's prices reasonable?

What else to look for when buying a guitar, im still a beginner and learning.

Please let me know what to think about, and PM if there is something really big you may know or are trying to dump one of your older ones. Thanks everyone.

Guitar center is cool IMO. You can negotiate with them, the sticker price is not the final price.

Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and research different models and take that knowledge into the store with you.

Guitar Center is owned by musicians friend so the prices are going to be comparable, but you can still negotiate.

My brother bought a bass amp two weeks ago and they went 10 percent below the musicians friend price.

Ibanez, Fender, ESP Ltd, Washburn and BC Rich all have "beginner models" in the price range you are seeking. Ibanez and Fender in particular offer some decent packages that include a practice amp. Make sure you get a tuner, thats the most important part for a new player. I can tune by ear, but I still use a tuner.

If you need more specific info, just ask, there's alot of knowledgeable guitar players on extremeskins.

depends on what your liking to sound is.....i got a nice Mexi made fender strat standard that has served me well since 98, i've been playing since 94......its a versitile guitar. if you like warmer tones go with a les paul......a telecaster is nice too.

Originally posted by Mr. S

What else to look for when buying a guitar, im still a beginner and learning.

The main thing depends on what type of music you intend on playing.

To be perfectly honest, at the price range that you are talking, there's not alot of difference in the guitars. They are in general going to have cheaper pickups and hardware than their mid priced big brothers.

In your case, starting out like that is fine, but as you get better, don't waste you time buying a mid priced guitar, if you stick with it, save up and get an American Fender, Gibson or PRS, there is no comparison, the quality and tone are amazing. But you definately pay for it.

The mid level guitars are just low quality models with better pick ups in many cases. You can just upgrade the pick ups in a entry level guitar to get you by until you can afford a real quality level guitar.

Or, Have riggotoni build one for you....

alright cool, im waiting to see what else people can say. Im mainly a rock/metal person, and will attempt to play more metal tunes eventually, not sure what exactly ill need.

Thanks code for the info on pickups and the slight differences.

Originally posted by codeorama

\

To be perfectly honest, at the price range that you are talking, there's not alot of difference in the guitars. They are in general going to have cheaper pickups and hardware than their mid priced big brothers.

\

I agree with this.

There are some great values on the used market if you have a decent idea of what you’re looking for. Go here and read up: http://www.harmony-central.com/

With a $300 budget you are limited but not out of the game.

If you are a metal head you couldn’t go wrong with this:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=342

or one of these:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=005

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=193 (the black W/maple board would be nice)

All of the Music Yo Kramers I listed are Korean made but I have found the quality to be very good, especially for the cash. The pickups are all high output double blade designs. Again, not the best but they should do nicely for the time being. I’ve played both of these models and they are on par with guitars costing a lot more.

The V is a bit more of a challenge to play if you are just starting out because it doesn’t balance on your knee. It looks cool though. The Barettas are a little more traditional looking.

As for am amp, I’d suggest this:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/page/MUO/PROD/659-7-P3/PEA00449030

or this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040712183903024030232240860870/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/482799/

The Peavey would be my first choice in this price range. Look around you might be able to get a better deal on any of this stuff used on e-bay.

Good luck!

Hog brings up some great info, if you are into metal, definately go with a guitar that has a humbucker in the bridge position, without a doubt. A single coil will not give you a sound you will be happy with for that style of music.

Good luck, playing guitar is a life time investment.

The MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Strats are good guitars for the money. I just bought a MIA Strat that I like a lot more, but the MIM is still a good guitar.

I picked up an Agile Les Paul Copy earlier this year for $250.00. Many players, including myself, are very impressed with the quality of the LP copies considering what you pay for. They have different levels of LPs' - the 2500 Series which I own, the 2800 (a step up), and finally the 3000 Series. Do a search for Rondo Music in NJ on the net and you will see these guitars. In addition, Harmony Central the Electric Guitar Section has an "Agile Bar" where the brand is discussed ad nauseum.

Finally, whatever guitar you get, have a good tech set it up properly for you.

thanks all for your help, I have been mainly looking at Ibanez models (I couldnt really find and Kramer models online with reviews). I also checked some Fenders, including their MiM telecaster, I played that at my friends house and liked the treble, though it had too much trouble. Based on reviews though at 3 sites, I kinda like this guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040720033044068100173123465778/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519551/

any thoughts or ideas? It also uses humbuckers instead of single coil, so I found that a plus. Once again, thansk for your help.

There are more guitar reviews than you can read in a year here: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/#man

You have to take all of the info for what it is. Some of the reviews are written by folks who don’t know what the heck they are talking about. Case in point the Tele you mentioned. It’s a cool guitar for country and some alternative type rock but isn’t usually the ticket for metal. You want something with a humbucker or two. So if you read a review by a guy bashing a Tele because it can’t do metal remember…..he’s an idiot for trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. It’s never going to sound like Metallica.

You will also read reviews that are a little too positive at times. EVERYONE loves their new guitar for the first week they own it. After a month or two with the same guitar their opinion may change. That’s not to say all positive reviews have to be thrown out, it just means you need to be aware that the review may have been written in the honeymoon period of ownership.

As to your Iceman, I can’t help you too much. I’ve strummed around on some of the older ones before but I’ve never had a chance to play one of the newer ones. On a whole my experiences over the years with Ibanez gear has been very positive. You can find a lot of them very cheap on e-bay which to a cheap guitar hound like me is a big plus. I like the old Japanese Ibanez stuff a lot. They are an incredible value for shred/metal guitars.

The big difference between your Iceman and the more expensive Iceman is that the one you are looking at is made in Korea rather than Japan like the high end Ibanez stuff. The pickups will not be quite as nice as the high dollar guitars either but remember, if you find the pickups are just not happening you can change them out later. That’s relatively cheap.

The made in Korea thing is almost a non issue now as the guitars coming out of Korea have gotten so good. They include the Epiphones, LTD, Ibanez, BC Rich, and Jackson budget lines. All of these manufactures have some decent guitars for the price.

Originally posted by Mr. S

thanks all for your help, I have been mainly looking at Ibanez models (I couldnt really find and Kramer models online with reviews). I also checked some Fenders, including their MiM telecaster, I played that at my friends house and liked the treble, though it had too much trouble. Based on reviews though at 3 sites, I kinda like this guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040720033044068100173123465778/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519551/

any thoughts or ideas? It also uses humbuckers instead of single coil, so I found that a plus. Once again, thansk for your help.

A telecaster has a definitive twang that separates it from other guitars. It's sound is noticeable right away.

I personally prefer a humbucker in the bridge position and single coils in the neck and middle position.

If you are playing metal, you definately want at least a humbucker in the bridge position. I don't think a tele would be what you want for that style of music unles you got one with a humbucker, fender does make them.

Ibanez is a good all around guitar and has many in the price range you are looking for.

A few points:

Nearly any guitar made in Korea is made by the same company - Samick (the world's largest guitar manufacturer). The only difference between a Samick Les Paul and an Epiphone LP, for example, is the sticker on the headstock. Samick also bought out Gibson a few years back. One of the best kept secrets in the music biz - Gibson is now owned by Koreans.

DO NOT buy a traditional Telecaster if you are playing hard rock or metal. You will never get the tone you are/ will be seeking from a tele. Code is dead on when he says for any kind of metal you should really look for a humbucker in the bridge. I'm a blues guy myself, and even I only like humbuckers in the bridge position.

If you like the Les Paul sound, keep an eye on ebay for a Westbury Standard or Deluxe guitar. These are perhaps the best of all the LP copies, and can typically be had for under $300. The Deluxes are solid maple and sustain forever (but also weigh quite a bit). The standards were made from mahogany. These guitars resemble an SG in appearance, and come with DiMarzio pickups. The necks are a bit thinner and (imo) much easier to play than their Gibson counterparts. I can't vouch, however, for their Strat knockoffs (more rare), since I've never tried one. Unfortunately, these guitars went out of production in the early 80s.

Archived