Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Doctor survives lightning strike; pet pig killed

Thiebear

Pig bears brunt of lightning strike, apparently saving doctor

an ABC Action News report 7/07/04

previous story: Doctor survives lightning strike; pet pig killed (7/06/04)

TAMPA - A bay area doctor walked out of Tampa General Hospital last night feeling groggy and sore, but happy to be alive.

Dr. Leif Lange was struck by lightning while walking outside of his Darby barn Tuesday afternoon. The chiropractor explained that he was walking a pet pig on a rope when the bolt struck nearby.

"The next thing I remember is my arms are flailing in front of me and I'm making all kinds of weird choking noises. I'm fully conscious. There's a metal gate behind me and I was pulled to that metal gate like a magnetic attraction," Lange said.

As he struggled to figure out what happened, Lange said, he realized the pig was dead and his own body was reeling from the strike.

Lange shows off his pink scars from the strike.

"I was paralyzed. My arm was stuck to my hand. My legs didn't move. I tried to get up with one arm and every muscle in my back completely spasmed on me," he recalled.

Lange managed to crawl back to his house and call 911. He was flown by helicopter to Tampa General Hospital where he was treated for burns that left his body scarred.

Despite losing the pig, Lange said he knew things could have been even worse.

"If I did not have rubber boots on and I wasn't holding onto that pig, I wouldn't be standing here. I'd be dead," he added. "The pig is a lifesaver. I've got the best pig in the world, even though he's dead. He served more of a purpose than just a barbeque on Sunday, that's for sure."

Peta surrenders....

Archived