Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mucho 'Skins content from Peter Queen today...

ntotoro

Peter Queen said: "But I also believe that, in his three or four years back running the ship, Gibbs will figure out how to win with this team -- he's too smart not to -- and add another Super Bowl title to his collection."

Yea baby, I knew we would win another one eventually!!!

Well, if we're going to nit-pick his column, here are a couple of things that I found annoying:

That's the signing bonus money he invested in troubled defensive tackle Darrell Russell (too bad a boy for even Washington)

Since when is Washington notorious for signing "bad boys"? The Ravens sure, but Washington?

UH-OH. THIS GUY'S MAD ABOUT MY REDSKINS VIEWS. From Ben Kreider of Mount Joy, Pa.: "You wrote, 'I think Trung Canidate, Dave Fiore and Jeremiah Trotter sure made the difference for those Redskins, didn't they?' You ****. Just once, only once, please, with sugar on top, say something nice about my 'Skins. Something optimistic. And don't take the easy way out and say that Joe Gibbs was a great hire. You owe us for the bad info on Sean Taylor. By the way, except for your usually harsh (and all too often accurate) rips on the Redskins, I very much enjoy your column. I just was honorably discharged from the Navy, and during my five years overseas, you helped make my Tuesday mornings (time difference) brighter with football, Sopranos and, even softball updates. Thank you.''

Ben, I will say this. Dan Snyder sure has some nice suits. Hey, I happen to think they overspent on some players not worth the money. But I also believe that, in his three or four years back running the ship, Gibbs will figure out how to win with this team -- he's too smart not to -- and add another Super Bowl title to his collection. Is that sugary enough? I really think that, by the way.

He completely sidesteps the guy's comment by talking about DS' suits, and then goes on to talk up Gibbs which the e-mailer expressly requested he not do because it was taking the easy way out.:doh:

No problem, Blondie...

Less is more

Peter King, SI.com

I am fortunate to have some terrific e-mailers each week. Lots of times I get ideas of what to write from you readers. The other day I was thinking of writing about which NFL team had enjoyed the best offseason when I opened up the ol' e-mail bag and got this missive, from Allen Bertsche of Rock Island, Ill.:

"It doesn't bother me a bit that you stray from football here and there. It makes you a person rather than a talking head.''

Why, thank you. But here's Allen's question:

"Which team do you feel has done the best imitation of the 'Patriots Formula' this offseason -- signing low-cost, little-known players who will take on key roles and build a team? We always hear about the big-name signees, but even after the Patriots' success, it is still hard to get good input on who is actually building a better team.''

The reason I love this question is that it gets to the heart of what's really important in the offseason, which is not about which team spent the most money. It's about which team spent money wisely on a slew of players who will contribute. That's the way the Patriots built a winner in 2001. Remember their offseason three years ago? They let a defensive tackle named Chad Eaton -- a good player whom the Pats wanted to keep -- sign with Seattle. The Patriots spread the amount of the signing bonus Seattle paid Eaton, $3.2 million, among 17 players, many of whom became key members of the Super Bowl team that stunned the Rams months later. Mike Vrabel, Otis Smith, Roman Pfifer, Larry Izzo, Je'Rod Cherry, Anthony Pleasant, Antowain Smith, Ken Walter. I mean, what a haul it was.

With that in mind, I'm sure you can guess that the team that most impressed me this offseason was not the franchise that spent with abandon. Washington has improved its team, probably a lot. But I'm not a fan of gigantic bonuses ($8 million) to pretty good players (Cornelius Griffin), which is how Washington has done business in the Dan Snyder Era. We'll see if it works this year with Joe Gibbs, a better coach than Snyder's ever had.

My 2004 offseason champ is Tampa Bay.

Now, when I list the guys they've added (not a complete list, just the guys I find intriguing), you'll scoff at some. Rightfully so. But Jon Gruden is doing in his second year what Bill Belichick did in his sophomore campaign in New England. He carpet-bombed the Wal-Mart shopping list of free agents. Some of them, such as wideout Joey Galloway, might pay big dividends. Others, i.e. defensive end Lamar King, could be busts and not survive the final cut. We'll see. But to me, winning the offseason is a lot like the way Jimmy Johnson used to approach drafts: Everybody's going to make mistakes, so you compile a boatload of picks so your mistakes are hidden by your successes. If you're any good, you'll be able to hit on 50 percent.

I happen to think Gruden, with an assist from his old Raider henchman, Bruce Allen, knows talent. What I like about what Tampa Bay has done:

Offense

I think Gruden could keep four quarterbacks, using Giants import Jason Garrett to tutor Chris Simms this season and act as a fourth guy. Brian Griese (Miami) will be No. 2 or 3. It's easy to give up on Griese. I probably would have, too. But four years ago he threw 19 touchdowns with four picks, and Gruden's the type of guy who can rediscover the good Griese if anyone can. Galloway (Dallas) and first-round pick Michael Clayton instantly rebuild the receiving corps into a very good unit, assuming Joe Jurevicius and the contractually angry Keenan McCardell come back strong. I like what's happened to the offensive line, and not just because a still-good Todd Steussie (Carolina) was signed. Attitude guys were imported. Derrick Deese (San Francisco), Matt O'Dwyer (Cincinnati) and Matt Stinchcomb (Oakland) are not very nice guys on the field. Wait till O'Dwyer tries to gouge a Panther's eye out. Oooh, fun times on the ol' gridiron. In the backfield, I hope Michael Pittman comesto camp with his competing shoes on. He's going to have to fight off Charlie Garner (Oakland), who is better, and the very underrated Jamel White (Cleveland), who might be. Greg Comella (Tennessee) is one of the best blocking fullbacks this side of the Pecos. Good signing.

Defense

Not quite the same impact here, but some signings of note. Allen spent just $25,000 apiece on two very interesting players. That's the signing bonus money he invested in troubled defensive tackle Darrell Russell (too bad a boy for even Washington) and oft-hurt defensive end Lamar King (Seattle). If one of them plays eight effective games, that $50,000 will be money well spent. If Ian Gold can come back from his Denver knee surgery, he should beat out Ryan Nece to win the starting outside linebacker spot opposite Derrick Brooks. Mario Edwards (Dallas) is a marginal improvement at nickel corner. Or maybe that will come from Tom Knight (Baltimore). Whatever, Tampa Bay needed help behind Ronde Barber and didn't have it last year.

Special Teams

I love the acquisition of linebacker Keith Burns (Denver), one of the league's best kamikazes. Maybe Josh Bidwell (Green Bay) might help, thought I'm not sure a punter with a career 41-yard average is anything to get excited about. Brandon Bennett (Cincinnati) is going to have to make his mark here to make the team.

That, to me, is the way to improve -- signing a bunch of guys for marginal money and hoping 50 or 60 percent of them pan out. I'm not picking the Bucs to win the Super Bowl, but I won't be surprised if they do. Not at all.

"Go back in history, and see the dramatic moments in Yankee history, and see how often these guys come up victorious. It's really amazing.''-- David Wells, San Diego pitcher, after the Yanks' 6-5, come-from-behind, 12-inning win at Yankee Stadium Sunday.

Now, even for a Red Sox person like me, I have to respect what New York did in this game. Respect, not like. Down 2-0 in the ninth inning with Trevor Hoffman pitching, Hideki Matsui and pinch-hitter Kenny Lofton hit consecutive homers deep to right. In the 12th, the Pads got three; Mariano Rivera was out with a bad back. The Yanks got four. That, my friends, is an all-time comeback.

Our friend from Illinois is not the only one to get an answer to an e-mail this week. We start in England, with an interesting query.

I LIKE TAYLOR. From Adam Barnes of Exeter, England: "Being a British fan of the NFL (I don't get to see much) coverage here. I just wanted to ask a question about who you think will play a bigger role in their relative defenses this year -- Sean Taylor with the Redskins or DeAngelo Hall with Atlanta.''

Taylor. Here's why: I think the Redskins need an impact safety, and I know they'll use him in multiple ways, both in coverage and attacking the line of scrimmage to stop the run and pester the quarterback. Taylor made a name for himself at Miami by launching himself into receivers coming across the middle and from his instinctive play around the ball. I'm not sure he'll have the monstrous early impact that Roy Williams has had in Dallas, but I think he'll be in the Pro Bowl by year three.

NO SOPRANOS? NO! WE CAN'T BEAR IT! From Darryl Bartsche of Blue Springs, Mo.: "Are you kidding me? Sopranos will not be on for 23 months? You give great insight on the football scene but even a better evaluation on the best show on TV!''

Aw, shucks. Maybe my neighbor David Chase will read this and decide not to take such a long vacation. I was telling someone the other day, "How many of these characters will be dead when they go to shoot again? They're not exactly spring chickens. How are they going to write these people out of the show?''

UH-OH. THIS GUY'S MAD ABOUT MY REDSKINS VIEWS. From Ben Kreider of Mount Joy, Pa.: "You wrote, 'I think Trung Canidate, Dave Fiore and Jeremiah Trotter sure made the difference for those Redskins, didn't they?' You ****. Just once, only once, please, with sugar on top, say something nice about my 'Skins. Something optimistic. And don't take the easy way out and say that Joe Gibbs was a great hire. You owe us for the bad info on Sean Taylor. By the way, except for your usually harsh (and all too often accurate) rips on the Redskins, I very much enjoy your column. I just was honorably discharged from the Navy, and during my five years overseas, you helped make my Tuesday mornings (time difference) brighter with football, Sopranos and, even softball updates. Thank you.''

Ben, I will say this. Dan Snyder sure has some nice suits. Hey, I happen to think they overspent on some players not worth the money. But I also believe that, in his three or four years back running the ship, Gibbs will figure out how to win with this team -- he's too smart not to -- and add another Super Bowl title to his collection. Is that sugary enough? I really think that, by the way.

THOUGHTS ON PARCELLS. From Noah Kahn of San Francisco: "I wanted your opinion on Bill Parcells' remark about the 'Jap plays.' Couldn't that have been replaced by any racial slur, if Parcells felt that were a fitting stereotypical description? Like, 'That's a cracker play,' or 'a wetback play.' The fact that he used it in public and then apologized, when it sounds to me like he uses that term to describe those plays within the ranks of his coaches, still strikes me as at least a little curious and insensitive. I would rather him not apologize for saying that if he used or continues to use that behind closed doors. Finally, his use of the word 'Oriental' also seems to be a bit out of touch. I am under the impression Oriental is used more or less to describe things like rugs nowadays, while Asian sees to be a more fitting term for people of Asian descent. Does Parcells need some sensitivity training?''

He might, but I would bet you my grande hazelnut latte that he'll never ask for it. Let me tell you what I think. Did you see the video clip of this incident? You almost had to if you want to form an opinion on it. When he first said, "No offense intended,'' he then used the 'Jap' term. And for a second, I think he knew he screwed up. Because then he came back and said, very seriously and plaintively, "No offense intended,'' and then paused for a second. That told me he knew he let something slip that he shouldn't have. As far as Parcells the guy, I've been with him a lot off the field, and I've never heard him say an insensitive word like that. I just haven't. But, you know, sometimes those things slip out from your inner being, and you regret them immediately. I think a fine or suspension is not in order. He's been punished enough in the court of public opinion.

THOUGHTS ON FISHER CATS. From Richard E. Rockwell of Westminster, Mass.: "I don't have a question for you. Just wanted to tell you that a Fisher Cat is not a cat. It is part of the ferret/wolverine family. Sports you know, but you are a little light on animal lineage.''

You can say that again, Richard.

THOUGHTS ON MMQB. From J.D. Fleming, of Waterloo, Ontario: "Just wanted to comment on the 'uproar' you cause any time you write about something other than football (e.g. softball games, Martin Sheen's character for President, etc.). There are many, many football columns from which to choose -- I read MMQB every week because you add these personal notes to your column. Keep up the good writing.''

Thanks. Next week's my last week for a while, J.D. I'm vacationing after that for a month.

From the season-ending Montclair High School softball banquet comes this stat: Crafty southpaw Mary Beth King has set the school record for lowest career ERA, 1.42.

This has to qualify as the latter.

I don't normally thank someone in print who's done me a colossal good turn, but I am here. Crack Red Sox senior manager of season and group sales (and closet Falcons freak) Corey Bowdre took me into the Green Monster while I was at Fenway last Wednesday for a visit with my daughter Laura and birthday trip. I got to put in two letters for the pregame "JUNE 9, 2004'' signage that goes up to greet fans. Those plates are heavy, by the way. That memory's a keeper, Corey. Thanks. I walked through the narrow sanctum just before a group of the Padres, including Bruce Bochy, did. Amazing how many names have signed the walls inside the dingy treasure over the years.

Memo to George Steinbrenner, by the way: Brian Cashman signed the wall inside the Monster. Next thing you know, Bill Clinton will sign the bathroom stall at the Reagan Library.

1. I think I have had enough of Mr. Absent, Plaxico Burress. Go to camp, work hard, shut up and put up big numbers. After averaging 57 catches and four touchdowns in four seasons, it appears the thing Burress is best at is making waves.

2. I think it will be hard to top the Super Bowl rings the Patriots received Sunday night at owner Bob Kraft's house. Each ring has 104 diamonds. I mean, how do you fit 104 diamonds on a ring? How in the world do you wear a ring with 104 diamonds?

3. I think one of the things I really respect about the Patriots is how they haven't gotten caught up in a war of words with Ty Law. It would have been easy, back when Law called Bill Belichick a liar and said he wanted out desperately, for the Patriots to fire back at Law, the highest-paid corner in football over the past five years, who is due to make slightly more than $7 million this year. But they didn't. And there was Law last night at the ring ceremony, saying, according to the Associated Press, "The toughest task now is, 'How are you going to top this?' Because we're going to win another one."

4. I think that last paragraph makes me pretty darned uneasy about picking a Seattle-Jacksonville Super Bowl.

5. I think Rich Gannon will start opening day, Sept. 12 at Pittsburgh, for the Raiders. Why? You'll have to read my story in this weeks week's issue of Sports Illustrated this week to find out.

6. I think the Eagles might have to look long and hard at the World Bowl MVP -- Berlin running back Eric McCoo, who had 28 carries for 167 yards in the 30-24 win over Frankfurt -- in training camp this summer. McCoo's the Penn State kid who never has found an NFL home. But guys like McCoo, Pats-allocated quarterback Rohan Davey and receiver Chas Gessner are good reasons why NFL Europe, though a money drain on the NFL, should continue to live. The league provides the necessary developmental time for guys who are otherwise getting rusty on the bottom of NFL rosters and cut lists.

7. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

a. One Six Feet Under unwatched, 11 or so to go. How was it? Perky? Optimistic? Thought so.

b. Four NBA Finals games unwatched, one or so to go. How were they? Physical? Brutal? Thought so.

c. I have watched baseball for a long time. Forty-one years, to be exact. And I have never in my life seen a baseball player leap as high as Pokey Reese did to catch a line drive Sunday night against the Dodgers. You think defense doesn't win games? Watch Reese. You'll think differently.

d. I don't think I should say this, because it labels me too much of a sniveling fan, but I got a Reese jersey for my birthday. And I was thrilled to receive it. To see someone play with the zeal and love for the game that Reese does ... well, I don't care how much the guy hits. I want him in my lineup every day of the week, and I hope for a doubleheader on Sunday. In the King family, we call him "The Pokester.''

e. Saw some Freddy Adu highlights on TV over the weekend. My neighbor, Don Garber, the MLS commissioner, has been telling me about the kid, and this was the first time I'd seen him play. And I have one word to say: Wow.

f. High-definition TV is absolutely, positively, wonderfully worth it. Please, TV people, more channels! Now! Before I go on vacation!

8. I think it's admirable, really, how much Drew Bledsoe is helping J.P. Losman in Buffalo. Bledsoe may lose his job there, but he'll lose it with class.

9. I think Rex Grossman will be in the top 10 in quarterback rating on Oct. 1.

10. I think Eddie George probably will stay in Tennessee now. I just think it'd be poetic justice if he played with Ray Lewis one of these days.

This is the same schmuck who said that the Redskins would absolutely, positively regret drafting Fred Smoot. AND he guaranteed it!

Peter King has alot of work to do to ever get my respect, and he needs to get his head out of the collective bowels of the Cowboys.

I refuse to support him by reading his crap anymore.

Originally posted by Blade

This is the same schmuck who said that the Redskins would absolutely, positively regret drafting Fred Smoot. AND he guaranteed it!

Peter King has alot of work to do to ever get my respect, and he needs to get his head out of the collective bowels of the Cowboys.

I refuse to support him by reading his crap anymore.

I feel exactly the same way as I stated a while back -

Read number 32

Archived